Home Career & Education

Art Periods/History

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
IchII3D polycounter lvl 12
Recently I was getting some critic on my work when a friend mentioned how similar it was to Rococo. My response was "what's that?". This made me realise I have very little knowledge of art periods and history. I'm typically one to shun away education, but it made me realised how valuable knowing the different periods of art history could be. Not just to help communicate but to start thinking about mixing periods together to create dramatic art styles.

So anyway I started using this website as reference http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art_periods but was wondering if anyone had any book recommendations? It would be great to flick through lots of pictures and small bits of reading while slugging on the sofa watching horrible TV.

If not a book, has anyone found an awesome website that everyone needs to checkout. Please share as I'm very much coming up empty :(

Replies

• Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    IchII3D wrote: »
    I'm typically one to shun away education
    Huh? Why? Where's the disadvantage in knowing more? Even if you find the knowledge to be useless, at least you know what to avoid. Or maybe you mean that you usually shun official education in favor of exploring things yourself, in which case I'm right there with you.

At any case, it seems to me to be a genuine problem now that we're forgetting things. There are things, especially in art, that have already been solved and figured out, books have been written, and yet we make those mistakes today.

IchII3D wrote: »
    If not a book, has anyone found an awesome website that everyone needs to checkout. Please share as I'm very much coming up empty :(

http://www.artrenewal.org/
  • xk0be
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This seems cool, http://arthistory.about.com/od/arthistory101/Art_History_101.-J53.htm

I would also suggest finding pics to go along with all that btw just from google, Just every period as you read it google some images. in my art history 1 class I finished just a month ago I can not remember a single word the teacher said to me (it was a 9 AM class too so theres that) but I remember the pictures and can see the different periods in my head a little bit.
  • DeadlyFreeze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DeadlyFreeze polycounter lvl 17
    With a few exceptions of painters like Bosch and Bruegel you can safely just skip to the 19th century and not miss much. Pre 19th century can be summed up as portrait of some dude, portrait of some chick, landscape, greek god, and Jesus x 5000.
  • SimonT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
  • paulsvoboda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    paulsvoboda polycounter lvl 12
    With a few exceptions of painters like Bosch and Bruegel you can safely just skip to the 19th century and not miss much. Pre 19th century can be summed up as portrait of some dude, portrait of some chick, landscape, greek god, and Jesus x 5000.

Um...What???
    Please don't do this, you'd be missing out on some of the greatest painters, art eras and most fascinating paintings, techniques, etc.
    I've got a bunch of Art books but they all sort of revolve around either one period or one artist in particular. I know there are some anthologies chronicling the whole history of art which could serve as a good introduction.

Books revolving around one artist can be good too as they will usually have a long introduction revolving around other painters who may have served as an influence and this can sort of give you a good overview of a specific era or lead you down a long rabbit hole of buying a lot of books on various artists. You could try finding a few artists from each period you really like and then get a book on each one, which should give you a good overview.

I also visit this site often: http://www.wikipaintings.org/
    There's a lot not there though.

If you really want to learn about it, the best way would be to go to an Art Museum and start taking down names of artists you like, researching when they lived, etc. That's also probably the most enjoyable as it will open you up to a lot of artists that are hard to come by.
  • DeadlyFreeze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DeadlyFreeze polycounter lvl 17
    I'm not saying it isn't important or isn't interesting, but viewing it creatively it is very limited. There are not a lot of ideas floating around beyond religious idolatry and pure technique.
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    I'm not saying it isn't important or isn't interesting, but viewing it creatively it is very limited. There are not a lot of ideas floating around beyond religious idolatry and pure technique.

Eh, not only talking about paintings here dude. I wouldnt say you are even close to being right about painting EITHER, but theres also architechture, you know...

Studying the history and styles of architechture throughout history (atleast from roman times until today) is great not only for your sense of understanding architechture etc, but also great inspiration.
  • battlecow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    battlecow polycounter lvl 12
    To only name a few : Rembrandt, caravagio, da vinci. Everything is there and you won't have enough of a life time to learn half of it : Composition, lightning, mood, anatomy...Some of the greatest inspiration is there it would be a shame to overlook it.
  • Macattackk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Macattackk polycounter lvl 7
    Heres a site which describes one of my favorite art periods, Symbolism, which is a pre-curser to my other favorite period, Surrealism.

http://www.tendreams.org/symbolism-art.htm

The wiki doesnt really describe it that well. It's cool cause it creates a really empty mood when you look at art in that period.
  • Dylan Brady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
    http://books.google.com/books/about/Art_History.html?id=RdDNRAAACAAJ
    This was the textbook for basically all my art history classes, if you want something that covers all the eras and hist most of the major paintings/artists from each movement its the best.
    Its huge , but written well
  • IchII3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer wrote: »
    Eh, not only talking about paintings here dude. I wouldnt say you are even close to being right about painting EITHER, but theres also architechture, you know...

