Home Technical Talk

Annoying Screen Flickering in Maya 2013

polygon
Offline / Send Message
schneller polygon
I'm using Maya 2013 64 bit (the free student version) and every 20-30 seconds my viewport flickers white. It's driving me nuts!

This started when I added a second monitor to my setup. I've checked and the flicker happens on both screens. I've updated my GPU drivers to the latest (I have an nVidia 9800 GTX), and my monitor drivers are also up-to-date, so I'm sort of stumped.

Any suggestions? I've postulated that perhaps my graphics card is crapping out, but I'm not sure how to confirm that.

Replies

• throttlekitty
    It could be overheating, keep an eye on the temperatures.

Only in Maya? - Maybe look into searching for "nvidia dual monitor flickering" or adding "Maya" into that search.

Have you tried reverting to a single monitor for a while? (if this is compounded by heat, might need to cool down first before this test is useful) Maybe swap connectors, change refresh rates or resolution.
  • schneller
    Offline / Send Message
    schneller polygon
    Yup, Maya only. I'm running Win 7 Ultimate 64bit w/SP 1, for what it's worth.

I searched around before posting here and either found very similar threads that never got answered, or things that were similar but didn't help me. For example, a common thing was to disable Threaded Optimization on the graphics card by going through the nVidia Control Center. I've also checked in Maya to make sure "Fast Interaction" is turned off, and have tried putting this "MAYA_GEFORCE_SKIP_OVERLAY=1" into my Maya.env file. I'm starting to think this is indeed a hardware issue.

I'm watching my temps and I'm getting about 62 C at idle. Seems a bit high to me, but the fan is defaulting at 39%. I'll see if I can fiddle with the fan settings tonight. As for disconnecting my second monitor, I'll give that a try when I get home.

To be more descriptive about the problem, it looks very similar to if you tap spacebar twice quickly while in the viewport to go to orthos, then back to perspective (the quick flash that occurs during the transition).

Thanks for the help!
  • throttlekitty
    Oh, kind of a one-off here, but do you have any always-on background apps running?