Homeā€ŗ 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Contest] Gilesruscoe mixamo entry

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
gilesruscoe polycounter lvl 10
Decided i'd have a crack at the mixamo contest as it'll be good motivation to get another folio character done. Mixamo have said that having a friend do the concept for your entry is fine, so with that being said Joseph Silverman was kind enough to draw some extra sketches for me to go with one of his concepts.

Joseph's folio can be found here - www.catkilo.com

mixamoconcept.jpg

Here is where i am at the moment with the blocking in and the base sculpt. There are still a lot of areas that need sculpting properly, like the front of the upper leg, the entire back side of the leg, hands, neck etc. Any feedback would be great throughout the making of this!

mixamo6.jpg

Replies

• sybrix
    Offline / Send Message
    sybrix polycounter lvl 13
    Wow this looks great so far! The knee area and front view of the thigh looks pretty ace, really spot on. Although I must say her face is looking quite masculine right now.
  • gilesruscoe
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Sybrix. The face is still really WIP but i'm not sure what to do next with it to make it match the concept a little better. Here's a close up in the hope of getting a bit of guidance:
    MIXAMO7.jpg

Also fixed up some proportional/shape issues with the legs

MIXAMO8.jpg
  • Stoop_Kid
    Hey, this is looking pretty cool!

I think you could puff out the cheeks a bit or maybe widen the cheek area a bit-the face still doesn't look exactly like the concept, but it should look fine regardless. :)

Also, I'm curious to know what weapon and class were you modeling her after?

Looks sweet, can't wait to see more!
  • JR
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    Man, looking at the concept, I'd say that if I was you, I woulnd't try to realistic approach. Instead, I'd prefer to folow some stylized refs, like this:

http://blogdebrinquedo.com.br/tag/bishoujo+marvel/ or this
    http://images.gamekult.com/blog/imgdb/000/000/086/867_2.jpg
  • gilesruscoe
    Offline / Send Message
    @Stoop, thanks for the crits, will be working on the face once i get the armor all blocked in. I'm not sure if we're allowed to mix up the classes? She's a mage.. but i think she should look better with daggers than a staff. I'm going to be making my weapons not using the mixamo ones anyway, so if i must use a staff atleast i can make it fit her outfit.
    @Riot thanks man, best of luck with your entry too!

@Jramauri, Thanks for the ideas, but seeming as my last character was a stylised one and my portfolio is lacking in (good) realistic characters, i think i'l be keeping her more on the realistic side. Really like that first link though, might be a good thought for future projects.

Small update, put in some more base meshes, straps and buckles.
    mixamo10.jpg
  • MGrecke
    Offline / Send Message
    MGrecke polycounter lvl 7
    liking how the clothing is turning out! great job!
  • mixamo
    This is making great progress, loving the feedback and sportmanship going on here.
  • gilesruscoe
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, seeming as there was so much attention towards the face i thought id take a break from blocking out stuff to work on it.

First iteration looked like this (yuk!)
    mixamo11.jpg

And then Joseph gave me some feedback + this paint over and we discussed facial planes etc. also checked out some of Funkybunny's work to help figure out certain areas.
    gilesfacepaint.jpg

After some back and forth with crits, here is how the face currently stands. I know the neck is quite long, but i think it works rather well with the rest of the character (opinions please?).

mixamo13.jpg

Edit: Here's a body shot with face update
    mixamo14.jpg
  • Joseph Silverman
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah, I still think there's some work to be done, especially to the profile, but she's looking pretty slick in 3/4ths at the moment, which is definitely the most important thing for a 3d asset!
  • gilesruscoe
    Offline / Send Message
    Just made her pouch tonight, did a little step by step for anybody who might find it useful. Don't think i like the different groups of leather. Will probably just keep it as one colour or just the trim as a different one.

mixamostepbystep.jpg

mixamostepbystepfinished.jpg
  • waterbear1224
    The improvements to her face are really starting to come through, esp. on the lips. Her profile from mid nose going up might need some work, I think.

Her pouch was coming out really well, but I think some of the zbrush work isn't helping it, mostly in the strap that goes over the top of it. When it was just in stage 2 or 4, it looked like a brand new hard leather bag. Now it's a bit messy. Either, I'd keep it looking brand new or really push the beat up leather pouch feel.

great job though
  • gilesruscoe
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks water, i agree, the strap in the middle went very mushy, but it was like 1am and i needed my bed haha. I'l revert it back to the newer looking strap.