Studying the history and styles of architechture throughout history (atleast from roman times until today) is great not only for your sense of understanding architechture etc, but also great inspiration.

Defiantly, this is exactly what I hope to get out of understanding history a lot more. As an environment artist its a very powerful thing to have the scope and knowledge to ground and theme yourself within minutes simply by having the knowledge of art history/eras.

An example would be saying this room is going to be Rococo Science Fiction or how about we make this building Neoclassical Futurism. Straight away simply by saying a few words you already have a fairly bold vision.

Environments such as the ones in Bioshock are fantastic but if you break it down from a direction stand point its simply a mixture of eras and styles. It becomes new when they are put together and evolved.

Just look at Baroque and Rococo, they are both similar and evolved one after the other, yet different enough to be new for there time.
  • paulsvoboda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    paulsvoboda polycounter lvl 12
    Yeah, Tor, thanks for bringing that up too! :)
    For sort of an overview of architecture, I got these a long time ago to begin studying the subject, and they've sort of stayed with me ever since.
    There are better books out there regarding specific periods but these are great for an introduction to all the various styles.

This one is a small book (lots of info though!) you can carry around with you:[ame="http://www.amazon.com/How-Read-Buildings-Course-Architectural/dp/0847831124/ref=pd_sim_b_27"] http://www.amazon.com/How-Read-Buildings-Course-Architectural/dp/0847831124/ref=pd_sim_b_27[/ame]
    No pretty pictures of different buildings but filled with little diagrams of architectural features. It goes through each style and picks out the defining features, shows various drawings of those features and concisely explains what is inherent in each 'type' of building.
    It's a fantastic starting place for you to be able to instinctively understand and deconstruct a style of a building and why it is made that way.

The next two are more overviews of the various styles with real life examples, pretty pictures, etc.
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Story-Architecture-Jonathan-Glancey/dp/0789493349/ref=pd_sim_b_13"]http://www.amazon.com/Story-Architecture-Jonathan-Glancey/dp/0789493349/ref=pd_sim_b_13[/ame]

http://www.amazon.com/World-History-Architecture-Michael-Fazio/dp/0071544798/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1340875724&sr=8-6&keywords=architecture

These are, again, meant to be introductions and cover large spans of time.

Also, this book is huge but awesome: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/ISLAM-LCT-Architecture-Markus-Hattstein/dp/3833135344/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1340876256&sr=1-2&keywords=islam+art+and+architecture"]http://www.amazon.com/ISLAM-LCT-Architecture-Markus-Hattstein/dp/3833135344/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1340876256&sr=1-2&keywords=islam+art+and+architecture[/ame]
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    I actually had this exact same realization when DeusEx:HR came out and watched the making-of's. The mix of sci-fi, minimal, and renaissance made me realise how little I actually know about the history of Art, and it's a topic I am extremely found of as well, I just never had it top enough on my priorities list to start learning it.

You know, it's is situations like these that I regret not having a Art degree, some say it's a waste of time, others say it's a must to know the background of art per-se, I say knowledge is the most important thing we can have after creativity, it doesn't matter where it comes from.

Anywhooooo, great links posted here, deffo will be bookmarking this thread as well.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator

Even though there's tons of "Jesus-paintings", there are different approaches how artists portray their subject. From lighting, stylization, setting, poses. Actually it's quite interesting in how many ways the same thing can be presented. As for subject matter - sure, it's essentially the same. But just going by that isn't a good guide when trying to learn more about art history, because for long times the subject stays the same while technique and the approach to the subject matter will change drastically (e.g. notice how Velasquez treats his royal subjects vs. earlier painters).

You will see even better how art progresses (and sometimes makes a step back) when you look at how exactly the same subject is treated differently in different periods.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    [HP] wrote: »
    I actually had this exact same realization when DeusEx:HR came out and watched the making-of's. The mix of sci-fi, minimal, and renaissance made me realise how little I actually know about the history of Art, and it's a topic I am extremely found of as well, I just never had it top enough on my priorities list to start learning it.

You know, it's is situations like these that I regret not having a Art degree, some say it's a waste of time, others say it's a must to know the background of art per-se, I say knowledge is the most important thing we can have after creativity, it doesn't matter where it comes from.

I'm in the same boat. I'm sure there are good art history videos on youtube. Would anyone recommend a specific channel?
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    There are a lot of rather good art books out there, and some may be inspiring even though they're very specific. I visit the local book store every now and then, and they've got a section with discounted books, which often includes art books. Got me some that I never would've thought of looking for, such as one about the decoration of 17th century Dutch houses, or Flemish Renaissance music, or pilgrimage jewellery or Rococo furniture.

