[Mixamo Contest] Necromancer

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Texelion polycounter lvl 8
Latest Update :

Necro09.jpg

Necro10.jpg

Hey Polycounters,

I don't know if I will finish this in time, but worth a try...

I choose the Necromancer, I want to do a kind of Lich but it's not really clear for now in my head ^^. So I did some sketches :

necropirate01.jpg

necropirate03.jpg

I thought that a kind of Monkey-Pirate-Lich-Necro could be cool but... it's also too difficult ^^. I will try some other things and maybe focus on the refs I have. Maybe I try to mix too many things ?

Also, question for mixamo : may I add other weapons than the staff ? I wanted to add a pirate gun and a sabre.

Replies

• Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, I'm back.

Well, first I want to apologies : I'm not able to do something really original, I tried but I lack the skills... so, I will fall in the pit of laziness and easiness, and I will compensate by... sexyness.

I went back and started a new one, more "typical" we can say :

Necro01.jpg

Will do a lot of modifs, but there are the main forms... What do you think ?
  • fluor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fluor polycounter lvl 6
    Hey! Liking your second attempt more. "Typical" isn't always a bad thing if you're combining things that have worked before into something of your own.
    The monkey thing was really not my cup of tea. (Not a character I would like to play, so to say.)

For me, (female) necromancers should be either really sexy or old and wrinkled... and shady. I think the base forms are working if you work a little more on the legs/boots and make them more interesting (like her head and neck area, which I liked on the monkey versions too). And give her some badass gloves or something. The hands/arms look a little naked :D
    And even though the hat looks nice in the actual sculpt, I don't like its form in her silhouette (combined with the ears and hair), but that may just be my personal taste.
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback, fluor.

Yeah I will work the boots later, this area is not yet defined.

I reworked the hat and add horns to improve the silhouette ( I will put horns, skulls and other things like that ), and added the gloves. I added a big braid for the hair too.

And she has a skull in/on the chest, like this good ol' Shadowman, remember ? I really loved this game ^^.

Everything will be decorated ( well maybe not everything to avoid a massive confusion ^^ ) later.

Here is the last update for today, I begin to enjoy this character :

Necro02.jpg
  • Julia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is looking pretty BA right now. lol. I actually thought about 4 arms on my necromancer as well. That's crazy.
    Also. I LOVE how victorian-ish some parts of her are. Idk if you were going for that, but I love it.
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not sure, for now it's a mix of multiple inspirations and I think it's not working well. I think I should reshape the gloves like the hips ans shoulders.
  • Jigsaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jigsaw polycounter lvl 12
    Very cool outfit, I love the design of the headgear. The only thing that kind of irks me about it is how muddled its silhouette looks in the side view. Exaggerating the shapes of the horns and having them extend further might help.
  • fluor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fluor polycounter lvl 6
    I see what you mean with mix of different inspirations.
    I like what you did with her back and her head. (Although I agree it's a shame the horns can't be seen in her side view silhouette.) You might want to continue that theme onto her gloves (like bones, skulls etc. stuff). Maybe make her bones slightly visible on one arm or something. This way you can give her some asymmetry as well. (You can also do that by adding a few accessories which might add to her silhouette as well - like small skulls, loose bones, bandages, etcetcetc... I guess you were going to do that anyway though xD )
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the support guys.

I changed the horns a bit as you said, and I reshaped the dress which I didn't like. I reshaped the gloves too, and started to put some details, now this shit is becoming serious ^^. I did a test of a tortured guy, Instead of skulls I thought to put some screaming faces like that somewhere, maybe traped into the glove ( which could be made of glass or something transparent like a crystal ball ).

Necro03.jpg

Also, I think I will put some device to absorb the souls in one of the hand, something like that - ok the pic is bad but if you know Stargate, you see what I mean ^^):

1089303012.jpg
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    looking awezome, love the face! I did like the long skirt from your concept image though, are you still gonna add that or is it scrapped?
  • Di$array
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Di$array polycounter lvl 5
    Texelion wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback, fluor.

