Female Character - Black Rock Shooter Beast WIP

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
Poribo polycounter lvl 13
The finished model:
brsb_re_render_by_nightflarer-d5g4lwc.jpg

black_rock_shooter_beast_by_nightflarer-d5e2mcn.jpg
Original Post
I started this character after seeing all the Haz course threads a few weeks ago, which got me in the mood.

I'm modeling Black Rock Shooter in her Beast form/outfit.
1230251190d2e372d0923b23ec21fd8e.jpg?1314187983

This is what I have modeled so far, I still need to model her hands and belt. I'm not sure what I'm going to do for the hair yet though. (I'm not looking forward to retopo'ing and baking, so many subtools haha)
wip3p2.jpg

Replies

• Stoop_Kid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good stuff nightFlarer, I definitely think you're off to an excellent start!

As for the model, there are two things that are sticking out to me. I think something about the eyes stand out- maybe the eyebrows are down too low or the ridge above her eyes are sticking out too far. Something about the shapes and the shadows above the eyes seem off. The feet/ankle area might need a touch up, because it kind of looks like she has cankles. :p It could just be the render though, as I'm used to looking at models in perspective mode.

Her overall anatomy seems like the reference which is good. You're off to a great start, keep it up! I'll make sure to follow and learn some tricks! :D
  • Poribo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments Stoop!

The eyes need a bit "filling up" I think, that's probably causing the weird shadow, but I'm probably going to make her frown more to match the concept/ref first. Though I'm not sure how to fix the cankle thing haha! The boots are quite cylindric, but I'll see what I can do :)
  • Stoop_Kid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh shoot, that's my bad for not examining close enough. XD I thought I was looking at the legs without boots (looking at it on a phone). Not bad then! It'll be interesting to see how you deal with the armor and pieces. :)
  • Poribo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha no problem! XD

Alright, I gave polypainting a try since I recently found out you can bake diffuse, why didn't anyone tell me this!
    brs_beast_wip3_by_nightflarer-d56auj9.jpg
  • SimonT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    Nice contrast! Too many people use too low contrast :D But you should check your anatomy. I think e.g. that your knees are set too deep which makes the upper legs too long...
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    pay attention to the jawline, and the shape of the head in general man, it has truly anime proportions going on, really strong features which your sculpt is lacking. you've sculpted a very round soft face which just doesn't match the character.
  • Poribo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT - Oh wow, you're right, the knees are really low. I'll get on that.

almighty_gir - Could you elaborate? Are you saying to do the face full anime, like what Haz done with his Miku? I'm trying do a hybrid style between anime and realistic.
  • Poribo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Had a small break off her for a while, but I'm picking it up again. Pretty much done the low poly, just need to finish modeling the hair and unwrap everything. I need a better workflow for the hair, as it's pretty time consuming haha.

At the moment the model is about 12,936 tris, and it's only going to go higher as I complete the hair, so I'm gonna aim around 15k - 18k tris. I also lengthened her legs.

wiplowpoly.jpg
  • Stoop_Kid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey dude, glad to see another update! :) I'm hoping to see her finished.

I think this was mentioned before, but the position of the knees seems a bit strange. I think they could either go up, or the feet could go down; the shin seems too short. :/ Something along those lines.

Anyways, good luck, and look forward to seeing more progress!
  • Poribo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Stoop, I've tweaked the knees+boots again, hopefully it's a bit better >_< (I'll probably fix it up a bit more now that I've had a second look)

I've almost finished with the textures, I just gotta model the last transparent blue parts and tweak the hair a bit.

Also dat viewport alpha sorting, such a pain, can't even see her eyelashes anymore. Anyways almost up to the posing stage.
    brs_beast_wip4_by_nightflarer-d5ck90j.jpg
  • Poribo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm calling this done. I've got quite a bit of assignments to do so I had to finish her up.

17626 triangles
    2048x2048 for the main textures
    1024x1024 for the secondary textures

Feedback would be appreciated for future models :)

black_rock_shooter_beast_by_nightflarer-d5e2mcn.jpg
    brsb_portait_by_nightflarer-d5e2mih.jpg
    brsb_turntable_by_nightflarer-d5e2mud.jpg
    brsb_wires_by_nightflarer-d5e2mzk.jpg
    brsb_textures_by_nightflarer-d5e2n22.jpg
  • Poribo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I did a re-render, since the last ones were a bit "flat". The bloom is a lot nicer I think.
    brsb_re_render_by_nightflarer-d5g4lwc.jpg