Home General Discussion

Folio quality in actual games.

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Snacuum polycounter lvl 9
Some people will think this is one of the noobiest questions.

I see so much awesome art here, and I mean just so awesome, like Dominance War stuff and the like and I know it is for people's folios for game art and they make sure it's showcased as such, with game-structure and real-time renderers and engines like Unreal and Marmoset. But I'm curious, as I'm yet to see any games with quality like that. Good quality but never as awesome as, well what's showing in the banners right now.

I know it is kind of explained by all the other processes, like AI, collision, scripts, systems, engine constraints, LOD, memory allocation, etc etc. But I still wonder...

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I hate to be a blizzard fan boy but that's all I can think of right now

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UziEGCVXWY4"]StarCraft 2: Saving Warfield on Char in 1080p - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOkY4LjBB5I"]Diablo 3, from a new angle. - YouTube[/ame]

and some almost next gen stuff

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUAj9tz24KQ"]Stone Giant DX11 DEMO - YouTube[/ame]

and rage

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_l-PDXjlCeU"]ASUS G74SX & RAGE = AWESOME, HD !!! - YouTube[/ame]
  • Macattackk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Macattackk polycounter lvl 7
    I know it is kind of explained by all the other processes, like AI, collision, scripts, systems, engine constraints, LOD, memory allocation, etc etc. But I still wonder...

thats pretty much why. With portfolio pieces you only have to worry about the graphics. If its still shots you could technically boost up the quality as much as you want. Like add higher quality shadows and take pictures at higher resolutions than normal and compress them etc.

Graphics are always the most intensive things in games but not having to have it be shown real time and not needing to deal with programming performance etc is the reason. Current games will never catch up with current portfolio pieces.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    remember, the banner pictures are from some of the very best.
    not every studio can hire the very best for every position.
    add time and personnel constraints
    add hardware / distribution constraints (e.g. we need to squeeze it all on 1 disc!)
    not all people deliver constant quality
    not all art directors care as much about quality as certain individuals do - i.e. you don't have to be happy with the asset, as long as the AD ok's it and the schedule (time = money) requires you to move on.

There's probably many more reasons...
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Well, it depends on the game really. If you're doing a tunnel-shooter type game then yeah you can cram a lot of visual flare in. If you're creating an open-world game the quality usually is a bit lower on each asset. Spending most of the budget on the things you see most.

Then it's a lot about optimization for each platform, things might run supersmooth on the X360 but run like crap on the PS3. Then it's down to figuring out why and if it's optimizations that can be done in the actual engine or if the art just doesn't balance the performance between the two.

Then it's also about the balance between game-design/level-design and level art/environment art. There is a lot of iterations going on , lots of people changing their mind about stuff, level layouts change making it so that you have to redo some work etc etc. Which could hurt the visual quality as well.

You'll end up in cases where you have to Art up something that has a really bad approach/framing/composition from the get go. Which will make it quite tricky to look good. Good teamwork and planning within the team helps both the gameplay and the visuals.

Creating art for just art is easy, combining gameplay and balancing everything for optimization is a bit trickier though.
  • Shneider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, it depends on the game really. If you're doing a tunnel-shooter type game then yeah you can cram a lot of visual flare in. If you're creating an open-world game the quality usually is a bit lower on each asset. Spending most of the budget on the things you see most.

Then it's a lot about optimization for each platform, things might run supersmooth on the X360 but run like crap on the PS3. Then it's down to figuring out why and if it's optimizations that can be done in the actual engine or if the art just doesn't balance the performance between the two.

Then it's also about the balance between game-design/level-design and level art/environment art. There is a lot of iterations going on , lots of people changing their mind about stuff, level layouts change making it so that you have to redo some work etc etc. Which could hurt the visual quality as well.

You'll end up in cases where you have to Art up something that has a really bad approach/framing/composition from the get go. Which will make it quite tricky to look good. Good teamwork and planning within the team helps both the gameplay and the visuals.

Creating art for just art is easy, combining gameplay and balancing everything for optimization is a bit trickier though.