Yeah I will work the boots later, this area is not yet defined.

I reworked the hat and add horns to improve the silhouette ( I will put horns, skulls and other things like that ), and added the gloves. I added a big braid for the hair too.

And she has a skull in/on the chest, like this good ol' Shadowman, remember ? I really loved this game ^^.

Everything will be decorated ( well maybe not everything to avoid a massive confusion ^^ ) later.

Here is the last update for today, I begin to enjoy this character :

Necro02.jpg

Personally texelion I prefer your earlier design. She has a much stronger silhouette and I like the flat tophat as well.

Maybe some skull knee pads would add to the piece.
  • crazythisguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow!!! :O suppeeeerrrrr cooollll.. one hella sexy necromancer. :D and the details are super clean. cant wait to see the final output!!
  • ro-zee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Liking it! I kind of agree Di$array with the hat, the flat top looked a lot better in silhouette, especially from the side. But i like the themes you've got going. You should continue the skull/skeleton motifs on the legs. Maybe a skull or a face on her belt, like over her belly, would look cool, with glowing eyes or something haha
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not sure for the hat, I don't really like the old one, neither the new one, looks like a cake with candles XD. But I modified the little horns.

Ok, here is an update... maybe, I say MAYBE I went to far... time to step back, watcha think ?

Necro04.jpg

Necro05.jpg

Soooooo... I added a lot of things, the skull knee pad ( original isn't it ? ), the Necronomicon ( I will sculpt it like the one in Evil Dead ^^ ), and a lot of horns/teeth I'm sure I have to remove for the tricount -_-' ... I indicated in red the parts I'm not happy with ( hair is not done ).

For the boots I wanted some kind of Witchblade look. They look really heavy, I think it gives weight to the character.

Yeah ro-zee I think I will add glowing eyes and this kind of stuff, I never did emissive on any of my work ^^.
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    I dont think you went to far, you can always tone down stuff in the texturing phase if you really feel the need for it.
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok maybe I won't remove things ^^.

I don't want to flood but here is a quick idea I had for the hat : it's a big crystal ball with metal stuff :

Necro06.jpg

Also, I will put the book on the side instead of the back to break the symetry.
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aaaaand here she is. I think I finished the "blockout", now I can start to refine the shapes and exit dynamesh. I changed the hat a bit again and defined the hair more. I put the book on the side too.

Necro07.jpg

Honestly I don't know if I have to put something on the blank spaces ( dress, gauntlets and pauldrons ) as I already have a lot of details...

Need help ^^.
  • ro-zee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good, i like the hat a lot better now, it looks a LOT better in silhouette : ) Honestly I wouldn't be too stressed about lack of details in those areas at this point, use your texture to put the details into the fabric especially. Fabric gets overlooked quite a lot but it has a lot of potential for some really nice details.
  • bggeneral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bggeneral polycounter lvl 9
    Wow looks great so far. I like the idea of the book. May be make it a bit bigger, no? And may be make some additional details on the 'hard' cover and place there some sort of lock\buckle.. About the blank spaces, may be some pattern\ornament like you did on the boots? But you can always paint it on the texture down the road.. The creature face on the back of the hat looks a bit odd to me, because it is on the back :) But on the other side it's balanced with the other details.. Nice 'elven' ears :D
  • nechnechmo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nechnechmo polycounter lvl 6
    I really love the silhouette. As for the upper part of your concept, you can remove the goggles and replace them with real eyes, or something that are not goggles. It looks like a steam punk but all in all you're doing good! Can't wait for the final output!
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone.

ro-zee : yeah, I didn't talk only about the sculpt but also the texture. Will see that later.

bg : I will sculpt the cover of the book with the Necronomicon Ex Mortis from Evil Dead.

1223694078885_f.jpg

Ok it' looks bad, maybe I will try to embellish it a bit ^^.

nech : I will keep the "googles". It's a mask, and almost everybody liked "the face" even before I sculpt the face, so I think they talked about the mask. It gives her some mystery, and the big round eyes will glow, will be cool ^^.

