Offline / Send Message
Danielmn polycounter lvl 13
Hey guys,
I cant believe this actually happened in my lifetime,
the Higgs Boson was found, well at least a new Boson, but they are pretty
sure its the Higgs.

http://gizmodo.com/5923422/physicists-have-found-the-higgs-boson

Read here for more info.

My mind is going crazy other this. Just great an accomplishment.

original.jpg

Replies

• Daven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daven greentooth
    Regardless, it's astounding.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Question is, what can they DO with this find? Besides prove a theory right which doesn't affect anyones life. Yes, it's a big find, for sure. But, ok, they proved a theory right. One that most people who cared thought was correct anyways.

That being said, is this the first step to the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy? Planet creation? Dooo iiit
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baj Singh polycounter lvl 9
    Unlimited polys?
  • R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    slipsius wrote: »
    Question is, what can they DO with this find? Besides prove a theory right which doesn't affect anyones life.
    http://cosmiclog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/07/03/12547980-the-higgs-boson-made-simple?lite
  • Sandro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This gave me hope that some cool stuff I've read and seen in sci-fi are actually going to happen in my lifetime :)
  • MrOneTwo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrOneTwo polycounter lvl 12
    Its actually one step closer to understanding how EVERYTHING works. If it is Higgs boson its a huge step. I love news like that. Science is amazing.
  • Mask_Salesman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    Shit The Bed!? Anti-grav tech here we come. :)

Is this the real, real one this time tho aye?
  • Jesse Meyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To clarify, they are not confident that they found the Higgs boson. They are extremely confident that they found A boson with the mass equivalent of the Higgs, but have a lot more experiments to run to determine if the other properties are consistent with the Higgs.

Still a good day for science. :)
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Imagine if all of this leads to a big bag of nothing...Science getting 'Monetized' deal basically.

I mean who would want Teleportation and/or Light Weight commute transport? The companies out there refuse to even invest in harvesting Wind or Sun power on a basic level, and those that do, are doing a lousy job.

Basically, science and society are like teenagers having sex in their parents car, not many of them do it anymore, and those that do, are terrible at it, and are going to wear out the suspension long before anything.
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog polycounter lvl 8
    Mongrelman wrote: »
    21840358.jpg

I was actually JUST about to post a screenshot from the movie where he has that sticky stuff on his fingers.
  • Sandro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I mean who would want Teleportation and/or Light Weight commute transport?

Who wouldn't?
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    Time to get shitfaced!
    srsly though, can't wait to see what this will lead to.
    thanks for sharing, Danielmn
  • Brygelsmack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brygelsmack polycounter lvl 11
    Bet they'll just find a new way to build another bomb, like they did with fission. But yeah, it's pretty cool to experience this.
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    Call me when its up and running

stargate.jpg
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hellz yea stargate
  • PaulP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulP polycounter lvl 9
    This is so awesome, Higgs or not! I'm definetly cracking open a beer for this!
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Question is, what can they DO with this find? Besides prove a theory right which doesn't affect anyones life. Yes, it's a big find, for sure. But, ok, they proved a theory right. One that most people who cared thought was correct anyways.

Possibly a lot. First of all, it basically confirms that the standard model of particle physics is correct.

You can see things like new energy sources, yes... unfortunately more ways to make atomic bombs, among other things. Next thing you know well be time traveling and using antimatter propulsion for interstellar space travel (mostly joking, but not completely ruling it out).

Hell, even if it doesn't change anything, don't forget that the creation and maintenance of the Large Hadron Collider alone gave us significant pieces of technology. The world wide web and cloud computing both originated as solutions to keep the collider operational.

Todays news was pretty cool...even though they wont say wether or not they think that the boson is specifically the higgs boson. My nerd senses are tingling with excitement.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    gsokol wrote: »
    . The world wide web and cloud computing both originated as solutions to keep the collider operational.

The internet: Keeping hadrons going all over the world!
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    Now they'll need a bigger telescope ... (or collider to be more exact)
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    This is the coolest thing that's happened this millennium, and almost nobody cares. Shame. This should be top news the entire week, but hey whatever, some people are playing games in London.

