Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[Mixamo Contest] Dragonspawn Archer

Oh hai thar!

I've appropriated myself a bit of time recently, so I figured I'd jump in on this thing. I've been in the VFX industry for a year doing stuff that isn't modeling, so I'm doing this mostly to try and learn a whole bunch of new things!

I've wanted to do up an archer character for ages now, so it was the most obvious choice for me.

The idea is that he comes from a race of people descended from dragons.

Anyway, pictures!

Current:

dragonspawn_version2_body4.jpg

Comments and crits welcome!
Shanks!

Replies

• DBentley
    Hokay, changing things up!

I've been thinking alot about this lately, and I'm going to make this substantially less.... Generic. I'm keeping the general idea/theme, but the look has to go. It's been done a million times over.

So I'm going a completely new direction!

dragonspawn_version2.jpg

I wanted to do something with a bit more style, so I started doodling around in Zbrush today and came up with this, and from this, I'll be making my character.

Thanks for looking!
  • Stoop_Kid
    Oh cool! I'm definitely digging the more stylized look of it.

I have a feeling this is going to look sweet. Look forward to seeing more! :D
  • DBentley
    Stoop_Kid - Thanks! Glad you like it. :)

Blocked out some rough proportions for the body today. Hoping to block out the armor by tonight.

dragonspawn_version2_body1.jpg
  • DBentley
    And one last update for the day:

Started blocking out some rough armor ideas - I'm almost feeling like it's missing something, but I also want to keep this relatively simple. Merhaps once I start pushing the details, it'll come together.

dragonspawn_version2_armorblock.jpg
  • Texelion
    Offline / Send Message
    Texelion polycounter lvl 8
    Really cool. It's a quiver in his back ? Looks a lil bit oversized, no ?
  • DBentley
    Texelion - Thanks! Cooorrect, that's the quiver. Definitely agree with you, it does feel a bit big. Might not be a bad idea to tone it down a bit. :)

Also, another small update for the day:

Didn't have as much time to spend on this as I wanted, but I blocked in a few more pieces and started playing with some different ideas. Haven't touch the boots yet because I'm unsure what direction I want to take those - Maybe some sort of high heeled strap-on boot? We'll see!

dragonspawn_version2_armorblock02.jpg
  • DBentley
    Hey guys,

Small update for today - Been busy, so I haven't been able to add too much, but it's slowly coming along!

dragonspawn_version2_armorblock03.jpg

Few more things I want to add to the armor, then I'll start going to town on the details.

And yes! I'll look into getting a mod to move this to the appropriate subsection!
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    looks good, could u do a render with another background color? its kinda hard to see atm, I really like the armor and the character though.

but I think the lower leg pieces need some work, the design looks a bit wierd, uncomforteble and unpractical, love the gloves though, maybe do something more like that?
  • jeebs
    Offline / Send Message
    jeebs polycounter lvl 11
    everything looks awesome to me. like the proportions and also the armor. good luck
  • DBentley
    @lotet - 100% agreed on the lower leg armor. I was pretty unsure about it myself. Changed it up to something, hopefully, more appealing in the latest iteration. Thanks for the feedback!

@jeebs - Thank you, sir!

Hokay, so, here's an update for today:

dragonspawn_version2_body4.jpg

Changed up the lower leg, though it's definitely still open to tweaking. Also, rendered on a brighter background, rather than the standard Zbrush gradient. Should make seeing things a bit better. :)

Thanks guys!
  • jeebs
    Offline / Send Message
    jeebs polycounter lvl 11
    this one is my favorite :), a big advantage is that its sides are not simetrical, almost all of it. both the earlier version of the lower leg and this new one are equaly good for my eye. however he starts to look a bit heavy, and I think for the archer he should be as light as possible to move swiftly.
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Looks a lot better with the new background, easier to see =P anwayys, the new boots are better, but jeebs have a very good point with the weight. in my opinion u should remove some of the metal parts and ad more lether, esp some of those curved leather peices you small spikes you have on the gloves, try to tie em together more.

anyawys, the overall thing is looking very good, looking forward to some kick ass arrow and bow designs!