I will spend some time on the GW2 beta week end so I will slow down the sculpt a bit. I did a first pass on the details of the bust, still need a second pass, especially the head/skin and the mask. The corset is almost done.

I think I will do something original : an African necromancer... that's why her lips and nose are so big. But I'm not trully happy with the face, need more work.

Watcha think ?

Necro08.jpg
  • SharDCG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SharDCG polycounter lvl 8
    great work, man! like it very much
  • Nello
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nello polycounter lvl 5
  • jeffreak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeffreak polycounter lvl 6
    Awesome! The silhouette reads well and I love the details
  • nechnechmo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow! I'm loving the intricate details!
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the support guys.

Ok here is some progress, I did a second pass on the "hat/helmet/mask/thing" and the skin. I also finished the lower body, and found something to put in the blank spaces ( a kind of "human flesh leather" ).

I removed the spiral ornaments because I will paint them in the diffuse, they don't need to be sculpted.

I'm still not happy with the mouth, but I changed the chin a bit, it was too small.

Necro09.jpg

Some close shots :

Necro10.jpg

I removed the book for now, because I don't know what to put on it. Evil Dead's Necronomicon is really too ugly and don't fit the design. Any idea ?

Here is what I have for the moment :

Necro11.jpg

I think it will be difficult to be under the 15 000 tris so I need to keep it simple, no old used book or things like that.
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    looking good, the hands are kinda boring though, you have so much detail everywhere but there, they feel kind of empty and bland, and does not really fit the style of the rest of the armor.
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Better now ? ^^

Necro12.jpg

I also did another belt, the first one was wrong, and reworked the boots.
  • Dan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    love these big chunky forms- great stuff.
  • DockRock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DockRock polycounter lvl 8
    This is looking cool! I'm diggin' the style!
  • DBentley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Loving the intricacies of this thing! Those boots, in particular, I'm digging alot!

Can't wait to see how this turns out.
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Took me 2 days but I finally have a lowpoly mesh under 15 000 tris ^^. I could optimize it more if I need.

Necro13.jpg

Character : 13 501 tris
    Book : 570 tris
    Staff : 912 tris
    Total : 14 983 tris

I left some tris on the backside of the skirt, even if we don't see them here, it could move.
  • jeebs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeebs polycounter lvl 11
    I noticed that her eyes are flat in low poly, will it be ok that way? when at the same time there's so much tris spent on the lips.
  • SharDCG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SharDCG polycounter lvl 8
    0_о strange wire on her face
  • boybawang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice. Almost done. By the way just wanna ask. Are you goin to combine the weapon and the body in one map? Or are you gonna separate the weapon in another map? Coz im a little bit confuse if its allowed to pass two color maps ( body and the weapon)
  • jeebs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeebs polycounter lvl 11
    it was said in the rules: 2048x2048 Textures Max ( this is cumulative so 4x1024^2 is ok ). if I understood it correctly then it is possible to make few maps as long as a whole space is no more than 2048x2048
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah the flat eyes were for a test, it failed ^^. Well, it's not really bad as we don't really see the holes in a silhouette, but the shading is weird under the eyebrows and the "eyes" looks deformed.

I added some tris here and reduced the nose and lips area. It's 14 999 tris now ^^.

For the texture we can use 4x1024 yeah, but I think it's not usefull, and it's better not to separate the texture of a single character if it's not needed. It's odd to put the weapon on it though, but using a 1024 just for the staff is a waist of space imo.

Anyway I was surprised to see that the weapon was included in the tricount and the 2048px². Between an assassin with small daggers and a knight with sword and shield, the difference can be really heavy.

But it's the same for everything. You can choose to put a lot of tris in the character itself, or do a simple character but with a lot of accessories. What's the most important ?

And I don't even talk about animation topology. technically, a game character should be able to move and talk, but here we just don't care...
  • boybawang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    o. I guess ill just combined them all in one map. thanx
  • bggeneral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The low poly model looks pretty good, except that was already mentioned about the eyes\goggles and there is too high density in the nose-lips area.

