Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Dire Troll Blitzer

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
seven polycounter lvl 13
I figured I'd finally make a thread for this guy. It's a dire troll blitzer from the tabletop game hordes. It's an offshoot of warmachine by privateer press. Matt Dixon did an awesome concept of this guy for privateer press. I'm using it as well as some of the pewter figurines as reference to make an abomination of my own. I'm not crazy about the shape of the chains right now. Might try something else in a bit.

direTrollBlitzerHP_polypain.jpg

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    I love it!

I would really really really like to see them posed together and on some kind of base, with some modest 3 point lighting.

Crits:
    I think the pieces are all colored roughly the same within their respective groups. Browns are the same shade and locked to only the brown pieces. The tunic is the same shade as the wooden boxes on the back? The blue skin is just a darker or lighter shade of the same color, get some other colors in there, his hands might be dirtier than the rest of him?

The colors are all very segregated and don't seem to have an overall "worn together over a long time" feel.

Don't let my crits get you down, I REALLY like it!

A bit of work to vary the hue and tones could really bring the piece to life. You can also use these changes to re-enforce some of the larger shapes in the piece. So instead of treating each link as a separate piece treat it as a whole chain (if you can).
  • seven
    Offline / Send Message
    seven polycounter lvl 13
    Thanks Mark. I forgot to mention that this is just the high poly with a quick polypaint to get an idea of what I want to do with the texture. With that said I 100% agree with you and will be doing working on those suggestions soon.

I probably won't be posing the high. This is essentially the first full character dynamesh test that I started when zbrush introduced that feature. It's been sitting for too long. Unfortunately it would make it a bit harder to pose than I would like. I should be considering retop just to get some of the geometry flow better and better presentation of the high.

Thanks for the critique and I'm glad you like it.

btw... ALWAYS loved your avatar.
  • jmt
    This is awesome. The only thing that looks a little strange to me is the rope around the little guy, holding the key. It took me a while to notice this, but I don't really see how the rope is supposed to be coiling to make those shapes. The way it inserts in the front should displace the other ropes, and in the back it's kind of jumbled. The piece of rope descending in the back looks like the coils are too tight compared to the rest.
  • seven
    Offline / Send Message
    seven polycounter lvl 13
    Good eye. That bothered me too.... I was just being sloppy. I'll have to fix that.
  • saf3hands
    This is looking so cool, Privateer Press have some awesome concepts. I agree, you need to pose it up!!!