Fixed up some of the profile issues with the nose/brow and painstakingly added all this hair.. there isn't going to be as many planes in the final one, i just duplicated the final hair and added a sub-d to it so the hair has a bit more volume for now.

mixamohair.gif
  • JR
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    Hey, the face looks waaaay better, man, great job! But she looks a bit cross eyed now, something easy to fix. I'm digging the progress.
  • gilesruscoe
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks :D Yea i painted the eyes badly and now she's looking inward toolazytofixrightnow :P Not a huge issue though, just for the sake of highpoly previews.
  • TehSplatt
    Offline / Send Message
    TehSplatt polycounter lvl 11
    characters looking great :D nice!
  • gilesruscoe
    Offline / Send Message
    Got bored, did shader test.. 30second texture job couldn't be any worse, but i like the anisotropic direction stuff.

hair.gif

Also did some work on the hands and made some simple rings

Lumpy thumb is lumpy:
    hands.jpg

rings.jpg
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    the face is a lot better than it was...

!BUT!

currently the polypainting you've done is masking problems in the forms of her face, so post some neutral matcap shots.
    the jawline is incredibly sharp, the transition from jaw to neck just looks like it needs a lot of softening.
    her chin, and generally the area below her mouth is very "pointy". there's not really any other way to describe it. you can see in the 3/4 view what i mean, there's almost no "fill" of flesh around that area.
    as a general critique, a lot of her features could be softened up a little, you seem to have this thing with sharp lines (pinch tool?) to form definition, and i just don't think it's reading that well personally. like look at the bottom lip, look at the angles in the side view, it literally goes like this > instead of like this ) transitioning from the lip to the chin.
    try bringing her eyes closer together, and rotating the eyeballs outward some... get rid of that cross-eyed look.
  • gilesruscoe
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Riot, thanks!

@Almighty - I use and abuse the trim dynamic brush a lot, so that may explain the rogue sharp edges. Went and smoothed out relevant area's and gave her a bit more meat below the lip as suggested. Here's clay shots of the face and body. Also - i actually started this off using your base mesh from Hazardous' character course, so thanks for that!

Mixamo16.jpg

Mixamo15.jpg
  • Voice
    Offline / Send Message
    Voice polycounter lvl 9
    good work so far ,
    character is coming along great but head is a bit out of shape, remember that the highest point of the skull is just behind the ear

good luck

5RcPr.gif
  • gilesruscoe
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey voice, thanks for the PO.

MASSIVE thankyou to Almighty_Gir for going over my mesh with me in g+ and teaching me a bunch of awesome tricks/pointers.

Here's the latest with the face.
    Mixamo17.jpg

mixamo18.jpg

Tomorrow i'l resume armour work, and probably get started tackling the first bits of cloth.
  • Lost-Artist89
    Offline / Send Message
    Lost-Artist89 polycounter lvl 10
    awesome progress dude, really nice face on her :) want to see more of this
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    hey man, i was more than happy to help, i just wish i had the time to help more people more of the time like this!

but as i'm sure everyone else can see, i've still got a long way to go, and now i've woken up there are things i'd still go back and change haha!

thanks so much for helping me practice, and more importantly, thanks for listening, and taking it all on board man. it means a lot to me, and your girl is looking great now!
  • gilesruscoe
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers almighty!

Here's another update. Just sculpted the leggings and started on the shirt. Also revised colour scheme.

Mixamo19.jpg
  • Lavitz
    Offline / Send Message
    Lavitz polycounter lvl 12
    Awesome progress, I especially like the changes to the face.
    Keep up the great work can't wait to see this character finished.
  • ambitious_nomad
    You are moving fast. I am loving the progress can't wait to see some more. Are you going to be making some weapons?
  • GemmaSuen
    Offline / Send Message
    GemmaSuen polycounter lvl 9
    Hey Giles, your work is really impressive. :) It's Gemma from 3rd year, I'm going to follow your progress. I might enter this competition too. Thanks for posting the link!
  • gilesruscoe
    Offline / Send Message
    Lavitz, Ambitious_nomad and JinSuen, Thanks a lot guys :D

@Ambitious_nomad, yep i'l be making a set of daggers for her most likely. Although the concept is clearly a magic user, i don't think she fits into the magic class of necomancer which is the only magic class in the contest. So i'l just change her into a rogue.
    @JinSuin, You definately should! would be good to get another swansea person in the contest!:P

Lil update (didnt want to bump without putting up more stuff)
    Did her belt buckle and stitching. The buckle is pretty simple and has large shapes as i want to get some nice clean bakes from it, anything more intricate would be lost in a pixel mush.
    Mixamobelt.jpg

Here's a gif for anybody wondering how to place stitching without it taking forever, a little hand tweaking is needed to get everything how you want it.
    stitching-minigif.gif
  • gilesruscoe
    Offline / Send Message
    did a fair bit more of the cloth now, think i may be done sculpting her tunic and legs.

general update turntable (i make way too many gif's it seems)
    mixamo21.gif

Any thoughts on the cloth around the belly area and how to make it better? i've been told it looks way off.
  • Stoop_Kid
    Wow! It's looking even better O.O

I love how you did the hair, pouches, and rings. Sweet!

