Home General Discussion

You have 15 seconds to comply

polycount sponsor
Offline / Send Message
moose polycount sponsor
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dztELFt8uUU"]RoboCop (2013) "Omnicorp Product Line" Viral #1 [HD] 720p - YouTube[/ame]

http://www.omnicorp.com/

oooOOOoooo sweet! Dat Ed-209 though, hrm...

Replies

• ScribbleHead
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScribbleHead polycounter lvl 13
    ED-209 design is downright awful, looks like a autobot-decepticon miscarriage...
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    ED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    If there can be an Australian thor, then there will be a Swedish robocop!
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    I somewhat had my hopes up for this, but with ED209 being fed through the Transformers design machine, I think I've just lost all hope.

Expect Robocop to have a jetpack in the first half hour.
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    What is it with all those darn reboots of old movies. :(
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    aah shit. from the video I didn't know what the fuss was about, but then.. yeah on the website. Looks pretty bad :/. What's the idea of surgically removing all character from the design?

I'm still fairly interested in this movie though, because they already fucked RC up with robocop 3 (not a massive fan of 2 either) and the tv series, anything is fair game now

PS, is ED209 massive or is it a tiny tank?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ED-209.jpg

Yeah... again thanks transformers for screwing up mech/bot designs for years to come... thanks a bunch.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    eugh. if it wasn't for the gun barrels, it would be impossible to even tell his left arm was pointing towards us. Maybe if they made him matte grey it would read better, the shine and contrast is just confusing
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah. Same problem with the Transformer's reboot designs - It's unreadable.

I fully expect that it's movement SFX sound like a Dubstep track, too. I just hope they keep the growl.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    rooster wrote: »
    eugh. if it wasn't for the gun barrels, it would be impossible to even tell his left arm was pointing towards us. Maybe if they made him matte grey it would read better, the shine and contrast is just confusing

I cant stop staring at the area above the joint on the left leg or the missle turret on its back, asking myself "why?" "how?" and "what?!" Its the clearest area of the design which is another problem, but the level of detail/realism/quality is absent. I'm optimistic and hoping its intentionally bad because its a viral corporate advertisement :)

it does look sweet in the video.
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    awful, stop messing up all my fav top childhood movies. U read somewhere robo wont even have a helmet/shield
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    Robocop has such an iconic design, nothing they do can replace it. So why reboot?

The eternal golden question.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    McGreed wrote: »
    What is it with all those darn reboots of old movies. :(

recession? cheapest way to make a big seller with no risk is to take an old big seller and do it again. Reboots nearly always turn a profit dont they, just cause fans will go see if its any good.

That ed209 is a complicated mess :/ hope they sort it out.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Jesus on a fucking Pogo-Stick, flying on Batman's car!

The ED-209 design got butchered! I remember seeing an OC of the reboot design on a blog, and it was much better, everything was closed, shiny and still kept form from the old movie.

But this one is a mess, and Robocop too is going to be a mess if ED went from 'Closed' to 'All my chips belongs to you' whorism that robots seem to be going nowadays.

You know, this is the new SSS of our generation...
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    I will say looking at the new ED design, i can't focus on it. I don't really know what I am looking at.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nick2730 wrote: »
    awful, stop messing up all my fav top childhood movies. U read somewhere robo wont even have a helmet/shield
    What kind of scarey ass childhood did you have? RoboCop was given a X rating 11 times before they finally toned down the blood and gore enough to squeak in a R rating.

"Mom I want to watch the muppet movie again..."
    "Oh no sweetie, you know I only let you watch executives and cops be evserated by gun fire"
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    What kind of scarey ass childhood did you have? RoboCop was given a X rating 11 times before they finally toned down the blood and gore enough to squeak in a R rating.

"Mom I want to watch the muppet movie again..."
    "Oh no sweetie, you know I only let you watch executives and cops be evserated by gun fire"

I was thinking about this the other day. My 3 year old is starting to get into movies now. Mostly stuff like Brave and other cartoons. But he really wants to go see spider-man. Going to wait a bit on that one.

But when I was a little bit older than my own son my parents let me watch pretty much anything. I was big into robocop, terminator, predator, the aliens movies, etc. And had toys of all those movies. I had rockem sockem robots with arnold and the T-1000, and a sweet robocop figure with a motorcycle I got at toys r us.

