Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Protestant Church Environment

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
JoshWilkinson polycounter lvl 9
Been working on a Reformed Protestant Church scene for a while now to illustrate my understand of actual architectural principals. Presently there isn't too much I'd like to add now.

~~~~
UPDATE 8/26
C2K6j.jpg
I4SIj.jpg
cnpUz.jpg
3MaHh.jpg
wy0Ue.jpg

Replies

• throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice work, I love the lighting!
    The texture on the pillars, that wear doesn't look like the kind they would get being inside, almost reads like rust. The chains on the lamps look too big. The floor looks dirty/dusty, but carries some pretty sharp reflections.
    How do we get in, or up to the balcony?
  • JoshWilkinson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a lot throttlekitty, I'm locked down for the rest of the night but I'll execute all of that crit and update progress tomorrow. The back of the fifth image is where door stuff will end up but you're right, presently there is not enough of a focus on entering anything.
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    Loving the wall textures, its coming along. Kind of going off of throttlekitty on the floor. The reflection seems to be going through the pews on the first image.
  • Aga22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aga22 polycounter lvl 11
    when i saw the first picture i thought it was a photo reference! good job! very real. i believe the chains in those chandeliers are too thick, and i guess you havent textured them yet?
  • JoshWilkinson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright progress report. Nobody liked the chains so I shrunk them. Nobody liked reflections so I distorted them more. (don't want to ax the reflections completely because they enhance visual interest so much) Added another camera to show off dome.

qVKUm.jpg

Please keep crit coming!
  • JoshWilkinson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update on the church scene

VYMew.jpg
    -Slight changes to the color and levels
    -Added alpha blinds
    -Added bloom
    -Altered tiled floors a bit
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    The broken windows really help! nice stuff so far man, I'd love to see more sun rays coming through that window, little more not much and maybe some dust particles within those rays. Keep it up.
  • Dazhbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This just looks all sorts of lovely.

As an idea to break up the balcony, how about an organ?
  • JoshWilkinson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Appreciate the crit guys!

@aajohnny, working on the rays right now. They're throwing me for a loop and I'm not sure how much I like them, but it's certainly good crit. And I've been meaning to try out some dust particles in a 3D engine so we'll see what happens!

@Dazhbug, I kind of pride myself on my understanding of architectures and unfortunately, you wouldn't find an organ in the front of a Reformed Protestant church. There are some organ pipes in the rear of the church but how do you mean "break up the balcony"? I have it set up for vertex painting and have areas where the paint is peeling off and exposing the wood underneath, but perhaps it's not reading well enough?
  • Dazhbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

@Dazhbug, I kind of pride myself on my understanding of architectures and unfortunately, you wouldn't find an organ in the front of a Reformed Protestant church. There are some organ pipes in the rear of the church but how do you mean "break up the balcony"? I have it set up for vertex painting and have areas where the paint is peeling off and exposing the wood underneath, but perhaps it's not reading well enough?
    Presently there isn't too much I wish to add other than some variation to things to interrupt repetition, and something to fill the negative space in the balcony of the last image.

I was responding to your comment in the original post; understandable about the organ, I am admittedly behind on my architectural history. Would they have a (differently styled) choir section, perhaps? Just tossing out ideas, as t'were.
  • JoshWilkinson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Took a break from the church scene for a bit to focus on other projects, just finished it up!

C2K6j.jpg
    I4SIj.jpg
    cnpUz.jpg
    3MaHh.jpg
    wy0Ue.jpg