Thanks. Informative post.
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    Kwramm wrote: »
    remember, the banner pictures are from some of the very best.
    not every studio can hire the very best for every position.
    add time and personnel constraints
    add hardware / distribution constraints (e.g. we need to squeeze it all on 1 disc!)
    not all people deliver constant quality
    not all art directors care as much about quality as certain individuals do - i.e. you don't have to be happy with the asset, as long as the AD ok's it and the schedule (time = money) requires you to move on.

There's probably many more reasons...

Actually we all should be thankful for that :)
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    One thing to consider: in a portfolio piece you can have the perfect angle and the perfect lighting setup.

In a game you often give the player the freedom to look at things from less optimal angles, it's often impossible to ensure perfect angles in games.
  • Snacuum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I felt like it was really down to the variables including how much of an artist's 'best' went into it. I suppose I just got all excited when I looked at some of the stuff like Bee-bee's chopper and Bogdanbl4's barbarian and thought: damn it would be so cool to see/interact with that in game.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    I think at Splash Damage we're always striving for that sort of art. I know artists here don't cut down on quality when they're making stuff to go into the game...

Just look at that Futuristic City and then maps like Founders Tower from Brink.
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    ^ Kind of agree. Fell madly in love with Brink's style like a year before release, bought it on day 1, played it about 3 hours before rage-quitting. Such a shame there's such a discrepancy between looks and gameplay :)

But yeah, back to topic!
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    Don't forget the time spent on each character. Dominance war is a bit more than 2 months long whereas characters in a studio usually should take a few weeks. There is of course a question of how much free time you have to spend on the DW character but if you're unemployed or on a vacation then you have much more time to spend on it.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    In studio, you have time constraints and schedules to follow. So, someone on this forum could spend 3 weeks making the perfect fire hydrant, that is game specs, but way higher quality than what you see in games. But in studio, they may only give you a day to do it, if not less.

Polycount = making every prop the best it can be

Studio work = making the environment look good as a whole, spending your time on "Hero pieces", such as large statues and fountains that players will see with ease, and might even stop to admire, as opposed to a fire hydrant that regular players dont ever look at. They run right past it. Plus, memory limits are a B*tch......

That being said, not ALL studios are like that, like the examples above. And with next gen, you`ll start seeing way higher quality from the studios that can afford it.

Exhibit A

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVX0OUO9ptU"]Agni's Philosophy -- FINAL FANTASY REALTIME TECH DEMO - YouTube[/ame]

At around 0:45, all those particle looking things arent actually particles. They are geo...
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    You do actually realize, that this is not an actual game?
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Never said it was. It's a realtime tech demo using a game engine, showing what next gen has the power to do.
  • Snacuum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman wrote: »
    Don't forget the time spent on each character. Dominance war is a bit more than 2 months long whereas characters in a studio usually should take a few weeks. There is of course a question of how much free time you have to spend on the DW character but if you're unemployed or on a vacation then you have much more time to spend on it.

Absolutely I respect that. Even more so I understand that there would have been a whole lot of studios screaming for their art to hit that zenith and then mid-ways through production realising they had to rescale it so all the tech fit together.
    Shame your designers don't feel the same way...

Whilst that sounds harsh, it is unfortunate that the art/fx/technical and in most cases audio teams are constantly working to exceed the highest expectations, designers are clearly a step behind.

This will sound mean but designers don't just have to make stuff pretty. It's a lot more guesswork in terms of what the player will do with your game, not to mention that most people say "just make it fun" forgetting that "fun" is not a scientific constant.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snacuum wrote: »
    Most of the time running on 360's that are pushing 8-9 years old and were not all that technologically advanced when they launched.

For the past several years Epic has been packing features into UDK that 360's just can't handle, all of the work you see is being done on PC's that are able to handle so much more and displaying so much less. One character in a UDK scene isn't going to chug much of anything without all of the other stuff, especially on a PC that was built 6mo-2yrs ago.

But still that only limits developers to a certain degree, the games are still heavily influenced by art direction, design, time and talent. Most of what you see are labors of love and people are doing it because they are really crazy excited about the piece, in production that might not always be true. Often even if they wanted to they might not get the time to pour in that extra love that a personal project would get.