Her face is looking awesome. Can't wait to see more! :D
  • gilesruscoe
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a lot stoop_Kid :)

redid the cloth on her torso, sculpted the hood, added some noise to the cloth, changed a little bit of colour scheme, adding a load of little stitches and stuff. Also adjusted the belt a little bit to add more silhouette to her.

mixamo22.jpg
  • aajohnny
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    I'm lovin it! keep it going :)
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    was awesome watching you work on this in the hangout earlier man. it's coming along so well.

FINISH HER!
  • waterbear1224
    She's looking great! Keep it up.
  • gilesruscoe
    Offline / Send Message
    finished up the highpoly (nothing much extra added to worth showing another render really, just more stitching, lacing etc and the hood attachment)

Also finished up making the lowpoly for her. Made the sheeths for the daggers, just need to make the daggers now.. but il do that after i have her finished. lowpoly weighs in at 13934 tri's. So i have just over 1k left for alpha planes for buckles, the fur on the boots and eyelashes. which is more than enough.

retopomix.jpg

silhouetteturntablemixamo.gif

edit: crap, polycount includes weapons, misread brief, time to cut out a few polys :P
  • gilesruscoe
    Offline / Send Message
  • Di$array
    Offline / Send Message
    Di$array polycounter lvl 5
    Oooo shiny.

The bake came out great mate. But personally I would drop most of the hair planes in favour of the larger planes. Other than that keep going and I look forward to the texturing.
  • gilesruscoe
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea i may take out some hair planes, depends how good it looks once its textured and if i need to get some more polys back for the weapons (really should make those next but meh!)

Started to block in basic colour and spec values, going to start texturing properly tomorrow.
    mixamotexturestart.jpg
  • gilesruscoe
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished up painting skin tones, got her eyelashes in and some hair stuff going on.
    mixamofacetex.jpg
  • gilesruscoe
    Offline / Send Message
    Got a few hours of texture work done tonight, hopefully i can get a fair bit more done tomorrow aswell. She still needs a gloss map so a few materials are a little off in the spec values.

mixamotexturewip1.jpg
  • gilesruscoe
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished up texturing her, atleast for now. Just need to fix up some minor seam issues. Going to move onto making her daggers now and then making a little scene for her beauty shots.
    Edit, i lie, i need to add her rings still :)
    huge pic sorry!:
    mixamotextures.png
  • JR
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    Great progress, man. I really like her. Hair looks really good. The face looks a bit elongated to me. You could try to shorten it just a litlle bit. But overall, your progress is being excellent.
  • gilesruscoe
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey man, you weren't the first to comment on the long face, so i fixed it up (squash mod's to the rescue!)
    headmod.giffacefix.jpg
  • gilesruscoe
    Offline / Send Message
    Decided the rings arnt really worth the polys, i'm approaching the 15k mark and id rather not have any rings than have crappy looking ones. i'd probably just bake them on next time, but can't do that on this as i've mirroed the hands.

Modelled a dagger for her, 494 tris 1024x1024 textures
    mixamodaggers.jpg

And final A pose renders for folio. Need to pose her and do beauty shot and construction shot still. Waiting to see if we're allowed to make scenery for them to stand in first though.
    mixamoaposefinal.jpg
  • gilesruscoe
    Offline / Send Message
    alright, i guess these will be my final renders, time to move on!
    The_Rogue_Beautyshot.png

The_rogue_Constructionshot.png

roguetexturessmall.jpg
  • skylebones
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    Nice work Giles! This really looks great. Each character you have done has been a big leap in quality. Really been stepping up.
  • I-ninja
    Offline / Send Message
    I-ninja polycounter lvl 5
    Hey gilesruscoe
    mixamo wrote:
    No it will not count towards the limit. But please keep the bg poly count less than the character's poly count. That is the only thing we would ask.
    I-ninja wrote:
    for our beauty Shot if we make a background (ex. Some one made an elf archer and for the beauty shot they made the elf running it the woods) will the count as part of our 15,000 Triangles?

if you would work on her a little longer
  • gilesruscoe
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah thanks for that ninja, didn't see the mixamo post. I'l consider it, i've got plenty of time before the deadline so i guess i could do that.
  • mixamo
    Bam, SO FAST! Fantastic work!

I'm still in shock and awe at your speed.
  • Helreaper
    Offline / Send Message
    Helreaper polycounter lvl 5
    Brilliant work brah. Keep it up and good luck :)
  • chrisundrum
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisundrum polycounter lvl 9
    Hey giles! I think your model looks great and I really dig the pose, soo good job!

I think if I had to critique though it would be the UV shell for her face. Her UV shell for the most important part of the model has been compressed to about 10% of the shell while the rest has been so relaxed out it takes a larger portion and most of it is covered by hair anyways! I figure you are probably calling this one done, but when you decide to do another character give alot more space to the face so that you can add even more detail.