Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Michonne inspired 3D character- WIP

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
disanski polycounter lvl 14
Hello guys,
Here is something I have been working on for a while( a little too long already :)). I am going to try to make Michonne from The Walking Dead. Not really going for likeness with the actress from the tv show but going for something similar ( unfortunately I don't think I can post the reference I was using here). I took my time with the sculpt even if it will be fully dressed I wanted to practice my anatomy.
Here is what I have so far and I already got some feedback during some of the G+ hangouts but I would love to hear if you got any critiques for me :)
I will be also making the two zombies as well.
Now some images:
Latest updates:
full-view.jpg

Untitled-1.jpg
turn.jpg

close-up.jpg
hands.jpg

Replies

• disanski
    Offline / Send Message
    So I am back from vacation and found some more time to continue working on this. Added the hair and it will be just one strand of hair that I sculpted and painted in zbrush and unwrapped and baked already in max and I duplicated it and moved around. I will also be adding some alpha planes wrapped around every strand in order to break up the repetitiveness of it. It is already too heavy on the tri count - almost 20 000 just for the hair, but I figured if it is for a portfolio I can keep it like this? The rest should be no more than 10- 15 000 tris.
    I will try to make the arms a bit bigger/ stronger and I will be dressing her up next.
    Would love to hear if you guys think this ( anatomy, proportions, silhouette and anything else ) could be improved somehow before I start dressing her up.

turn_hair2.jpg
    turn_hair.jpg
    silhoette.jpg
  • Texelion
    Offline / Send Message
    Texelion polycounter lvl 8
    Looks good. Maybe the torso is a bit long and the butt is too low and too small. Well, African girls generally have bigger butts ^^, but maybe not Michonne.

The clavicles area looks really strange too, especially on the side view, there is definitely something wrong.
  • ebagg
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Great start on the anatomy and hair, hope you give her that big hood!
  • Kot_Leopold
    Offline / Send Message
    Kot_Leopold polycounter lvl 10
    Her butt cheeks are a little too flat. I would add some volume with claybuildup and if it's too much then I would push it in with the Move brush. The clavicles seem a tad too straight. Make sure they have an "S" curve from the top view.

clavicle-structure.jpeg

Good progress though!
  • MGM
    Offline / Send Message
    MGM polycounter lvl 12
  • Shendoo
    Offline / Send Message
    Shendoo polycounter lvl 13
  • disanski
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a lot for all the critiques guys. I worked some more on it today and I hope i fixed most of the problem areas. There is still work to be done on the ribcage and a bit on the arms.
    Mgm- right on man going to be looking out for your version of her and yes if I manage to finish this in a short time I will make the two zombies as well.
    Ebagg- yep I am planning to make that big hooded thing :)
    Here is a gif with the old sculpt and what I hope I improved today. I also shortened the torso a bit but right now I am just on the 4 heads mark for the middle of the body so I don't know if I should shorten it more?

gif.gif
  • disanski
    Offline / Send Message
    I am going to call the anatomy study done now and start dressing her up as I can keep working on this forever :) I made some more changes on the arms and the ribcage area.... Kind of feel good about it after all the tweaking....
    full-view.jpg
  • MGM
    Offline / Send Message
    MGM polycounter lvl 12