You are also looking at banners that where more or less, for lack of a better term, bullshots. Specifically created and tweaked for one or two angles using most of the resources in the engine to light one object.

The big hit to most games is multi-platform, often the bar gets set as low as the slowest hardware.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    Snacuum: neither is pretty so easily defined.both are obvious when you see em tho
  • Mask_Salesman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    Time & resource limitation are big ones.
    Consistency should also play a fair part, everything can't be a "hero piece" as said. Not to insinuate that level of quality over everything is unfeasible due to time constraints, but if everything was a unique point of detail things could get inconsistent very easily.

One of the first things I noticed about being a dev was that making a portfolio piece and making game art are completely different. Same workflow different situation.

I think the quality of indie games is definitely going to change industry standards tho, small studios are starting to find it easier to create near AAA quality, with those you know everyone on the team is doing it because they want to out of passion.
    Where as not to say larger companies wouldn't have passionate people in them but out of 80-200+ people, to some that particular project may just be a paycheck.
    But again its not just down to effort on peoples part, those constraints take alot out of the result.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TeeJay wrote: »
    So if artists can look at their art and say 'this looks crap compared to this', it should be no harder for a designer to say 'this really isn't a lot of fun'. Except I can remember a lot more games over the past few years that just looked beautiful than ones that were genuinely enjoyable to play. Hence my comment about how designers are either a number of steps behind artists, can't really be arsed to do their job properly, or are being guided primarily by higher powers in suits signing the checks (the latter probably, right?).

Way off-topic though, sorry for derailing.
    I strongly disagree that Designers can get as much feedback that an artist can by simply experiencing their own work. Simply saying "that wasn't fun fix it" to a designer is not as easy for them to fix as saying "that's ugly fix it" to an artist.

In design there are so many more moving parts than in art. And any time you complicate the mechanics of something it gets harder and harder to work with, refine and keep maintained.

Often Designers are too close to the project and can do the most difficult tasks easily because they thought it up and have done it 400 times but the player won't have that expereince. They have to rely on other people to experience something for the first time and give them feedback, which normally gets lost in translation or focuses on things the designer can't really fix without effecting a TON of other stuff.

Trail and error and error and error and trail again and maybe success VS does this look better, yep.

What an artist tinkers with effects his/her work load its easy for them to weight the cost/benefit and work the weekend if they want with that work almost always being an improvement. For a designer one little change can effect the entire company and set the game back by months.

Games are situational and it often comes down to bunch of other factors like balance of weapons and classes, spells, the skill of the player, the design of the environment and the technical limitations.

If I had to compare the two jobs I would say, Artists are woodcarvers, Designers are engineers trying to build a car for the first time. There are just so many more things to think about when being an engineer where with woodcarving you know your tools, you know the medium and very little changes other than your skill which almost always gets better as you progress. With engineering you have to be a master at predicting the future and planning for hundreds maybe thousands of what if scenarios.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    You'll see a lot of these Uber polycount artists gravitate towards Blizzard, Splash Damage, Bioware and Epic, largely because they work on the types of games that artists LOVE working on, and be inspired by working with other artists that push them to get better.

Reality is, Sci Fi and Fantasy are very 'niche', and don't have the same mass market appeal of more 'realistic' themed games, which is why only a handful of studios can even bother making those types of games in those genres to that level of expected quality.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Shame your designers don't feel the same way...

Wow, that's a pretty rude comment that has no bearing on the topic at hand and managed to derail the thread.

-10 respect points
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    In addition to what Mark says, keep in mind that the area of game design, as in interactivity, is much newer and less explored than visual arts.
  • BluPanda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Time = Money as mentioned, not every studio can throw around the big bux.

In my opinion artist motivation, most portfolio work is built to prove how awesome you can be.

Not every production artist comes to work each day to prove themselves, of course some do, but the industry isn't all polycount and rainbows =)

Production art is meant to support gameplay, often constraints in those categories make for a better game, but not as cool of a looking asset.

Additionally, artist's perception of what is cool, is often different from what the general population thinks or wants. Simply by coming to this forum you've proven your in a demographic that enjoys a certain quality of art, which a good portion of our audience does not care about. As such sometimes budgets reflect that and loops back around to time/money.

