Home General Discussion

The Indie Game Thread

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
Someone on the forums recently mentioned that they aren't really up to date on indie games, lets fix that. Share some indie games you enjoyed, at least give a brief discription rather that just a link. I could post a crap ton of games but I don't really have the time right now, here's a small handful.

Eversion
free version
updated, better version on steam

A mario-esque platformer with a twist - in certain areas of the game you can switch to a another dimension that changes some of the rules of the game in order to make it past certain puzzles. I don't want to spoil it but there is an HP Lovecraft quote in start screen. It's currently on sale on steam for $2.49 until July 23rd, totally worth it. The steam version has better sprites and original music, I believe the free version is sort of cobbled together and I can't vouch for it.

I hesitate to post the trailer because the music is nothing like this and it doesn't have a crappy B&W old timy effect on it in game.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dnIamTjfKo"]Eversion Trailer - YouTube[/ame]

Gnomoria
It's Dwarf Fortress for people that got turned off by Dwarf Fortress - isometric sprite based graphics and a slightly less steep learning curve. It's still in development but you can pre-order it for $7.99 and get access to the beta, minecraft-style.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E75mL6R42i0"]Gnomoria - Alpha Gameplay Trailer - YouTube[/ame]

WARNING ART GAME INCOMING
Proteus
quote from the site
"Proteus is a game of pure exploration and discovery, developed by Ed Key with a reactive ambient soundtrack by David Kanaga."

I found it enjoyable, just a nice ambient exploration game with a few things to discover, it's still in development so there may be more mysteries to unlock down the line but the developer said he didn't want to game-ify it. It's about the price of going out to lunch, so brown bag it one day to balance out the cost.