Home Technical Talk

I can't preview normal map details in 3ds max 2012!

Hey guys, I have tried so hard to get bump maps to work in 3dsMax, but for some reason Nitrous doesn't want to display them. I am completely confused and I am requesting help :(

Additionally, I gave the Xoluil shader a try and its really good, and it displays normal maps, but the problem is that I can't see vertexes in vertex selection mode (they turn into small 1px markers)

here is a picture to illustrate my problem with Direct3D in 3dsmax 2012:
http://i.imgur.com/qjxsH.jpg

Thanks for any help in advanced!

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Check the min spec for max and make sure you meet or exceed it. I think it requires a card that has vertex and pixel shader 3.0 capability, if you are on a laptop there is a good chance it is under powered.
  • Ben Cloward
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ben Cloward polycounter lvl 18
    Try turning off Gamma Correction in Customize->Preferences->Gamma and LUT. Turn it off, save the scene with it off, and then re-open the scene.

I've noticed that when gamma correction is on, even the normal maps get gamma correction applied to them, which of course totally destroys the normals. I believe that's what is happening in the screen shot you attached.
  • FractaL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mark, I have an HD6950 2GB, so I am overqualified there...

EDIT: just tried going the viewport displaymode>materials>realistic materials and maps

Normals display properly now, but I think I will have to switch back and forth between the xoluil shader for texturing and creating materials, and modeling with nitrous because his shader is top notch and It is disgusting to model in DirectX driver mode.

EDIT 2: ben you were right. Stupid gamma and LUT settings!!!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep they switched ON Gamma/LUT by default in 2012 and it jacked up a lot of people. I forget about it because there is a work around to force it to default to off.

With Gamma/LUT turned off save a blank scene as "maxstart.max" to the /3dsmax/scenes/ folder. That way it will load up each time max starts or you "reset".
  • tristamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tristamus polycounter lvl 9
    Normal maps are broken for Maya 2013 now, too. No idea what's going on...
  • chanti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    any one can send Xoluil shader download link please , i am searching long time please help me please send the link or shader to my mail id chanti.kakumar@gmail.com