/2cents
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    The biggest thing between what you see "in game" and what you see in "personal" work is that looking at things in game you are seeing so much more than just 1 stand alone piece. There are a ton of moving parts all eating up resources and vying for attention. There is design, scripting, animation, environments, particles, lighting, physics, collision, level loading, LOD's, characters, vehicles, AI. All these things are burning resources.

Where as a personal piece is just art, nothing else, so like many of the banner shots, they are shown at the absolute best the art can be at without having to worry about anything else.

If you take individual assets from a game like characters and render them out alone to look there very best they rival the work that is up there on the banners. The banners are personal work that is shown off at its very best.

An example would be the characters Hanno made for Uncharted. When they are rendered alone to just show the highest quality they can be at without having to sacrifice anything you can see how they would be "banner" worthy if they were just personal art.

http://www.hannohagedorn.com/professional-work/uncharted-2-among-thieves/

So its not that the art for games look worse that personal art. Its just personal art is displayed at the highest quality that can be achieved without having to worry about any other aspect of game development. Personal art is just personal art, its not a game. To be a great game artist you have to understand that pretty art is not the only thing that makes a game great or even great game art.
  • Snacuum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I pretty much got the answers I was looking for. My original confusion came from an assumption: That the constraints artists place on themselves for their folios would be representative of those in their desired place to work. We're building games to run on older technology like within consoles, so I assumed that a lot of stuff in folios including super-fantastic crazy detail stuff was deliberately constrained by polycounts and texture sizes that you would be using in a studio when taking into account all of the extra chaff bringing down the quality. In other words I assumed incorrectly that stuff like in the banners would actually function as displayed within current game.

Of course I forgot to factor in time as so many have mentioned, of course that would impact on quality.
  • Snacuum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To be a great game artist you have to understand that pretty art is not the only thing that makes a game great or even great game art.

Of course I know that, it's why I got into a mini-argument in this very thread about the capabilities of designers. But simply I was confused about why stuff game artists were showing to impress game studios and not necessarily movie studios was something that most game studios couldn't even show.
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    Yes, there are many reasons to why personal art usually looks better than the professional art most artists make.

Sometimes it's the other way around though; the pressure from your coworkers' expectations from you makes you want to push the quality so that it matches the rest of the art. Many times you get some great concepts to work from and/or have art directors that help you with ideas to achieve a better quality. When you work on your personal art however, you might want to create something from your own imagination and what not and the lack of discipline as well as assistance makes your art look worse.

There are many factors that can affect your piece and personal art isn't always better looking than in-game stuff(not saying that any of you said this, just throwing my 2 cents in).
  • Snacuum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also my fault is that I've barely played many current-gen games and I tend to play oldest first. I mean time flies and I often forget that 360, ps3 and a lot of fancy PC games have been around for around 6 years, to me only yesterday.
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    Another thing; is that in your personal work you can play to ALL your strengths and preferences.
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    No, but they presumably playtest their games right?

This is why I brought it up. Your thread talks about artists. As an artist, it's very easy to look at ones own (or indeed someone elses) art and say 'this looks crap' or 'this doesn't look as good as X'. And improvements or changes are made based on those observations. In the case of your thread, often making things look as good as technically possible with any limitations or time-constraints they may have.

Designers on the other hand, could also presumably playtest their game and it's not hard to say 'this is fun' or 'this is really not much fun'. 'Fun may not be a scientific constant, but it's pretty much a universally accepted concept, I don't mean on an explicit level, like an FPS lover may not enjoy a racer, I mean 'fun' is a pretty easy variable to judge. It's easy to see whether something is fun.

So if artists can look at their art and say 'this looks crap compared to this', it should be no harder for a designer to say 'this really isn't a lot of fun'. Except I can remember a lot more games over the past few years that just looked beautiful than ones that were genuinely enjoyable to play. Hence my comment about how designers are either a number of steps behind artists, can't really be arsed to do their job properly, or are being guided primarily by higher powers in suits signing the checks (the latter probably, right?).

Way off-topic though, sorry for derailing.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/173545/fun_is_boring.php?page=3

Fun is really difficult to define. And why should everything in a game be fun. I know quite a few games which have purposeful mechanics in them which arent fun but the games are better for them.

