Home General Discussion

Texturing: True res vs. Resizing

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Mcejn polycounter lvl 12
So I've been curious as to what approaches some of you other artists take when texturing. I remember reading Ben Mathis' tutorial on "true resolution vs. double sizing", and pretty much agreed as I create my textures at the target resolution, instead of scaling down, for a lot of the same reasons he touched on.

He also made the fine point of stating: "Again, if you are already fantastic at texturing, and you resize. By all means, continue doing it. It is, and always will be, the ingame results that count."

So what's the word, is there a general consensus on this? Do you texture at a target resolution, or double size that shit?

Replies

• PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    well if your game is console and PC, I find myself texturing at double res from the console version ones so if target res on 360 is usually a bunch of 512s most of my textures are created at 1024 for a consistent density when they are shown on a PC with higher settings.
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    Its all about context. If your making small textures for mobile or something similar, where the individual pixel really matters- then true res is your buddy.

If your working with tech that has a bit more allowance I`d say work bigger. The main reason for this has nothing to do with how the end result looks, but more so to do with thinking ahead. A project or two ago I made a bunch of textures at 1024, and res-ed them down to 512`s for the 360. THEN we ended up doing a high end PC mode that allowed for 2048`s- SO I had to go back and remake and rebake all of my textures at this higher res, that I *should* have started with in the first place.

All game art is heavily inlfulenced by context.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    when I use 3d paint apps, I work at double resolution because artifacts and overall jankyness that can pop up.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I totally agree with what has already been said and I'll add that no matter which way you're working its smart to error on authoring on the larger size rather than to go too small. By that I mean make sure that your fine details will hold up if down res'ed.

Stay away from thin type and 1px lines that will disappear or become a mess to clean up if you down res. Even if you think you are at "true res" you never really know if someone is going to issue a edict from on high that everything must be cut in half... typically at the end of a dev cycle when you don't have time to redo a bunch of stuff...
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    Double Size Mofo!!

c01.jpg
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    I work double rez for the reasons stated above, never know when you need it, unless its a 4k texture originally, I hate doing 8k textures! :D
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    double rez dawg! 512x512!! hey what's so funny?
  • Daelus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Double size. Who knows what the future holds? It's always easier to scale down than to scale up.
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    Also, often you make double size res of the normal map, to get all the details right, because it looks better to render it double size and then scale it in a proper program, then to render it out in the normal size. You get more crisp details, at least thats my experience.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    True Rez, but I don't feel strongly about it either way.

Personally I just find it saves me a bit of time (both creating and itirating).

One minor advantage to True Rez is right-angle pixel painted sharpness, but you see in engine is mipped, filtered, and compressed anyways, so any additional 'sharpness' you would've gained is lost or negligible.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When you get to larger sizes like 2048 there is really very very little reason to work double size because:
    A. Its huge already and on most platforms(less than max PC settings and consoles) its going to get sized down/mipped
    B. 4096x4096 = massive massive photoshop files when you've got a lot of layers going on.

Also, lets be real here, this isn't "double size" its "quadrupedal size" 2-demensional images yo. Working at 4x the resolution is in most cases simply excessive. When you size an image down to the next lowest mip you're quartering the resolution, not halving.

Justin's point about 3d painting apps is solid though, there may be some technical reasons like that where it makes sense.

I used to work at 2x2x, but after so many odd years you realize you rarely if ever need to come back to that higher resolution source and do anything with it. Hero assets that are likely to need that treatment are usually already at an adequately high resolution. Sizing down is sooo much more common unless you're switching target systems mid-project.
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    QUAD SIZE FTW. :P

Another interesting tidbit:

For efficiency and time savings, working *too* large can be a huge waste of time.
    Think about it as if your a painter- who's been commissioned to paint a painting. They`ll pay you the same if you paint a 4ftx4ft canvas, as they would if you painted a 2ftx2ft canvas. Why then, in this case, would you quadruple your work load?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct wrote: »
    QUAD SIZE FTW. :P

Another interesting tidbit:

For efficiency and time savings, working *too* large can be a huge waste of time.
    Think about it as if your a painter- who's been commissioned to paint a painting. They`ll pay you the same if you paint a 4ftx4ft canvas, as they would if you painted a 2ftx2ft canvas. Why then, in this case, would you quadruple your work load?

Exactly, and while it generally isn't a 1:1 increase in time spent, it is extra work and in most cases wasted effort.

If you work at true res you'll work faster, and have a better idea of the overall end product.

Lets say true res is 1024x1024, 2x2x res is 2048x2048, but most players are running the game on medium settings or on a console, where the texture is 512x512 max, and more realistically mipped down to 256x256 at most distances.

