Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Survivor WIP thread

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
desktoppirate polycounter lvl 11
Hey Polycount, I recent started to help with an indie game called SURVIVOR. I'm doing environment art and I would love some feedback on the assets I'm making so I can improve the look of my work and make some better portfolio pieces. I'll keep updating this thread as I make more stuff.

The game is set on an island In the 1980's. After the plane carrying the character crash lands you are forced to fight for survival against animals, tribes people and nature.

Currently I'm working on an old abandoned German military camp that will contain some of the rare loot in the game. It is supposed to be old, dirty and rotten.

The models and textures are all WIP at the moment as I'm jumping between models when I get bored of one :P

Oil Barrel

vMymx.jpg

Test scene - The military huts use a few tiling textures, one mail texture for the walls/door and a AO bake to overlay in UDK. Sandbags are just a single asset that I arranged for the pic, next I will bake out seperate ones for the actual sandbag walls.

H4RCk.jpg

Cheers

Replies

• desktoppirate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update. baked out 2 sandbag wall variations and an ammo crate which will contain loot. Started to grunge up the textures more as the camp in the game will be untouched for 40ish years.

s6tjv.jpg

ox8mz.jpg

024t6.jpg

Crits appreciated!
  • Benjam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Benjam polycounter lvl 4
    Its well cool m8, i would say on the sandbags though you say its an old school German abandoned military camp assuming its from WW2 thats a good 40 years abandonment so why would the sandbags still be up in perfect order?

The sandbags i would say are too clean, they have been outside in the rain, wind, had dirt thrown on them you should add some grime and mould to them or if you do make it well obvious.

And i would say maybe make the green colour of the huts a little darker to give it a real grungy, dark feel to it. Wack a swastika in there for good measure like a flag or something to make it seem real.

Will be cool to see how you get on with the rest of your scene i like the idea of an abandoned island set in the 80's
  • desktoppirate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Benjamin:
    Yes I agree about the sandbags, the lead has asked for another variation as well that will be more destroyed. Its unclear as yet if the better conditioned sandbags will be used as player made walls or original German fortifications. I Will be re-visiting the textures once most of the primary modelling is finished I think, to grunge them up more.

Been on holiday and just got back into the swing of things. Started a jerry can which I made more simple in design to some of the reference images.

HS3Tj.jpg
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrHobo polycounter lvl 13
    Something I thought about for the huts, not to contradict benjam, but I think they would be the green that you have them there if not lighter, due to sun bleaching.

Also I could be wrong but I think that the parts that are constantly exposed to sun (the parts that wouldn't get a shadow cast on them from the roof) would be more bleached than the others, so maybe a gradient overlay in PS.
  • Benjam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Benjam polycounter lvl 4
    @MrHobo good point i didnt think about sun bleaching, definitely slightly lighter then i like your jerry can and assets they are pretty cool, but is the chair too small compared to the table or is that just because you have them positioned further from each other?
  • desktoppirate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Long time no updates! been up to cool summer things instead of working :P

@benjam I think the scale of the wood is just very small and stretched over a large area, I've had trouble finding better texture but ill look harder.

@MrHobo I was instructed to make them greener from my art director. I agree with the sun bleached effect though, but I think its also reasonable to think moss and algae etc (tropical island) would keep a nice moist/organic colouration. In the final scene i expect this will be in a jungle area so it will fit in a lot more i guess.

Anyway here are some new things...

E5M47.jpg

NILUn.jpg

ZuAxR.jpg

rOdth.jpg

All WIP, would appreciate some crits on weather some of them are too noisy etc. Trying to make them look 40 years old weathered lol...
  • Benjam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Benjam polycounter lvl 4
    updates dude??!!? The crates etc. look great btw