polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
J0NNYquid polycounter lvl 5
LATEST UPDATE:

8462475539_5c98c15db0_b.jpg
Sci-Fi Hallway2 by camraab, on Flickr

8463575152_2beed922bb_b.jpg
Sci-Fi Hallway by camraab, on Flickr

Hey guys, just getting this thread going for when I really start pumping stuff out, but for now here's what I've got.

PillarPreview.jpg

It's pretty basic, and that's by design. This is basically me committing myself to bettering my skills one project at a time. This environment was started with the goal of learning better workflow techniques, specifically normal and spec mapping, as I am seriously lacking in those areas.

That being said, there is no specular, and only the most basic diffuse on it so far. I hope to have the pillar completely done by Sunday evening, and get moving onto the floor/walls.

Forgot to add, sitting at about 550 tris, if anyone cares to discuss that as well.

Replies

• J0NNYquid
    Offline / Send Message
    Made a few quick additions.

PillarPreview2.jpg

I'm envisioning this pillar as being an air purifier in the hallway of some sort of spaceship/tech facility. Dirty air gets sucked in the vent at the bottom, then expelled via the diffusers? that I added. Maybe reverse that? Dirty air in via new piece and out the base of the pillar? Either way, that's all for tonight. More tomorrow.
  • gsokol
    Hey Man looking good!

If that pillar is supposed to suck in air at the bottom you could put some horizontal slats or some sort of vent on the bottom flat part.

Make sure you get a blockout of your environment pretty early on.

Keep at it dude!
  • J0NNYquid
    Offline / Send Message
    @gsokol My thoughts exactly, I plan on getting some sort of grating or mesh down there today. The blockout SHOULD happen today, at least, that is one of my goals. Thanks for the tips!
  • J0NNYquid
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick update for tonight, not much change, just trying out a different color palette.

PillarPreview3.jpg

As you can see, I'm getting a weird shading line down the center. Methinks it's because of something I did wrong in my process when I baked it out. So I just made the one half of the pillar, and mirrored it, but not for the AO bake, could this cause the problem? Even if I move the symmetry modifier over so it's overlapping by a large margin, I still get the error. Should I have added the symmetry modifier, then baked it out, does max see that symmetry upon the baking? Sorry if that doesn't make perfect sense, I'm tired and I had some beers while I worked on it......

EDIT: I think I've cornered it. I've since abandoned this pillar to the realm of bad ideas, but I wanted to figure out what I did wrong. After some looking around, I found this little nugget in the Normal Map wiki:

Sometimes an artist will decide to delete half of a symmetrical model before baking.

This is a mistake however because often the vertex normals along the hole will bend towards the hole a bit; there are no faces on the other side to average the normals with. This will create a strong lighting seam in the normal map.

This is exactly what I did, and this is exactly the problem I had. Hope this helps anyone that may have this problem in the future.
  • EvanL
    Offline / Send Message
    EvanL polycounter lvl 11
    Just a wild guess...are the verts down that line welded together? I had a similar problem just the other day and I couldn't for the life of me figure out what was going. Gave myself a good slap when I figured it out.
  • Paul Pepera
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Pepera polycounter lvl 9
    - From a design standpoint try to get consistent angles in the language of your geometry - having several different angles of lines can quickly create a chaotic and unpleasing design.

- Respect the rule of thirds and watch your proportions - try to add details and breaks around the 1/3 junction, not the 1/2 or 1/4. Try to find a harmony between large bold shapes and detailed elements.

- Always, always have real world reference up on your monitor, even if what you are modeling is strictly fictional. Don't simply go off what is in your head. Using real world reference will ground your designs and make them more pleasing and believable.
  • J0NNYquid
    Offline / Send Message
    @EvanL just checked it and that doesn't seem to affect it. When things aren't so crazy I'll post the flats up and perhaps you guys can tell what I'm doing wrong from that.

@Paul Pepera very, very helpful advice, will look to make the changes sometime soon. Much appreciated.
  • J0NNYquid
    Offline / Send Message
    So, it turns out just coming up with stuff on your own leads to a lot of wasted time experimenting and failing, so I'm going to take the advice of @Paul Pepera and others and get some quality reference. I'm literally going back to the drawing board, which is good for me, as my concepting skills, well, they don't exist. Here's what I got down so far.

