Home Technical Talk

Big meshes modeling approaches

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Fnitrox polycounter lvl 6
Hi all, I'm starting an enviroement to get a hold of modular modeling.

now that i've modeled some basics meshes for my scene i got to the drawing board and concepted a little more on the exterior.

The scene it's a sci-fi spaceport for landing on a "holyday planet" and it should be placed on a cliff facing the ocean... I haven't done much concepting but i still have a clear idea of what i want it to look like in my mind.

So to the techincal question, I'm now modeling the landing platform for space ships which is a circular terrace suspended over the cliff and ocean, and its HUGE.
I don't have any expierience in modeling for an actual game level so i'd like suggestions on how to approach the modeling for this platform. I want it to be surrounded by some sort of railing like a small wall. I was thinking of modeling a section of the railing and tiling over by rotating it all around a circular area. Is this a "correct" way of doing it or are there any better workflows for such kind of areas?

for reference this is the blockout for the landing area in question... the tiny red box is a human scale reference
platformpreview.jpg

I don't know yet if'll be doing this in UDK or CE3, and since i'll be learning one or the other while doing this, i'm open to suggestion that works for anyone of them :D