Things have sure changed. You don't see kids toys from R-rated movies in stores anymore. The 80's/early 90's were crazy times. Not to mention kids cartoons based off R-rated movies. Thats super odd.
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mark - lol i was in my teens when i saw it probably 14-16. Anything under 20 i consider a childhood movie. I was born in 84 so
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahh yea hahaha, that makes sense. "The first 40 years of childhood are the best".

Ok so the design actually makes "tactical sense" and actually takes camouflage to a logical conclusion. Make it harder for enemies to understand the basic parts and they will have trouble reacting appropriately to whatever its doing.

It happens all the time in nature, fish have fake eyes to throw off predators, other animals have weird silhouettes and odd patterns so its harder to find them bla bla bla... so naturally you might want a combat mech to not read easily and incorporating those ideas into the design would technically help. It also makes it more threatening if you can't easily understand it.

Now does that make good mech design sense in movies... probably not.

Also ED209 was to be used as a civilian law enforcement tool so you don't have to worry about battlefield camouflage so they fail there too.

ED209: Please step over there (mechanical bits whirl and change positions)
    Citizen: WHERE!?
    ED209: YOU HAVE 20 SEC to COMPLY. (more mechanical whirling bits)
    Citizen: Oh Shit... look buddy... I'll pick up the wrapper, just calm down...
    ED209: 1...
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    The trailer looks cool and I was quite excited by it. I like the fact they are doing it like an advert. Similar to the original robocop and starship troopers vibe.

But that ED209 is an abomination! Why do movie creators feel the need to make everything bigger, more weapons and more complex in general just because they can?... It sucks! (Queue someone mentioning that old designs need updating like the Daleks)

You can be certain that it won't be a 18 rating because they'll be trying to sell action figures....gah! I'm not so excited now...
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    That is a straight up mechanical abortion.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    BTW the robocop toy line was fucking AMAZING!!! Amazingly detailed cars and swat tucks, and action figures with loads of guns ans other cool non gimmicky shit. I loved those toys for the sheer amount of cool crap they had and for the how cheap they were(because they were thrown into the bargain-bin day one...)

I still cant reason out why they thought that kids toys for an mature movie was a good idea but fuck it they were great!
    http://bricksandbeams.ecrater.com/p/10230584/kenner-toys-rare-robocop-ed-260-209 Hell yeah!
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Even the ED-209 wouldn't be able to help Detroit :(
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK, I just noticed two more things.

A) ED fired a couple of rounds and blows up a tank?
    B) When they show ED, I heard a Transformers-Metallic Shing, kinda like that electronic dupstep things they do when they transform, instead of a roar?
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    Ok so the design actually makes "tactical sense" and actually takes camouflage to a logical conclusion. Make it harder for enemies to understand the basic parts and they will have trouble reacting appropriately to whatever its doing.

lots of moving parts makes it easier to wedge a hand grenade or get a RPG inbetween a joint and blow the thing apart though.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    I'm not just saying this because I don't like the new design but...

the old design looks far more functional and a lot more believable than this new sci mess. Probably because back in those days they actually made models from existing materials. These days its all CG. So designers have less limitations, which results in Movie bosses saying things like "make it bigger", "add more guns" and " you know them trasformertrons by Michael Bay, make it like them"....

I fully expect the robocop design will be awful as well.

ed_209_1.jpg
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The old design was the shit, the black soul-less head mount that looked like a shark, and the teeth on the front port?

Not to mention, the roar, it scared me as a kid, and it still scares me today, there is something about a closed, unwelcoming design that looks like a walking void of doom based upon animals that makes people fear it.

The new design on the other hand is meh. The SSS of our generation.

To sum it up, "Eyes may be the windows to the soul for humans, but openness is for robots". You fear something less, the more you see it open, especially for robots, since throwing a rock or a wrench is all you need.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    the other thing about these new greebly robot designs is how easily would they get gunked up with shit from the desert or even city? I just don't buy that any sane designer who has to build a battle-hardened easily maintainable robot would leave all this delicate looking articulation open to the elements.