Progress2.jpg

I feel like I'm starting to form what might turn out to be a direction to go in for the overall design of this environment. Let me know what you think, I need to start thinking of ways to draw in more than just a straight on perspective, as I have some ideas for the whole environment but, as I said, my traditional drawing skills just aren't where I'd like them to be. Anyways, thanks for the advice so far guys, I really appreciate it, keep it coming.
  • cdavidson
    Offline / Send Message
    cdavidson polycounter lvl 8
    when you mirrored it did u reset the xform and flip it?
    TBH i have zero clue if this is your problem but its 4am and the video i just watched the guy kept reseting the xform and flipping it everytime he mirrored anything lol.

On another note the concepts look promising :)
  • J0NNYquid
    Offline / Send Message
    @cdavidson haha no worries, yeah I'm just going to scrap that piece anyways. but I'm going to try and fix it before I start the next phase just so I know what I did wrong, and thanks!
  • J0NNYquid
    Offline / Send Message
    Sooooo it's been a while, and I'm finally getting back into this. I've spent a lot of the time learning, so I can't complain too much on my slow progress. Just some quick shots of my normals (so far) for the walls and a small section of the floor. Thanks to the magic that is NDO2, I'm able to try a lot of different things out very quickly, so nothing is set in stone.

Progress.jpg

Still trying to figure out what workflows work best for me, hopefully things start to move along quicker now that I have some sort of direction.
  • gsokol
    Lookin good man...keep it up!

The pieces look decent, and your really reminding me how bad I need to try out NDO2.

You should post up a blockout as early on as you can though.

Keep it up man!
  • J0NNYquid
    Offline / Send Message
    Took a pretty extensive break from this, re-worked some pieces, and finally got some of it into UDK. Just working on scale and size still, although looking back on the original bake I may be taking some of the details from that and adding them in, specifically the MSV Excelsior panels to fill in the gaps on the floor.

Anyways, when I brought it into UDK and built the level for the first time I got all sorts of strange lighting errors:

WeirdShadows.jpg

As you can see, it's all blotchy, the shading is different from one piece to the next. Here's my setup:

Default light in the scene, dead center of hallway. Lighting quality is preview, but no change was evident on the higher settings. Checked my lightmaps and they seem to be getting called up correctly. No overlapping pieces in the UV space, and no overlapping pieces inside of UDK.

I noticed if I moved the light away from one wall, the problem seems to go away, but only exacerbates the problem on the other wall.

This is by no means the lighting setup I will have as I progress, but I'd like to figure out what I'm doing wrong now before I really get into UDK. I haven't worked in it in a while, so much of this may be the rust coming off.

Diffuse is very basic, preview only, and there is no spec. Critiques on layout welcome at this point, but keep in mind, it's still missing a lot, my main concern for now is why the lights are doing this.
  • ausernottaken
    From what I've seen, lighting issues in UDK are usually related to lightmap resolution and the lightmap UV.

Post your lightmap UV.
  • nick2730
    like auser said, did you create a 2nd uv channel for you light map? Or if nothing overlaps did you set the lightmap UV coordinate to 0 to match the default unwrap
  • J0NNYquid
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's how I made my lightmap. I'm at work now so no shots of it, but I'll explain it as best I can.

So I'm building the Texture sheet as I go, adding pieces as I go along, and there is no overlapping of any UV's, as it was designed to be modular (not that that would affect overlapping, but...). That being said, I didn't change the unwrap for the lightmap, as nothing was overlapping. I simply saved the UVW from map channel 1 in max, went to Channel 2, reset UVW's, loaded channel 1, then collapsed. Then in UDK It's showing the lighting map as channel 1, and the main uv's as channel 0.

That's the process I remember from school, which was a while ago, so any/all of that could be wrong, of that I'm more than aware ;).

@nick2730 are you referring to in UDK when you say set the lightmap UV coordinates to 0? I think I know what you're asking, I'm just not sure.
  • nick2730
    yea i mean in UDK. If you goto properties on the static mesh, it says UV index Coordinates on the right or something like that which is the channel it will look too. You can see the maps in the top left by filtering. UDK is always 1 less then max. so uv 1 in max is uv 0 is UDK, so if you did create a 2nd uv map make sure the map index is 1.

