Current progress:
nbfghFNU.png

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSw_9PnRekl968bvyOyi1fhZmisotKJKBrML3EAVmZny8aM4DLnpA

34q6x6d.png

b2b_PEG_54-183_1.jpg

Longbow1.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS9BEOurNkdTnhXbMWYtvx5TBA_ns561kgJFlpweiJVQ4TTBiqe

1578s-deluxe-sword.JPG

Redoing the tabard entirely tomorrow. Im not happy with the folds at all.

The coif is chainmail which will be added with textures so I wont be adding many folds

To do:
where the pecs connect to the shoulder is a bit too far out, noted, but no need to fix for this because it isn't visible
Fix the god awful lip on the top of the coif along the helmet
Trying to decide if I want to do short sleeve chainmail
Quilted texture on aketon under the tabard
Hand axe or sword (probably sword)
Pouch
Bow
Quiver (cant decide if I want it on the side or back yet)
Second half of shoe with laces, based on real medieval shoes
Buckles on all the straps

old: http://i.imgur.com/vudfghYGV.jpg

Replies

• MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    Fixed up quite a bit today

Yes I know long bows are longer than the one I drew

VFghjkFFr.jpg
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Feel free to recommend color schemes, I don't exactly know where I want to go with it.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im also curious on how ill retopo this, because the model is a good hunk of separate parts.

What parts should be kept as one combined mesh for a more animation friendly model? Obviously im no where near ready to retopo, but its still on my mind.
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    -read this about lips: http://www.stanprokopenko.com/blog/2009/07/draw-lips/
    -the area between elbow and hand looks quite alienic, at least without clothes
    -legs seem too thin below knees. they may be thin on some of ref pics but notice shapes that muscles make:

leg_muscles.jpg
    Muscles_backLegs1a.jpg
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    frell wrote: »
    Feel free to recommend color schemes, I don't exactly know where I want to go with it.

Id go with Henry the 5th's coat of arms colors,the battle of Agincourt which he won being largely due to the english longbow which he deployed brilliantly.

henryiv.gif

Imagine 7000 archers firing 10 to 12 arrows a minute! A rain of 84000 arrows a minute.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Blaisoid whats wrong with the lips exactly, too thin? The legs are about right where I want them but could be a tad bit more muscular, thanks. The pecs connect to the shoulders too far out and it creates too much taper that makes the legs look much thinner than they are (and the first naked picture is tilted down). Obviously if he was going to be shirtless I would have spent alot more time on the forearms and detail all around, but I just needed a basic believable shape.

Definitely thickening up the lower legs a bit, thanks!

@JO420 did they wear it like this? http://www.frusher.ca/Henry-V.jpg Are you sure archers would be the ones wearing those? They look a little timely to make lol
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More changes

If im not happy with something im trying to make sure I fix it. Its the only way ill ever finish. So I completely redid the belts

Kxdhhjk7.png
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More progress, wrinkling it up here and there and playing with the pouch. Might be a bit too big.

S8ghjkqxm.png
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wonderful. Only reply I get is a spam bot.
  • Allan-p
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Allan-p polycounter lvl 7
    Looking good thus far, I'm always a sucker for medieval era stuff. One thing that jumped out was that his eyes are too far up. It seems like you are heading in a more realistic direction rather than a stylized one so I thought I would point that out.

General rule of thumb (unless stylistic preference of course) is that from the corner of the eye to the button of the nose is the same distance as one span of an eyelength,

Jy99Y.png?1

Keep it up! And don't worry about the lack of comments you seem like you are on track.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great suggestion Allan. I fixed up the face to be more proportional and also got the helmet hugging a bit better, and I really like the result! :)

more progress

nbghjkU.png
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey quys, im about to call the high poly finished (no picture yet) once I get the shoe laces and the quiver on

But im having trouble deciding on a quiver

This is the most commonly used one while traveling, since it covered the arrows and kept them dry in the rain, but then again during a battle they actually stuck the arrows in the ground in front of them because it was faster to knock them.

arrowbag%20whole.jpg

Or I can go with a more casual version and obviously rug it up to look more like it was quickly fashioned

quiver_ten_ring_leather_hip_quiver.jpg

Im putting the quiver on his right hip
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    frell wrote: »
    @Blaisoid whats wrong with the lips exactly, too thin? The legs are about right where I want them but could be a tad bit more muscular, thanks. The pecs connect to the shoulders too far out and it creates too much taper that makes the legs look much thinner than they are (and the first naked picture is tilted down). Obviously if he was going to be shirtless I would have spent alot more time on the forearms and detail all around, but I just needed a basic believable shape.

Definitely thickening up the lower legs a bit, thanks!

@JO420 did they wear it like this? http://www.frusher.ca/Henry-V.jpg Are you sure archers would be the ones wearing those? They look a little timely to make lol

Perhaps the color is a bit over the top for an archer,most were just hirelings,perhaps consider making the archers weapon a large hammer,often archers would fight armored foes and a large hammer would be better at cracking clams then a sword would. A sword would also be an expensive weapon for a longbow man to have.

Perhaps im being a bit too nerdy on the details ;)
  • fabio brasilien
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fabio brasilien polycounter lvl 11
    Great job so far. I like his body proportions.
    Not just another generic male. (His face is a bit generic though)
    I couldn´t think at any more stuff to add on him. Maybe if you add the rivets and seams he will look ready. :)
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The mail will be done with texture work, no worries :)

Ill add in the seams, trying to get a quiver in at the moment.

@JO well this archer has chain mail on so well just say he can afford a sword :P My other option was a hand axe but visually that wouldn't have been as appealing