Home Technical Talk

Leap Motion + zbrush/mudbox

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
devingeesr polycounter lvl 13
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQkKyOOyLSs&feature=plcp"]Leap Motion hands-on - YouTube[/ame]
How sick would it be to have.

Replies

• devingeesr
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=99828&

The general consensus seemed to be less sweet and more meh.
  • devingeesr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    devingeesr polycounter lvl 13
    What if it'd used as a way to move around the model and select tools?
    You can still use the wacom for drawing and stuff and use the other hand to control other elements.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Did you put some more thought into it ? I mean, how would you foresee (precisely) how this could be useful ? Either with Zbrush and Mud in their current state accepting 2D cursor inputs only, or even imagining some future support for the Leap in the future.

Now I am not saying that this is not possible - but with the video above I see no practical application for demanding CG work. However if you can imagine an interesting way to use it for 3D (other than painful rotating and pinch-zoom to review the model) then this thread could be a good place to take things further and brainstorm fresh concepts and ideas :)

I personally could see it being used for ... quad/radial menus. For instance, mounting the device above the keyboard and teaching it a few gestures triggering certain brushes, tools or actions. A very transparent integration - just a shortcut tool really (with close to nothing "fancy" happening on screen).

As far as real time 3D manipulation I dont think it'll work too well if at all - because of the nature of our 3D programs really.
  • Jason Young
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jason Young polycounter lvl 14
    pior wrote: »
    I personally could see it being used for ... quad/radial menus. For instance, mounting the device above the keyboard and teaching it a few gestures triggering certain brushes, tools or actions. A very transparent integration - just a shortcut tool really (with close to nothing "fancy" happening on screen).

This functionality built into a cintiq or tablet pc would be neat.

Stuff like the leap that lacks tactile feedback is pretty useless for 3d work.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    New wacoms have all the multi touch crap don't they?
  • gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i'm going to hold of judgement on these things until get to use one. you could probably get the thing to work in 3d but the problem i see is calculating pressure on the surface. with a wacom it works with a simple mechanism in the pen. but how would you measure the pressure of a stroke on the surface of a 3d object?
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Necro. I just learned about this, apparently it's launching now. Sounds pretty badass, they say that Best Buy will at least carry them, I'm hoping they'll have a demo stand.

https://www.leapmotion.com/ for an updated video.