Process is right tho
  • J0NNYquid
    Offline / Send Message
    @nick My buddy asked me to check that too, and it is showing up correctly, i.e., uv1 in max is uv0 in udk, and uv2 in max is uv1 in UDK. Going to try some things tonight when I get off work, hopefully I can narrow it down better. Thanks for the help so far guys!
  • ZeroBigSis
    Offline / Send Message
    ZeroBigSis polycounter lvl 10
    Cool scene.
    Re the light errors, have you got enough padding around the UV shells on the lightmap?
    Could also be an AO problem in UDK, try turning the AO on and off to see if this makes a difference.
    To stop bleeding on the lightmap (especially where a flat modular piece butts up against another flat piece) you need to snap the 2nd UV shells to a grid that matches your light map resolution output. In Max this can be done by setting the UV grid to 1 divided by your light map resolution (i.e. for a lightmap of 64, grid setting would be 0.015625), then use the snap setting which looks like a magnet with a p by it.
    Hope this helps, keep up the good work
  • J0NNYquid
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll look into the padding on my lightmaps, that sounds like it may be the problem, as I've got them basically right next to eachother, as that's what I did for the texture, and just pulled the pieces apart. I know you don't want overlapping UV's on your second UV channel, I just never carried over the padding thought process to lightmaps. Fingers crossed!

EDIT: This seems like a really stupid question, but how in the hell do I delete a static mesh from the content browser in UDK? It keeps saying it's in use, but it's not, I've deleted every instance of it from the level.
  • J0NNYquid
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright so I went back and tried a few of the fixes, and it looks much better, still a few issues though. I padded the UV's for my lightmap pretty heavily, upped the lightmap resolution on my meshes (mine was only at 32), and turned off Ambient Occlusion in my world properties, just to try and see where the problem was coming from, and each step in that process made things slightly better each time

Anyways, here's my light setup now, and the light settings I have:

WeirdShadows2.jpg

Everything looks much better, the blotchiness is mostly gone, and I think the only problems now may be from the way I originally unwrapped everything, I'll give those another look tonight after work. Here's the only problem I'm having anymore:

WeirdShadows3.jpg

Not quite sure what's going on here...it's like that in random spots on the other panels of this style as well. Any help is appreciated guys, and all your suggestions have been spot on thus far. Thanks!
  • gsokol
    Since you had mentioned that it was planar mapped...you likely have very little UV space where the extrusion happens...so the artifacts could be due to that. Try giving those faces for space on the Unwrap...maybe just scale down the center panels a little bit.
  • J0NNYquid
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, I think the problem is mostly taken care of, the blotchiness is gone, shadows are looking good, and I can finally start moving on with the blockout. The things I did to fix this, and to be honest, I'm not sure if it was one of these things, or a combo of all of them:

Upped the lightmap resolution of the meshes from 32 to 256. Turned off Ambient Occlusion, and followed the instructions I found in this article:

http://www.worldofleveldesign.com/categories/udk/udk-lightmaps-03-how-to-fix-light-shadow-lightmap-bleeds-and-seams.php

Specifically the part where it talks about Seams caused by in-between pixel UV edges. It seems to describe a lot of the problems I was having. I couldn't get the grid and snapping to function in Max quite how they have it set up in Maya, but I must have gotten it close enough to work. Anyways, thanks a ton for all the suggestions guys, I really do appreciate it.
  • J0NNYquid
    Offline / Send Message
    After a waaaay too long hiatus, I'm back at it on this level. Here's where I am right now:

Test.jpg

I've spent some time figuring out cubemap reflections (still not perfect), and trying to figure out how I'm going to light this. I've looked into and tested out using holograms, or holographic signage as the primary light source.

I'll be adding in some plants off to the sides of the stairs, possibly some benches/chairs, stray cables, and other misc things to populate the scene. I'm looking forward to getting back into this, thanks for any critique.

Also, the cubemap reflection you are seeing right now is more of a test than anything close to final. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I want to have all my lighting set up in the level, and THEN I'll make the final cubemap? Again, any help is greatly appreciated.

Yes, the normals are mostly done in NDO2, therefore they're all flipped in-engine, That's next on my list.
  • gsokol
    "Also, the cubemap reflection you are seeing right now is more of a test than anything close to final. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I want to have all my lighting set up in the level, and THEN I'll make the final cubemap? Again, any help is greatly appreciated.
    "

Well, you want the cubemap to have the same overall color and feel of the room to kinda match...so if you change your lighting drastically, it might be good to make a new cubemap, yeah.

"Yes, the normals are mostly done in NDO2, therefore they're all flipped in-engine, That's next on my list."

Heres a little trick I do with nDo2 so I don't have to worry about flipped normals:

NDO_FlipGreen.jpg

Also, when you have modify the adjustment layer, and your using the brush tool for normal map layers, instead of being white it will be pink :P

If you already have a bake with the green channel flipped, just copy the adjustment layer and place it right above your baked maps...this will flip anything below the nDo2 stuff back.
  • Alphavader
    Offline / Send Message
    Alphavader polycounter lvl 11
    Why not just go in the pref and say -y or +y ?
  • gsokol
    Alphavader wrote: »
    Why not just go in the pref and say -y or +y ?