I'm not saying it should look anything like this, but here's a great example of what I expect a functioning military robot to be designed like, construction wise: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-NrWdiEhfUOs/T7R-glYkccI/AAAAAAAAA6g/Ix9vISVFZHk/s1600/Huntsman_armoured_04.jpg

I'm sure if Aaron Beck redesigned ED he would kick ass
  • ScribbleHead
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster wrote: »
    the other thing about these new greebly robot designs is how easily would they get gunked up with shit from the desert or even city? I just don't buy that any sane designer who has to build a battle-hardened easily maintainable robot would leave all this delicate looking articulation open to the elements.

I'm not saying it should look anything like this, but here's a great example of what I expect a functioning military robot to be designed like, construction wise: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-NrWdiEhfUOs/T7R-glYkccI/AAAAAAAAA6g/Ix9vISVFZHk/s1600/Huntsman_armoured_04.jpg

I'm sure if Aaron Beck redesigned ED he would kick ass

+1

Yep if anything i would've assumed they'd take a look at japanese pop culture or games for that matter...yoji shinkawa's robotic designs for example.

I wish ron cobb was doing it :(
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    I don't find the new design too bad. It's very unreadable, but I dislike the Decepticon redesigns more, and I think it does look pretty menacing...

If they've messed with the design of Robocop though, fuck that. The rumours going around about him being helmetless better be a sick joke.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Actually. Military walker probably wont exsist imo. Walkers just dont work as well as vehicles on tracks or wheels. Automated tanks are proabably the way forward in reality. but if walkers were to exsist i'd imagine them more like this. Which in turn is very like the original ED209 but a bit bigger.

Battlefield_2142_Render_Mech_2_by_Jtaa.png

I'd say this is more along the lines of what we'll see.
    tech0304darpa-2_485x500.jpg
  • BlvdNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights polycounter lvl 8
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    They should have renamed it something like ED-Evolution or something, instead of castrating a proven design. Then they could have brought an ED-209 out of "mothballs" for a finale...
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If they are going to in a new direction I say let Ashely Wood have a crack at it.

At least do a history of omnicorp and show a bunch of Wood's bots, during the ED209 presentation...

oh hell just do a World War Robot movie already...
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    To me, Robocop has always been a pretty lame character.

Dude walks slow, drives a car and has a neat gun in his leg. He can also take a bullet or two.

The rest of the world is what I enjoyed about those movies, not Robocop himself. Omnicorp and what it does is a neat idea.

In this movie I can see them updating Robocop to be more than a slow moving, bullet taking, pistol shooting, car driver to something more agile with more features, etc. But then its not "Robocop" as we know him. Not that I'm complaining, I didn't think he was great to begin with. But I can see this being a reboot the fans may not enjoy.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    oh hell just do a World War Robot movie already...

Your wish is my command! ALAKAZAM!!!...*poof

http://www.movie-moron.com/?p=8243
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    Overdesigned bullshit.
  • Irreal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irreal polycounter lvl 10
    This does not bode well for the new Robocop suit design. :(
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    wrong thread..
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 wrote: »
    Your wish is my command! ALAKAZAM!!!...*poof

http://www.movie-moron.com/?p=8243
    I think they turned that into John Carter...

If not, they probably are going to shit-can WWR just for dealing with Mars, but I hope it gets made and made faithfully. /fingers crossed
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I spent a couple of hours looking for the blog which had the 'old' reboot designs of Robocop, and couldn't find them, I found the 're-visioned' reboot designs, which should give an idea on where they're going or what they changed.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/ruben/news/?a=30279

I'm not too sure, I do hope while Robocop does get an update in the movement department, they don't make him into a Ninja. Robocop's entire weakness was that he was slow, he could see through walls, take entire clips to the belly and scoff it off like nothing, plus, he could WALK UP STAIRS!

Also, baby food, so yeah, having a Ninja, Sword wielding Murphy fly around cutting off peoples arms isn't exactly stellar for me.
  • zakhar2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zakhar2 polycounter lvl 6
    Hey guys! Let's redesign a robot!

*Opens up alchemy*

*has a seziure*
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    I spent a couple of hours looking for the blog which had the 'old' reboot designs of Robocop, and couldn't find them, I found the 're-visioned' reboot designs, which should give an idea on where they're going or what they changed.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/ruben/news/?a=30279

I'm not too sure, I do hope while Robocop does get an update in the movement department, they don't make him into a Ninja. Robocop's entire weakness was that he was slow, he could see through walls, take entire clips to the belly and scoff it off like nothing, plus, he could WALK UP STAIRS!