For architecture, I've got Understanding Architecture. Its elements, history, and meaning by Leland M. Roth. It's a great book in that it explains the necessities and techniques, and goes on with a chronological analysis, always linking the aesthetics and functions to the zeitgeist. Despite it being about architecture, it's not a bad start for art history alltogether, in my opinion.

As far as art in general goes, I have A World History of Art by Hugh Honour and John Fleming. It spans art from cave paintings to a Second Life documentary, with all kinds of cultures in between. The drawback is that it's a gargantuan and expensive book of nearly 1000 A4 pages. Still, I like how it clearly presents the virtues of every style. I don't like modern art, but now I can at least understand what it's trying to do.

Neither, mind, are really lots of pictures with little text in between. The text portion is dominant in both. But there's a difference between knowing what historical art looks like and understanding it, and pictures can only get you to the former.

Also, don't listen to DeadlyFreeze. Have a look at this in-depth analysis of a painting by Jan van Eyck. A portrait of the donator praying to the Virgin is one of the most common medieval themes, but it turns out that Van Eyck expresses an entire view on life and references several theologians in the painting's subtleties.
    (More features can be found on the Louvre website -> Learning about art -> A closer look. The Winged victory and Bertin are really good ones too)
  • Gestalt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gestalt polycounter lvl 11
    Something other than architecture that is really good to look into before the 19th century would be the fashions of the past. There's lot of amazing and inspiring work.

As an aside the content of a painting isn't necessarily the value, especially for inspiration. Getting overly caught up in what a painting is trying to 'say' is probably the biggest problem with art today; a great work of visual art should be able to stand on its own and be experienced without the need of commentary. If it can't do that then it's novelty work that won't stand the test of time. Artists of the past understood that well, you see it in the great compositions, lighting, beauty, subtlety, detail, wonder and awe (religious work has value beyond the religious message; there is the 'experience'), and it's why you shouldn't ignore their work.

edit: also for art history topics you may be able to find things on academicearth or other free university sites, I found this on Roman architecture http://www.academicearth.org/courses/roman-architecture
  • vik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vik polycounter lvl 13

No offense dude but this must be one of the most ignorant post I ever read on polycount.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Any character artists that only have a surface knowledge of art history should look up Gian Lorenzo Bernini, I prefer his statue of David to Michelangelo's. It's a dynamic pose, is meant to be viewed from all sides and he looks like a badass rather than a baby faced cherub.
  • IchII3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gestalt wrote: »
    Something other than architecture that is really good to look into before the 19th century would be the fashions of the past. There's lot of amazing and inspiring work.

As an aside the content of a painting isn't necessarily the value, especially for inspiration. Getting overly caught up in what a painting is trying to 'say' is probably the biggest problem with art today; a great work of visual art should be able to stand on its own and be experienced without the need of commentary. If it can't do that then it's novelty work that won't stand the test of time. Artists of the past understood that well, you see it in the great compositions, lighting, beauty, subtlety, detail, wonder and awe (religious work has value beyond the religious message; there is the 'experience'), and it's why you shouldn't ignore their work.

edit: also for art history topics you may be able to find things on academicearth or other free university sites, I found this on Roman architecture http://www.academicearth.org/courses/roman-architecture

You make a great point, I think no matter what discipline you are, be that environment or character. There is a wealth of knowledge out there and inspiration from the past. I would rather see more character designs from history over another man in camo with pouch problems.

1920s.jpg

1920s_fashion_lineup.jpg
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    Gardner's Art through the Ages was my college art history textbook. It's thick, heavy and can double as a doorstop or anti-Zombie weapon.....look for a deal though.
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    Any character artists that only have a surface knowledge of art history should look up Gian Lorenzo Bernini, I prefer his statue of David to Michelangelo's. It's a dynamic pose, is meant to be viewed from all sides and he looks like a badass rather than a baby faced cherub.

still better then donatellos milkface
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter

Ummm.. you do realise the iconographic references from the works of David (Napoleon's Court Painter) helped forge the idealism that lead to the french revolution.

The political and social shifts were presented MUCH differently than how Picasso, or Duchamp would have done it, but they were there.

A Virgin Mary painted in Red (rather than Blue) with hands crossed the other way, looking AWAY from the baby Jesus, would often mean a social revolt against the bourgeois. You just have to be a lot more well versed in the iconographic references of the time to understand what is being portrayed.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Still have my Art History book from college. Learned nothing there, but afterwords just reading the book over and over has been a dream. While I don't have any specific recommendations I enjoy going to the book store and digging around for anything that looks good, lists mediums, cultural reasoning, etc.

Books on archiology are worth a glance too. Love anything on ancient civilizations like Graham Hancock's Fingerprints of the Gods and Underworld.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15

This is stupid, ignorant, incorrect, and should be ignored and shunned under all possible circumstances.

