Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Advice please

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Cheathem polycounter lvl 6
Hey PC.
Ive been working on some houses recently,but i feel like there just not coming out right.maybe its my choice in textures or maybe its my modeling,i dont know.Could you all give me some advice to make my buildings a little better.

Btw:I cant add to much more polys,so adding extra details wont be an option right now.im mostly looking for texture advice.Unless my modeling is what is hurting the house the most.

anyways,heres some pics.

UlZhp.png

1vR0t.jpg

lctG5.jpg

4fi2Y.jpg

Replies

• Cheathem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know the doors and windows look like shit but theyre a pain in the ass to unwrap and texture.if anyone has any advice for a good way to unwrap them then that would be helpfull.
  • Cheathem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh,and heres the diffuse map

pGR56.jpg
  • aaronmwolford
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aaronmwolford polycounter lvl 8
    You need to crank your saturation up some. Everything is too "pastelish" Try that and then repost. Can I ask why you modeled the interior if you can't add anymore detail? Right now you have an empty room and those polys could be used on the exterior if you don't need the interior.
  • Cheathem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well the game im making the houses for is a dark and gritty game.so im trying to use unsaturated colors to fit the setting.
    And when i said i cant add more details,i ment for this specific mesh.
    the interior will be filled with different sorts of props like furniture and stuff.
    im just trying to get the house by itself to look its best before i fill it.
  • Free_Fall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Free_Fall polycounter lvl 8
    I think he means the colors are just really boring this way, it's as if there's a layer of grey over everything. Also saying it's for a dark and gritty game is a weak excuse, look at games like silent hill or resident evil. Those textures are pretty saturated and it gives a great fibe and feel to the game and doesnt make them happy and joyful at all.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Don't make the entire building out of one mesh and one texture.

Use tiling textures to make wallpieces and roof blocks and then combine them in-engine like legos.
    Sort of like this:
    modularhouses.PNG
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Well, no real details on how this is being used makes it difficult enough to give feedback on, and with the stipulations. Whew. Anyway...

From the ground up...

There's no real foundation, the outer brick just goes straight into the ground. The base could be a thicker, stronger stone that is feather out with weight at the bottom. Lose stones, sections rebuild, supported collapses.

No weathering, such as: where the ground meets the base brick, wood to stone, stucco to wood, etc.

Structure is planar. As in all surfaces run vertical or horizontal. Aging. Sagging areas, drooping center of the roof,

Roof could use more depth.

Is there no fireplace/chimney? This is a huge exterior modification if you want these folks to have some heat.

Interior: more trim, ceiling supports

and what Snader said.
  • Cheathem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heres an update.Imma keep working on it.
    Thanks for the advice so far.
    and Cholden,ill probably add a fire place later as a prop.

but yeah,heres the pic.
    CqUQM.jpg
  • Cheathem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    screw that last update.heres another.

fXYpj.jpg
  • Cheathem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Cheathem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    final update i guess,unless people have more advice.

YtPEA.jpg