Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] sybrix - Environment Artist

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
sybrix polycounter lvl 13
Hello PC!

I just updated my folio with some new stuff and redid some things. I'm graduating this summer and have been applying to some places for internships and some studio jobs. Haven't had much luck as of yet and was hoping I could get some feedback on my portfolio. Pretty much anything is up for crit - layout, content, etc.

Portfolio link: http://jbartwork.weebly.com

Thanks! :)

Replies

• SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    Like the tea house, water village not so much, too past gen
  • Marchwarden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the teahouse has alot of promise if you push it a little more. The fog is nice but it kills alot of the contrast; maybe pull that back to get some darker darks in there.

The other major thing that will make it a ton more interesting is to break up all the parallel lines. Right now the architecture is perfectly straight and aligned to a grid -- while this is technically correct in the real world, it's very boring and lifeless in a game, especially a beautifully hand painted one. Exaggerate!
  • North
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    North polycounter lvl 7
    your first piece is a little wierd with the non animated characters; reminds me of ocarina of time though.

alot of your work has sub par lighting; it really hurts the work. The hand painted props are nice by themselves in standalone shots.

High poly models look like they need a sculpting pass.

Overall it all could use a polish phase. Looks incomplete.

I would take Macys and SF party off your resume. Your resume should reflect you actually want to be an artist.

Your in a great area for work. Good Luck!
  • sybrix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sybrix polycounter lvl 13
    Thanks guys. I went back and applied some changes based on your crits. I reworked the lighting in the tree village scene and dialed down the fog in the tea garden. Working on revising the resume too.
  • respawnrt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    respawnrt polycounter lvl 8
    Hi there,i'd say you have some nice painted props in the first level but than you put what seems like a photo texture of a tree surface on the trees and i think it kills the scene a bit since it looks too obvious because of the size of the trees compared to everything else.You could put the same quality as you put in the props to your trees.