So, you're making a 2048 for what will in most cases appear at a 256 mip in game? Hmmmm

Well, more important than the actual resolution is making sure your forms and materials read up close and at a distance though.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like to work True Rez for personal stuff, but everything I've done professionally has been double-sized as a "just in case we need it later" instruction. Except the film stuff, they almost always stay 8k (which my comp does not care for at all).
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    I prefer to work at res when possible. I started my career working with 32x32 sprites. This trained me to work on a per pixel level. As the years have passed and the textures sizes increased, I've found this a hard habit to kick. I just want to get in and noodle! The larger the texture the longer it takes me.

With that said, I work at a larger res these days as I never know if an asset will need to be in cenimatics or promotional art. having the larger source material saves a lot of headaches down the road.

- BoBo
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    Hmm, I actually wonder if it would be possible to have different kinds of resolutions in the same document. ;) So when you save out your normal, diffuse, specular in different sizes.
    Just wondering.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea when I say double res (actually quad-res thanks to EQ), that normally means the final resolutions are 512, 1024 or in rare cases 2048.

So I'm working at 1024 or 2048.

4096 doesn't' seem to be much of a difference when you drop it down.

8192 is just way too big and I honestly don't know what to do with that much space... I would probably need to redo a bunch of brushes and watch how many layers I create.
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And also when you do work on high resolutions, make sure you submit it at the right resolution, mipmap, compression settings ect. They will love you for having a ton of high res textures floating around when it comes to memory and disc space.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    I always work in 2048s and rez down and put a sharpen script to make it tighter. Why? Because you never know when you need to have a nice hi rez production shot for an ad or a trailer or something. Or for cinematic purposes. I just don't want to leave myself in a situation where I am going to have to uprez something.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    I don't like the quad-rez upscale idea, since more times then not, on personal stuff, it got me in a tight spot and I had to restart or change entire parts of my models.

Example are boots on a character that had new-age art patterns, like flowers and other curved round design, getting them painted at 2K then downsized butchered the entire design, especially if it's one of those 'everything must be on one sheet'.

From that day on, I pretty much will test out the detail of model for the finale result, if the smallest detail doesn't hold up and become a massive mess of line and pixels, even blurred, then I will simply paint at true rez everything else to help context.

Also, to note as other have said, once you hit 2K, going over it to 4K is kinda overkill, since consoles barely touch that limit, and PS, if your hardware is sub-par, will chug at 4K texture, and many 3D painting apps like Viewport Canvas in Max, Vertex-Painting in ZB and Mudbox will chug if you try the higher up numbers for a final composition (In the case of ZB, you need 8M polies to equate to 2K texture space IIRC).
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    i hate quad res.

all too often clients will request that you texture an ingame-res 2048 at 4096 and it drives me nuts. the reason it drives me nuts, however, is not because my pc sucks--it's because clients expect the artist to add lots of little micro details which will blend together and end up lost at the ingame resolution. in addition, you will need to remove noise from high res photo overlays to make them survive at actual res, and it's a waste of time for everyone involved.

as EQ said, it's much more important that your forms and materials read well at the ingame res--but we all know that flies over the head of most!
  • Brygelsmack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brygelsmack polycounter lvl 11
    I always bake/make my textures at 2048. Like others have said, you never know.
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    B. 4048x4048 = massive massive photoshop files when you've got a lot of layers going on.
    Is that a common resolution? I always thought it had to be power of two, like 512x512, 1024x1024, 2048x2048 and 4096x4096. Confused here! :poly136:
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    I believe everyone here authors at 2k and down rezs. At least on envios. Not sure about characters and such.
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    Depends on the time given. Though we still bump up the details since our 1024s get compressed down to 512s in-game. :p
  • Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    I'm a true sizer, always have been!! Fuck the haters

Seriously though I find painting in true size saves me a lot of time and if I can get something looking good at the actual size I don't need to be afraid of it being scaled down at some point and losing details.
    I also just really enjoy utilizing every pixel :)
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Peris wrote: »
    I don't need to be afraid of it being scaled down at some point and losing details.

Curious what do you all do when you have to scale It up. :(
    I know you would ask a million and 1 questions to be sure before hand but just curious, what then?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I always bake/make my textures at 2048. Like others have said, you never know.

Is that a common resolution? I always thought it had to be power of two, like 512x512, 1024x1024, 2048x2048 and 4096x4096. Confused here! :poly136:

No sorry just a typo, 4096x4096.
  • Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    scaling up does not mean better looking!
    If you can make it look good at it's proper resolution, there's no need for upscaling :).
  • throttlekitty
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    $!nz wrote: »
    Curious what do you all do when you have to scale It up. :(
    I know you would ask a million and 1 questions to be sure before hand but just curious, what then?

If i have to scale up i run reduce noise and then paint detail back in, I work on diffuse only games
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    For me it depends really, at home I usually work with 1024x1024 and scale them down to 512x512. I rarely go above 2048x2048. Maybe I should though it was quite some time ago I worked with some kind of high-res textures. My approach has been lots of tiling 512x512s lately.