Because that would be too easy :P

(and I didnt know that you could do that lol)
  • J0NNYquid
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick update, trying out some lighting for the level, as I said before the lighting will "hopefully" all come via the holographic signage and running lights you see in the image.

Test-1.jpg

Suppose I should describe what this is a hallway to.....In my head I wanted this to be an orbital defense outpost. Possibly doing surveillance, but with offensive capabilities as well. Trying to thing up military-ish lingo to put on the holograms, looking a lot at the control rooms from Halo 4 and Halo Wars ships for inspiration, as I really like the mood that was set.
  • J0NNYquid
    Offline / Send Message
    Another quick update, more to keep me honest than anything else.

SciFiHallCameronRaab.jpg

Once I've got the lighting nailed down, and the material for the glass panes, I'm going to go through and clean everything up, and nail down my normals, spec, and diffuse textures, as well as add some assets in to fill up the scene.

As always, comments/critique welcome.
  • J0NNYquid
    Offline / Send Message
    Another update. Still trying to figure out the lighting. For whatever reason my emissive channel on the stair lights and the glass panes are not using their emissive channel to cast light, so I've had to add in a basic light from UDK.

SciFiHallCameronRaab2.jpg

I'm going to fix the mini bonsai-ish trees, as I feel they're too small, and add in another tree to break up the repitition.

Another issue I'm having is with my cubemap. This is the first time I've dealt with one, but it seems to be projecting some details incorrectly. Things aren't on the correct axis, and some things are reflected very large. Any help with this is appreciated, and all comments/crits are welcome.
  • J0NNYquid
    Offline / Send Message
    Another minor update, been tinkering on this for a while now, and another project is forcing me off of this one. Aside from adding plants back in, driving down the track lighting a bit, and doing a new cubemap with the added assets, I'm pretty close to calling this done.

camraabSciFiHall_zpse886db53.jpg

Let me know what you think, I'm not going to have much time to devote to this anymore, but I will make changes where appropriate when I can. Thanks for all the critique guys, it definitely helped.
  • RaPtoR_v9600
    Offline / Send Message
    RaPtoR_v9600 polycounter lvl 4
    Looking great, i love it, add some dust particle :)
    Are those all modular meshes ? and did you all do it in nDo2 ?

You didnt use pillars from the first posts ?
  • J0NNYquid
    Offline / Send Message
    So I found myself some more time to add some suggestions from a buddy. Let me know what you think.

camraabscifihallpreview1_zpsdb8cf47e.jpg

@RaPtoR I'm unfamiliar with how to do that, but I'll figure it out and if I've got time I'll give it a shot. Yes, the walls/floors/trims are modular. I've had to rearrange some texture sheets to accomodate me continually adding more and more pieces :) I liked the idea of pillars, but I got frustrated and went with a simpler layout, and kind of went on without really giving the pillars a second thought.
  • J0NNYquid
    Offline / Send Message
    Trying out some different things. Trying to draw the eye away from the red pipes overhead, which I've had some complaints about, but am strangely attached to. Plans are to add some stray cables and perhaps a crate or some other misc. filler to keep the eye in the center. Hologram is placeholder, just in there to try it out with the lighting, and I'm already pretty sure I'll dial that back a bit, it feels too bright to me, and I lost some of the blue that I really liked in the previous images.

orangeholotest_zps10801b8d.jpg

Crits not only welcome but definitely needed. Messed around with the floating dust particle effect, moderate success, needs to be tweaked a lot but I'm liking what I've got so far. Does anyone know if there's a way to make the light in the scene determine the color of the dust particles, as in I just make them white, and then whatever light they pass by the color changes? Or am I locked into the color in the material for the particle itself, and just change the color depending on where it is in the scene. Any help is appreciated, thanks.
  • RaPtoR_v9600
    Offline / Send Message
    RaPtoR_v9600 polycounter lvl 4
    If you have time you could made one wall with window just to make that orbital feeling
    Here is good tut on particles UDK http://eat3d.com/free/dust_particles

And last shoot is way better i like it very much... good job bud
  • J0NNYquid
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, another update. Added some more junk to the scene to spice it up a bit.