About the 'weird' shading under the eyebrows and probably some other areas if there are the same issues, may be different smooth groups would solve the problem..

Also I would not spent triangles to hmm.. the laces on the torso cloth, but bake them to the normal map instead.

And by the way your high poly sculpt looks great :)

Looking forward to your texturing.
  • nechnechmo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can't wait to see it with texture!
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    I think they said in the info thread on page 2 somewhere that the weapons can have their own textures, which would make sense, cause the weapon files you can download from their site have unique textures, and I cant think they would force us to match our own UV islands into those files.

can do we confirm this info?
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damn, too late, I already put the weapon on the 2048 ^^.

I spent the day making UVs, baking and optimization, then re-UVs and rebaking, and re-optimization, and re-re UVs and re-re-baking... FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU !

BUT FINALLY here is the "final" lowpoly rendered in Marmo with normal map and AO+Bent Normals ( green chan ).

14 996 tris, everything on the 2048. Hell ya !

Necro14.jpg

And the wire :

Necro15.jpg

Tomorow I'll start the texturing.
  • Caldria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Caldria polycounter lvl 8
    Looking great so far Texelion, is the AO baked from exploded or un-exploded mesh? or both combined? Looks nice and clean.
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    hey Tex, not to be a douche or anything, but the staff looks really boring xD

the character is sooo much cooler then the staff and I really think you should rework it.
  • Di$array
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Di$array polycounter lvl 5
    Loving the changes Tex. You've really pushed the design further and it works. I really like the lace on the corset too, really nice addition.

Cannot wait till your first texture pass.
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Caldria : I separated everything for the baking. The AO and Bent normals are really soft. I will add the missing AO manually.

lotet : yeah I know, but I thought that the weapon was not included in the 15 000 tris and... it does. As I put almost all the tricount in the character, I don't have enough tris to do a cool staff ( plus, I'm not good at weapon design ^^ ), and I think that a really cool staff with interesting shapes could take at least 3000 tris.

But as we can take the weapon provided by Mixamo, honestly I don't think that the look of the staff is important. I mean, it's a character contest, not a weapon contest.

But I could do another staff later for myself with no restrictions.

Di$array : Thanks ^^.

Some news : I reworked the shape of the breast and added some tris to have a smoother silhouette. Of course I had to remove some tris elsewhere so I optimized the horns a bit ( too much edge loops ). I also removed that uggly and flat armband.

I'll start the texture now. The lack of concept will slow me down as I really don't know which colors and materials I will use ^^.
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK, I'm really bad with colors so I really need help ^^. The texturing itself is not a problem, it's the choice of a color scheme.

Here are 3 attempts, tons of shit, I just don't like them.

Necro16.jpg

I tried to use "classical" color schemes, in my refs necromancer are generally violet/purple/pink, green and dark blue :

- green and red/orange : Poison Ivy, but it looks too much "Irish" and natural.

- purple and green : mad characters wear these color, as the Joker or the Mad Hatter.

- black and red : I had Harley Quinn and the Red Heart Queen in mind. But they don't fit for a necro.

HALP !
  • bggeneral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    May be more desaturated dark\grey colors with red\orange glowing spots\details at some parts of the clothes?

Also your character somehow reminds me witch doctor from Diablo 3 (I didn't play though) :), may be it's worth to use some ideas from his\her 'outfit'?

From those variants you posted, I like the third one - black, orange and red.
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    I like the green one, and the red one, the cloth looks better in red IMO, but the details, like all the bones n shit looks better in the light colors of the green one. if you turned all these black and white the green one is definitely the best, it got the right values, but the red one has the better hues.

have you tried one with less colors? right now EVERYTHING is either green, red or blue.
  • Evanescfan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Details are amazing... its kinda hard to stop looking at this....
  • nechnechmo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll go for green. You can put some other shades like yellow or orange on some part but just a little tint of it. You can try gradient effect too. You picked a nice skin color in option one.