And a bigger shame is that we could have had this moment a decade ago if this fuckup hadn't happened. It's the highest tragedy that in this age built entirely on science and technology most people can't appreciate the need for it.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    why are people whining that not enough people are excited about this? its everywhere I look every newspaper has it, just about everyone has heard of it, I'd say thats a pretty large reaction for something the majority of society cant fully grasp and probably wont see the benefits of for many years. Not eveyone is going to see the potential until its right in front of them, so for now why not just enjoy being someone who does see the potential :)
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    This news gives me a hadron.

With the Boson found, I would like fusion power proved and propogated, teleportation, 3D printing at the molecular level, real space travel and an internet connection that lets me download faster than 250kb/s, please!
  • MattQ86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattQ86 polycounter lvl 15
    glynnsmith wrote: »
    The Higgs Boson literally makes me hard.

With the Boson found, I would like fusion power proved and propogated, teleportation, 3D printing at the molecular level, real space travel and an internet connection that lets me download faster than 250kb/s, please!

fixed

Also!
    fva-630-back-to-the-future-hoverboard-mattel-copyright-universal-630w.jpg
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13
    I'm too stupid to be excited about the Higgs Boson.
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    I feel like MattQ's flirting with me.

Also, Higgs M Bison:
    CERN_LHC.jpg
  • AtomicClucker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I view this as a milestone to greater achievements, but the bigger question is when I get my awesome rocket boots that can take me to the moon.
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13
    Walter White would have discovered the Higgs boson if he wasn't too busy providing for his family.
  • Danielmn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Danielmn polycounter lvl 13
    In honor of this discovery I wonder if we should do a special 3d comp or workshop on the LHC or something in field of science, quantum physics and such.

I forgot you mentioned wind and solar energy being things companies dont invest in and it was a great scientific discovery.

Since we are all made of energy yet we have mass and other forms of power do not, there are great implementations to finding much better energy uses.

Especially when you just consider solar power, I mean we only can make 10% of light photons into energy. I believe if this does turn out to be the HIGGS then we well see a new age of energy robotics and scientific discovery,
    remember the 60-70's how extraordinary that time was . We are on the brink of such a new era.

I am probably being an optimist, we see the world so dark sometimes and something like this that great ends our understanding so profoundly that links all matter together is truly extraordinary and now we get to examine it.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    I keep forgetting how awesomely cool the LHC looks, then I see a pic and I remember. It looks awesomely cool!
  • PeterK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PeterK greentooth
    Maybe now they can turn their powers towards finding out where the left socks go when they disappear from the dryer.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Ged wrote: »
    why are people whining that not enough people are excited about this? its everywhere I look every newspaper has it, just about everyone has heard of it, I'd say thats a pretty large reaction for something the majority of society cant fully grasp and probably wont see the benefits of for many years. Not eveyone is going to see the potential until its right in front of them, so for now why not just enjoy being someone who does see the potential :)

Oh, don't get me wrong, we all know that, but if we learned anything, is that at the start of the 1900's, science essentially got chocked by loads of things which it needs to pass to get approved on a consumer level.

Flying cars are a silly idea from the start, since last thing I need is falling debris, but many other things could benefit from this discovery.

The question is, when? Until it can get monetized, no one is going to do a damn thing with, and those that do, are going to enter a patent warzone.

Ugh, I just made myself depressed again...great...
  • Kurt Russell Fan Club
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kurt Russell Fan Club polycounter lvl 9
    The discovery being announced in glorious Comic Sans :)

RWuRU.jpg
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Comic sans makes things more fun and accessible!
  • Leodido
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The discovery being announced in glorious Comic Sans :)

RWuRU.jpg

Those guys are at another level than comic sans ;)
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Almost expected next panel to feature a scientist getting superpowers from the LHC. ;)
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Ok, now how do we turn it into a weapon.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You all just mad at their powerpoint skills.
    Jackablade wrote: »
    Ok, now how do we turn it into a weapon.

Create a Higg's freeing bomb that removes mass from anything in the blast radius. Watch items shoot off in random directions at the speed of light and never come back. Great solution.
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SirCalalot polycounter lvl 10
    Danielmn wrote: »
    I forgot you mentioned wind and solar energy being things companies dont invest in and it was a great scientific discovery.