camraabSciFiHallLights_zps401f4162.jpg

I will be replacing the hologram at the end of the hall, and the dust particles were removed (for now). Been working on the spec maps for everything, as before I only had base spec on everything for preview purposes. Any other ideas for things I could add? Also, I messed with the scene color. Too blue for your tastes? Not blue enough! C&C, as always, more than welcome.
  • Endfinity Jon
    Offline / Send Message
    Endfinity Jon polycounter lvl 8
    Hey there,

I really like your progression, each post is getting better and better! I think you're a little over lit - the materials are sophisticated, shiny, and reflective, and that's helping you some, but I think the scene can use a little more asymmetry in the lighting design. Your palette is predominately blue, with little hints of yellows (in the runners) and possibly some greens toward the end of the hall. I think you should, just as you would do with a model, break up some of the symmetry to get a more complex look.

What is making the player move through this space? Right now, it's pretty even, so I'm not drawn particularly anywhere. The assets are great, so I think introducing more drama would give you a completely fresh and more interesting look.

I propose removing the mirrored lighting scheme and make your right wall dark. We naturally scour an image left to right, and your text reads better on the left wall anyways. Kill the emissive monitor and station writing and let your left wall bring light very softly to the right. I'd aim to have it barely kiss the right wall (so it's not black), but have the right side pretty dark. Have its influence really start to dampen around the footlocker thing you've added in the floor. Then, I'd take the runner lights on the floor and have them softly splash some of the warmth and light onto the floor pipes and the railings. Really sell the rim lighting on the railings - let the light punch up the specularity on those guys. Again, keep the light soft with them, I wouldn't let too much up onto the right wall. Keep the right wall dark enough to where there's great contrast, but not to where it's black - hint at the details that are there.

So, now your right wall is dark - I'd introduce some lighting coming from the top of the stairs on the right. Don't use the monitors, pretend there's a spotlight above a door at the top of the stairs. Now, my eye is moving down the scene, and as a player, I want to find out more about this mysterious light. To make this work, you'll probably need to rework the emissive monitors at the end of the hall - either take them out, or let them barely add light to the scene. Now, the predominant light at the end of the hallway is on the right side creating great contrast from the dark wall to the lit stairwell. To sell this even more, I'd move the extinguisher thing to the right wall and let it's dark silhouette pop off the lit backdrop (light from the stairs).

I'd love to do a paint-over but I don't have anything to do it with at the moment. I hope this gives you some ideas. If anything else is unclear, just ask, I'll be watching the thread. Good luck!

-Jon
  • ZeroStrike
    Offline / Send Message
    ZeroStrike polycounter lvl 8
    Wow! I have been kind of watching your thread here for a bit and I am really impressed by the progression. Really improving. I agree with the lighting being very blue and getting some more variation in the lighting would be good. It might be kind of cool to see like some wrenches, wires, and an open panel on the right with different lighting. Like someone had been working on that section cause there's some kind of problem, etc.

@ Jon That is some really good crit. I really love your portfolio environments and lighting. Sad to hear about 38 studios. I hope you have found new work. I am a Baltimore local and I was really wanting to apply to Big Huge, but its not around. Impossible studios is close by in Hunt Valley. I might try there sometime. Need to work on my own work till then.

-Ryan
  • J0NNYquid
    Offline / Send Message
    @Jon That's about the best kind of critique I could ask for ha! I will definitely look to include some of those changes ASAP.

@Zero Thank you, it's been rewarding feeling myself gain more confidence as I go along. I would like to incorporate some wires and more miscellaneous stuff in the scene, I've got plenty of room on my texture sheet so there's really no limit.
  • J0NNYquid
    Offline / Send Message
    Another incremental update. Tried incorporating some of the lighting suggestions from above. I like how it turned out.

8422831690_3d8ec12bfe_b.jpg
    camraabSciFiHallLights2 by camraab, on Flickr

Still to do: Figure out what I'm going to do with the end of the hallway, and whether or not I want a hologram down there. Obviously I've got to add a cable for the work light, and I'm not sure if I'm sold on the plants. Thanks for checking it out!
  • ZeroStrike
    Offline / Send Message
    I am not sure about the flowers, there. You had them for a time and are bringing them back. What is it you are trying to do with them? Are you trying to add something more organic into the scene?

Also btw, I'm sure sure if you have seen these guy's threads. They are kind of similar to yours. http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=102301&highlight=server+room

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=85296&highlight=%5BUDK%5D+CORRIDOR_01
  • J0NNYquid
    Offline / Send Message
    @Zero Yeah that was the goal. I didn't like the white flowers, so I gave them a little pinker tint.