Games really are difficult to design. With art you at least have an end a clear aim. You know when you are there. The art is fixed.

With design you cant be sure of the end or the aim. The design has to be fluid.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Sometimes in professional work the design may change when you've more or less finished your work so changes may need to be hacked in, whereas they could have been done properly from the start or given enough time to redo it properly.
  • toren3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    toren3d polycounter lvl 7
    I've also always wondered this. If one pixel is off on your portfolio model that you post on a forum, people will point it out and expect it fixed. Then you go play, say, that new third person military action game, and there is a tree in the second level with a bad seam and stretched UVs staring you in the face.

I would say, think of it like a restaurant. The picture of the burger in the menu looks beautiful and carefully detailed. However, when you get yours on the plate, it could be close to that, or more realistically, it's probably half as pretty. It's just not realistic to take the same amount of time on your burger as they did on the burger for the menu.

People also like to 'blame' this issue on old tech, the 8 year old 360, etc. However, with enough time and care, that is not an issue. Diablo 3 is an example of this. There are hardly any normal maps or "next-gen" features. It is just good ole fashioned art direction and polish.

Basically, having 16 cores and 32 gigs of RAM is not going to fix your sloppy UVs and bad topology.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    toren3d wrote: »
    Diablo 3 is an example of this. There are hardly any normal maps or "next-gen" features. It is just good ole fashioned art direction and polish.

While I love Diablo 3, the game was in development for 10 years, thats a lot longer then the average 2 to 3 year dev cycle on most games.

Also with Diablo 3 you have a fixed Iso camera, you cant run 360 around objects so its easier to hide seams. You just put them in them on the opposite side that the camera is facing.
  • toren3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    toren3d polycounter lvl 7
    Autocon wrote: »
    While I love Diablo 3, the game was in development for 10 years, thats a lot longer then the average 2 to 3 year dev cycle on most games.

Also with Diablo 3 you have a fixed Iso camera, you cant run 360 around objects so its easier to hide seams. You just put them in them on the opposite side that the camera is facing.

No, I meant it as an example of a game where the quality of the art in the game was equal to or better than the "portfolio quality" the OP was referring to.

Sure, there will always be seams, UV issues, etc., and their respective ways that they are dealt with. The issue is, why are most games not up to par in those areas like a respected portfolio piece would be? And it basically comes down to time = money, as others have mentioned here.
  • EtotheRic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EtotheRic polycounter lvl 18
    There are a lot of contributing factors in the difference between what you see in game vs. someone's portfolio which people have already mentioned but another huge factor that is often out of the hands of the artist is optimization.

Typically a game in development is 100s of gigs of data, thousands and thousands of assets, and that has to be boiled down to a 4GB disk or even smaller download or streamed packets or whatever. Most companies can't take years to really finesse every asset so a lot is done quickly and procedurally. Once a game's content is complete and everything is finally view-able together (skinned and animated characters, environment art, interactive physics, vfx, destructable objects, lighting, etc) a combination of tech artist(s) and engineers will look at what is making the biggest performance and frame-rate hits. You name it they will cut it or scale it down. This can include but is not limited to:

-removing draw calls from shaders (removing shader functionality, maps, features and so on)
    -decimate geometry/LODs
    -Compress and/or resize textures
    -simplify collision
    -remove lighting/shadow influences
    -reduce/simplify physics influences
    -dynamic lighting

The list really goes on and on. A lot of this can wind up being done procedurally by scripts so you wind up with verts and UVs getting collapsed or deleted that probably should not have been collapsed or deleted. Ideally these cases are caught and fixed but sometimes slip through.

There is also the likelihood that a game you are looking at is a port from another platform, often ported by another studio altogether, all of which will likely be procedural optimization by a handful of people.

In short, what you see in people's portfolio is what they created and hoped to see on-screen in an ideal world. Even in something like marmoset toolbag you are free from constraints of frame-rate, lighting, draw calls and so-on. You can turn on all the bells and whistles and see your work at it's best. It's a blow to the gut to most people to see what happens to their work further down the pipe.