Since we are all made of energy yet we have mass and other forms of power do not, there are great implementations to finding much better energy uses.

free_yourself_from_the_matrix.jpg
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    I'm kinda rolling my eyes at the camp that are getting excited over this. No one has been able to quantify this for me. Most are completely unable to even put it in laymans terms, never mind tell me what possible practical applications this could have. I've got the whole 'Dude you have no imagination' and 'Hoverboards!' thing several times from people already. Half the super excited people haven't got a shagging clue what this means for us. People need to chill. It's not even been confirmed that it is the Higgs boson, just a boson. It will take several weeks if not months to confirm that. People need to chill, 'specially those like me who have no idea whatsoever about what it actually means.
  • dempolys
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas wrote: »
    I'm kinda rolling my eyes at the camp that are getting excited over this. No one has been able to quantify this for me. Most are completely unable to even put it in laymans terms, never mind tell me what possible practical applications this could have. I've got the whole 'Dude you have no imagination' and 'Hoverboards!' thing several times from people already. Half the super excited people haven't got a shagging clue what this means for us. People need to chill. It's not even been confirmed that it is the Higgs boson, just a boson. It will take several weeks if not months to confirm that. People need to chill, 'specially those like me who have no idea whatsoever about what it actually means.

jesus christ Andreas. You're the single most negative person on this forum. Its incessant
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    I'm just saying. I'm with Ace on this one.

People are entitled to their opinions. If I'm wrong, I'd be more than willing to hear why. But seems to me there are people freaking out over something they really have no understanding about what it actually means. No need for personal attacks dude, I'm certainly not calling out people in this thread for their opinions, because it's a nasty and shitty practice. If they wanna believe this means hoverboards, fair play.

I guess what I was expecting when discussing this with people was to be informed about what it was for. Like, does it mean free clean energy? Does it mean lightspeed travel? Passing through dimensions? No one has been able to tell me, but you can bet they are super excited.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas, you're admitting that you're ignorant. That's fine, physics isn't exactly everyone's cup of tea. But then why do you think your ignorant opinion matters?

What they've found is probably the Higgs. If it isn't that will be awesome too because one way or another we learn more about the universe. if it is the Higgs we come close to a unified field theory which would drastically increase our knowledge and lead to great strides forward in technology. Those strides will take time, maybe 100 years (quantum physics has been around for a while yet we're just now on the cusp of applicable quantum computing and teleportation) but they will come and they will revolutionize the world, just as all the scientific discoveries of the past have.

What will those technologies be? Hard to say, but mass alteration is the most likely. Attempting to alter the Higgs field interaction of an atom would be the first step perhaps, making a heavy atom like gold light as Hydrogen and seeing how it's interactions change. In the production phase this would see ultra-light or ultra-heavy materials that would completely revolutionize... more or less everything. At it's most basic, imagine a racing bicycle that doesn't weight 15 lbs, but only 5, or a shipping containers with half the weight, increasing ship payload and profit margins. The technology will come, but only if people with open minds pursue this road. Your attitude is not directly harming this process, but many many people on this planet are strange scientific Luddites who couldn't care about the most important research of our times, and that CAN harm scientific progress through political pressure. Look at NASA, getting budget cuts even though it has a comparatively tiny budget to begin with. Knowledge of our universe takes a backseat to congressional pork and DARPA junk funding. Hooray.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Andreas wrote: »
    I guess what I was expecting when discussing this with people was to be informed about what it was for. Like, does it mean free clean energy? Does it mean lightspeed travel? Passing through dimensions? No one has been able to tell me, but you can bet they are super excited.

Einsteins special theory of relativity didn't have any direct impact or technology, but nowadays we can't live without the technology that relies on that knowledge.

Our understanding of things opens up so many doors.

This is the reason for being excited!
  • TehSplatt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TehSplatt polycounter lvl 11
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    I'm glad it was found, but where did it go?

Did it's mother know it was lost?

Can I make a bacon cheeseburger out of it?

Does it sweat in the summer?

Does all that running around a 17 mile track make it tired?

Can a guy get a light?

Where did i leave my Proton Pack?

...this could be great for recharges....

:)
  • Ruz
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    perhaps it was the case that merely thinking about it's possible existence made it pop in to existence.
    seriously, scientists will be the death of all of us, with all that tinkering around with nature.
    frazer.jpg
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SirCalalot polycounter lvl 10
    If men were meant to fly, then we would have been born with wings...

... What were we talking about again?
  • Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are you guys sure that America isnt invading Iran right now? Seems like everyones talking about this...so i mean, now would be the time.