Also, baby food, so yeah, having a Ninja, Sword wielding Murphy fly around cutting off peoples arms isn't exactly stellar for me.

I guess that since Ed-209 is the opposite of Robocop in many ways, they will try to emphasize that by making him more flexible, especially if the new ED-209 will be moving more like the robots in the new transformers movies. I guess that would be a reason to have Robocop's face showing more thus looking more human as opposed to the mess that is the new ED-209 design(I'm a big fan of the old one so I might be a bit too harsh!).

Wasn't Robocop's main robot enemies ninjas in the third movie? He looked pretty lame compared to those guys in my opinion. Like a baby that had just learned how to walk having a fight with a bunch of cats.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I guess in that case, the question raises: What is a reboot and what is a continuation in this case? Where is the point where the movie stops being a reboot and instead becomes a remake instead. Robocop almost always had the story of being obsolete, which is what made it interesting, but also, extremely monotonic and old:

Robocop-1: "Oh, whats this?! A Robot with emotions and heavy bipedal movement?! Lets us make a Shark Bot!"

Robocop-2: "Oh, whats this?! A Robot with emotions and heavy bipedal movement?! Lets us make a Bigger version of him that is entirely code!"

Robocop-3: "Oh, whats this?! A Robot with emotions and heavy bipedal movement?! Lets us make a series of Ninja bots!"

Even Frank Miller did the same stuff with the comic books, frankly, I'm not sure what to say at this point. I guess we will wait and see what it becomes of this...project, but if they're making him into a Ninja, I better see him getting upgraded in the movie, and not for him to be uber-bot from the get go, who only wins the day because his heart told him to. I might as well watch MLP for that bollockary.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Saman wrote: »
    Wasn't Robocop's main robot enemies ninjas in the third movie? He looked pretty lame compared to those guys in my opinion. Like a baby that had just learned how to walk having a fight with a bunch of cats.

There was only one movie!!!

Also, Basil Poledouris, a legend.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7rjLQuW2nQ"]Robocop soundtrack MAIN THEME - YouTube[/ame]
  • ScribbleHead
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zakhar2 wrote: »

*Opens up alchemy*

*has a seziure*

My thoughts exactly *pulls out wacom*
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zakhar2 wrote: »

*Opens up alchemy*

*has a seziure*
    I have it open what do you want Leaf monster or robot? Ahhh... screw it you can color it.
    The best part is you don't even have to color inside the lines!

It works perfect for the final movie when budgets are tight, all you do is have OmniCorp illegally dump into a swamp, some industrial toxic waste, along with some old robot parts and BAM you have your 3rd movie! It's classic 80's!

It just makes cents...
    Saves on rendering (no more chrome reflections).
    Saves on remodeling (it's just a material swap).
    Saves on animations (with a confusing and cluttered design no one really knows what is going on).

With it being organic you can now go ubber-spongy which is important, remember you don't have a shot at winning a Emmy, without at least one, Rubber-jaw, yell!
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    Stinger88 wrote: »
    Actually. Military walker probably wont exsist imo. Walkers just dont work as well as vehicles on tracks or wheels.

military walkers already exist in reality!

http://www.bostondynamics.com/robot_bigdog.html

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1czBcnX1Ww"]Boston Dynamics Big Dog (new video March 2008) - YouTube[/ame]

although it's not actually in service yet
  • SnakeDoctor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnakeDoctor keyframe
    Looks like the Big Dog has improved since its Beta phase.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXJZVZFRFJc"]BigDog Beta (early Big Dog quadruped robot testing) - YouTube[/ame]
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    the old design does not fit very well with our actual vision of tech/future, it was childish and it was a robot like coming from the teenage turtles... very simplistic/cartonish and good for its days, but not now.

I hope to see a new design for robocop, because i always hated its armor design. A man with a plastic armor... the newer one should be more stroggish, more fleshy, more more... better? lol

If you are dissapointed with the designs and you don't like the change, just don't watch the movie... This happened with John Carter and it's not a bad film at all, another one suitable for all audiences.

Now think a bit, and think about Prometheus and the first Alien... This is our actual cinema, not that old fashioned and old cinema. We use CG now.

Car Designs change, our tech evolve each day, all is evolving. Don't be such nostalgic. Too many kids don't know Robocop... and now they will know him but much better imho.

Clash of Titans is another remake, and i love it.