Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

female likeness

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
spitty polycounter lvl 17
i'm working on a sculpt of an actress. I'm curious if people can tell who this is before i spend too much time on small details. i plan to do a lowpoly and texture eventually. crits are always welcome.

i really need to fix up her ears.

someonewip.jpg

Replies

• Benton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    She is familiar, but I can't just remember her name.
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    its the chick from lost. dont know her name either.
    gj so far, keep at it
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Heya Spitty! I immediately can tell who it is but I think some of the proportions are a bit off. More refs! Watch her in motion a lot, etc.

Also, it could be the lack of any coloration, as that can really add heaps to a likeness.

Also...a facial expression can help to sell a likeness. How often do we see these people with a completely neutral expression? I think the following image is a great example of this point.

This is a sculpt of her, which you may have seen. by Adam Beane.

06.jpg
  • Alphavader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alphavader polycounter lvl 11
    ahh thats kate from lost.. nice dude !
  • elGuapo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    She is one of the hottest women alive...you had better do a good job.
  • spitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cool, i'm glad people are recognizing her. and hopefully it'll get better as i refine the sculpt and texture her.

yeah ryan, i plan on doing some expressions, i just want to get the base down and then do the expressions on different layers. i'm gonna try a smile, and something like that worried face in the sculpt you posted. i've been looking at adam beane's amazing sculpt as i work on her, but i feel like i should try to use photo's of her as much as i can.
  • spitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha! i can't believe its been this long. i finally got back to working on this. i started detailing, polypainting, and adding some fibermesh hair. Yuri Alexander's fibermesh tutorial was really helpful. with a little more time and effort i think i'll be able to make her hair look good.

I still plan on doing a couple expressions too.

evangelinelillywip2.jpg
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good Spitty, it took a minute to recognize her in the first pic but she's getting there. A couple things that stand out to me:
    The chhekbones could be a bit fuller/rounder going into the mouth.
    The crease on the lower eyelid is a little to sharp. I think the size is right but its a bit too obvious from the front.
    The jaw going in to the chin is a bit too pointy as well (from the front view).
    Soften and narrow the dip in the Orbicularis Oris between the nose and upper lip. The upper lip should be a little narrower and the dip should be almost gone where it reaches the nose. Not sure about the dip on the lower lip as well.

ref 1
    ref 2
  • spitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks a lot for the feedback scudz! hopefully i'll have some time to try some of those tweaks tonight. i've never been happy with her lips, its good to have some fresh eyes give me some ideas to try out.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anytime I get to spend looking at pictures of Evangeline Lily is my pleasure :D