Also messed around with the dust particles, I just don't want to overdo it. Same goes for a lens flare. Would like to add one to the work light, but again, I don't want to overload the scene. Here's a quick shot, again, didn't change much other than dust particles and pinker flowers.

8427176464_1299db78bd_b.jpg
    Sci-Fi Hall by camraab, on Flickr
  • J0NNYquid
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, running into a few issues. First off, we've got whatever the hell is happening here:

8428081999_54e71933e1_b.jpg
    HallFuzziness by camraab, on Flickr

It's like this all over the map. I'm not sure what's causing it, and it shows up strange in Max as well. Never run into this before so maybe some more experienced eyes might know what this is. Next, I'm having an issue with the cubemap:

8428082027_3a631cb116_b.jpg
    HallFlippedCubeMap by camraab, on Flickr

As you can see, the cubemap is reflecting on the wall incorrectly indicated by the red arrow. I don't know if I'm understanding it correctly, but I believe it should be going in the direction of the green arrow. Nearing the finish line with this one, here it is with an added lens flare to the work light:

8428041705_d31d62ecb5_b.jpg
    Sci-Fi Hall Update by camraab, on Flickr
  • J0NNYquid
    Offline / Send Message
    Been sick for a solid week, first day back and it feels so good. Messed around with the lens flare a bit, and added some lightshafts coming from the light up around the corner, yet they don't show up in the screenshot? Same goes for the lens flare effect I added, you can see the blue and green orbs in all four corners of the image, whereas in the editor they are single instances that follow the player. I'm assuming this is cause by me using the tiledshot command in UDK, but I don't know how to fix it. Anyways:

8451462983_0753872557_b.jpg
    SciFi Hall Update by camraab, on Flickr

As you can see, I'm playing around with an anti-gravity type of thing. The question is, what do you think? Good addition? If I stick with it I plan on doing some destruction in the back right corner where the light would be coming from out to space, and I'd change the holograms to display a warning of some sort. I just don't want it to get too busy. As always, critique welcome.
  • J0NNYquid
    Offline / Send Message
    Another update, feels like I'm constantly tinkering now, adding more things every time. 8455236842_49923bedc9_b.jpg
    Sci-Fi Hall Update 2/7/2013 by camraab, on Flick

Pretty obvious tweaks in the colors of a few things, not sure if I'm keeping them, but I like some of the additions. Let me know what you guys think, is it too much, not enough? Love it or hate it, let me know.
  • xXm0RpH3usXx
    Offline / Send Message
    xXm0RpH3usXx polycounter lvl 13
    the thing that strikes me most is the flashlight, thats not having any volumetric light.
    also you might want to turn it a bit, so you can see the on/off switch. would make it more readable.

for my taste, you are getting too colorfull overall, but dont take me on that, i'm nobody ;)
  • J0NNYquid
    Offline / Send Message
    @Morpheus You sir are correct, the Flashlight has no information on it yet whatsoever, it's just a base mesh with a little light on the crate to show what I wanted to do. I'm not very well versed with lighting in UDK, so I will look into the volumetric lighting.

as far as too colorful, I was worried about that too. While I do like some of the additions, I was sort of fond of the bluish tint overall. At some point I'll have to stop tinkering :)
  • xXm0RpH3usXx
    Offline / Send Message
    xXm0RpH3usXx polycounter lvl 13
    thats the good and the bad side of the medal:

Pros:
    You can do EVERYTHING in 3D!

Cons:
    You can do EVERYTHING in 3D!

:P
  • J0NNYquid
    Offline / Send Message
    Decided to call this one done. I had to stop myself at some point. Will be getting construction shots, as well as some iso's of the modular pieces for the ol' portfolio in the days to come. I Really can't offer enough thanks to those who gave critique throughout the thread.

8463575152_2beed922bb_b.jpg
    Sci-Fi Hallway by camraab, on Flickr

8462475539_5c98c15db0_b.jpg
    Sci-Fi Hallway2 by camraab, on Flickr

Moving on to other projects now, but if there is enough consensus on something that needs to be changed, I can always find time to revisit this. Again, thank you for all your input, I truly, truly appreciate it.
  • ZeroStrike
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the idea of zero-g. I like the overall look of your scene. I am not sure if this is just me. But I like alittle bit of dutch angle in a space shot. Just a little to help make the scene feel like its in space because the camera would also be in zero-g. But it could also just be me. That and I am watching Planetes right now.

Also I see Greentooth. :D