If anything, skipping the 19th century and forward would be a safer bet if you want to make good art. Much of art output of the 19th century and forward did nothing to push art forward in either medium or technique, but only in how it comments on socio-political issues. All the most exciting developments in painting, sculpture, music and poetry happened hundreds of years earlier in the late middle ages, the Renaissance and subsequent art movements not long after. Oil paints were invented, sculpture went beyond the previous highs of the Greeks, music was codified, standardized and given serious study, and the works of authors such as Shakespeare redefined what literature could do.

Later periods of art focused more and more on social and political commentary and less on actually developing the craft. Certainly older artists placed great importance on commentary (hell, just look at what Dante did with the Divine Comedy and its inclusion of huge numbers of Florentine intellectuals and nobles), but there were huge revolutions in the art world during earlier centuries that have gone unmatched in five hundred years.

By studying the history of art, you can make your own art better by learning the techniques of master artists who redefined what their medium could do. Certainly there are thousands of incredible artists alive today (just as there have always been), but none of them are matching the revolutionary genius of Da Vinci, Michelangelo, Bernini, Rembrandt, or any number of others.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    uggh I always hated art history. We had this lecturer who was really annoying at uni, kept leaning in to the microphone and swearing, like it meant something.
    love rembrandt though and leonardo
  • shoes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shoes polycounter lvl 6
    Ancient Near Eastern art is my favorite. Go to the Oriental Institute in Chicago and try not to be awed by their nearly two story Lamassu from an ancient palace in Babylon they have on display. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d5/Lammasu.jpg . I hope one day to be able to go over to where they have a reconstruction of the whole Babylon Gate.

Actually I find modern art way less engaging than ancient art. Egypt, Greece, Rome, Mesopotamia, Pre-Christian Alpine Traditions, Aztec and Native American art, even really really ancient stuff like the monoliths at Göbekli Tepe. Sure glad I didn't skip to the 19th century ...

Also the Brutalist and Futurist architecture movements are pretty cool.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    had a really good teacher at college for art history. Before that class I too saw it as "mostly the same" but he really taught us where to look. We'd actually critique classical art and compare pieces. The teacher would just ask what we notice about a piece and after we had our "aha!" moments we'd discuss where the innovations happened, where any hidden symbolism was, what techniques were used, etc. One of the best courses I had in college.

It also equipped me with a copy of Jansen's history of art, which also makes for a great weapon in the zombie apocalypse
  • Dylan Brady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
    yeah, too expand on Kwramms post, if you get a teacher that really goes through the paintings and has a dialogue with the students, it makes the whole experience extremely enjoyable. My teacher would point out references and ask the students for their readings, all the while relating it to the events and history behind the painting.
    I guess just ad it to the list of subject within academia whose enjoyability is entirely contingent on the teacher.
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    I think it also helps if you just have an interest of history of any sort. I loved history before I went to college and I found my art history classes enjoyable. My Western Art History teacher went through the paintings and really analyzed them and asked us what we thought of them. This class basically focused on Renaissance up to Cubism and there is a LOT to go through.
    I didn't like my Eastern Art History class as much, mainly because the teacher had no idea what she was doing. She couldnt even pronounce have the names/locations correctly. But I just had a great interest in Eastern Art so it kinda helped make my experience tolerable.
    And my Modern Art History teacher was probably one of the better teachers I've had. We went to art museums at least every month. And he really knew his stuff.

So I guess while it does come down to the teacher, at least having an interest in history will help as well.
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Those who ignore history,.... are doomed!
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    posting in 9 year old threads is also keeping history alive?
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    AK! Didnt see the date. My apologies for the necrophilia.
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Still a relevant conversation to have— the game artist who only knows games is an age-old curse (it applies in many other fields, too, of course.) So many people never look into the wider world of art, architecture, photography, etc. It also seems like so few people actually closely look at the world around them to see how different things go together, work, are made, etc.

Youtube, domestika, etc, are all great ways to see how different crafts are done, and to increase knowledge about the arts and crafts that make up our world.

Heck, some artists just have a way of looking at the world that can make us completely reevaluate how we see it, ourselves. Which has its own value, but also artistic value.

Now, enjoy a work by Ivan Rabuzin:

And one by Charles Burchfield:

• Beestonian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Beestonian polycounter lvl 9
    I find that art is also a great tool to understand how the world works. Drawing or modelling something accurately involves representing it's function - and you always have to research to find out what that function is. Form follows function is an educational tool on top of everything else. 

Combining aspects of modern reference with Ancient reference in aspects of humanity that doesn't change might lead to some fascinating resutls. Do you think that soldiers painted medieval tits on their armour in the same way that pilots painted pin-ups of girls on their War planes? I'm certain they did.