Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[contest] Mixamo - Tamarin WIP

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Tamarin polycounter lvl 17
Her name is Zenobia and she is the warrior queen of the ancient Palmyrene empire. Half Greek, half Persian.

Not strong in anatomy or sculpting so thanks for any feedback. I was trying for a hero body-type so I think she is close to 8 heads.<<this is no longer true.

***updated with most recent***

day12o.jpg
2012-08-11
day13j.jpg
2012-08-11

Replies

• Tamarin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I tried sculpting the body again. This project has shown me how little I understand about the female form. I was trying to get a more "female" shape but feel like I have exaggerated too much. I was working off some Frank Frazetta sketches for inspiration. I like how he handles the female figure but I haven't got it down yet.

Looking for some helpful criticism.

***images removed***

-Andrew
  • Tits
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Hey buddy,
    Nice start! I think the harm and upper body has a nice start,
    Tho I think you should check the leg a little bit more, I feel like they are too spread and it looks a bit weird to me.
    Check your gravity center, if you look the side view of you character it looks like she's going to fall within a second.
    Try to align the ankle with the ear.
    But once again i'm far from being perfect myself but I hope it helps a little!
  • Tamarin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits wrote: »
    Hey buddy,
    Nice start! I think the harm and upper body has a nice start,
    Tho I think you should check the leg a little bit more, I feel like they are too spread and it looks a bit weird to me.
    Check your gravity center, if you look the side view of you character it looks like she's going to fall within a second.
    Try to align the ankle with the ear.
    But once again i'm far from being perfect myself but I hope it helps a little!

That does help! so thank you. Sometimes it is hard to see the obvious. I tried to straighten her up a bit so she wasn't falling forward and brought the legs together a bit. I also added some meat to her face and back while removing a bit from her stomach.

day5blarge.jpg
    2012-07-23

-Andrew
  • Tamarin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I might be getting worse every iteration... :(
    day6large.jpg
    2012-07-28
  • jeebs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeebs polycounter lvl 11
    I think the eyes should be deeper into the scull, other than that it looks well done
  • Di$array
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Di$array polycounter lvl 5
    Nice progress but I have a few suggestions.

The eye brows are too prominent on the head. You can see this in the 3/4 view in your latest update. Also I would move the ears and jaws inwards as the head it quite wide.

While we are on the head the top lip is quite large. Try thinning it and then moving it back a tad as it's sticking out too far at the moment.
    Example:
    12948527384IptPE.jpg

As for the torso I would bring the back in with the shoulder. She seems to be a hunch back at the moment :). The ribcage should be brought in so it just hides behind the breast in the front view. This can also be said for the hips. Bring them in.

Other than that its a great start. Just a little bit of tweaking and you are on you way. Also post your screens in perspective view.

Good luck.
  • Tamarin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Di$array wrote: »
    Nice progress but I have a few suggestions.

The eye brows are too prominent on the head. You can see this in the 3/4 view in your latest update. Also I would move the ears and jaws inwards as the head it quite wide.

I thinned out the head and tried re-working the eyes.
    While we are on the head the top lip is quite large. Try thinning it and then moving it back a tad as it's sticking out too far at the moment.

Top lip is thinner now. The mouth seems more open - so I might try and bring it more closed. Every change I make seems to affect something else and it ends up going in a big circle :) Good tip though.

As for the torso I would bring the back in with the shoulder. She seems to be a hunch back at the moment :). The ribcage should be brought in so it just hides behind the breast in the front view. This can also be said for the hips. Bring them in.

Hunch back was bad. Bringing everything else in was also good advice. I was trying really hard to make a "meaty" girl but attractive at the same time like the work of Frank Frazetta. I think I'll stick with more thin for now until I understand where all the fatty bits need to go to work out.

Still not there yet, but thanks for the crits. It helps out tonnes.

***images removed***
  • Tamarin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Starting on some clothes. I think I'll leave the body alone at this point.
  • Tamarin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Tits
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    chain looks nice, can't wait to see more!
  • Tamarin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Small update. I moved the chains around a bit and started some hair. Deadline is looking really close.
    day10.jpg
    2012-08-08
  • TigerGD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TigerGD polycounter lvl 9
    I'm not seeing anything yet to suggest that she's a queen. The chains and simple cloth make her look more like a slave, at this point. She could use some jewelry.
  • Tamarin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TigerGD wrote: »
    I'm not seeing anything yet to suggest that she's a queen. The chains and simple cloth make her look more like a slave, at this point. She could use some jewelry.

Very true. I was originally planning to do more full-body cloth with some kind of robe and cape but I had trouble creating something that looked realistic. Maybe next time I'll focus on cloth. I'll try and add more "rich" looking items to hopefully elevate her status a little.

day12o.jpg
    2012-08-11