Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Yedp

Replies

• Paris Taylor-Jones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paris Taylor-Jones polycounter lvl 3
    I like the variety of stuff in your sketchbook - from 3D printing to 2D animation even!
    I think your eye for anatomy and observation would be the most important thing to develop at this point. For example in your latest full body sculpt (post #49) the arms are too short I feel - for drawing I usually use the rough 'rule' that your wrists are parallel to your junk and that your fingers kinda come to mid-thigh whereas your guys wrists seem to be falling between the crotch and navel area? I also get a 'teenage' body vibe from the guy despite the ripped torso - I think it might be that the shoulders are a tad narrow and the hands and head is a touch large? Artists like Andrew Lomis have some good diagrams about the proportions of the 'ideal' human so it might be worth having a google for your reference folders :) Sorry I can't be much more help-wise!
    Your female sculpt is looking good although the normals on her face seemed a bit...harsh? I think the pore detail to me was coming off as acne scars rather than pore/microsurface detail so I kinda prefer the smoothed version that adding the diffuse has created. Her hair looks great from the front and you've already identified that it needs more volume in the back. Would be great if you could get in some slightly coloured roots or something to really tie it to her scalp? :)
  • Yedp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yedp polycounter lvl 7
    EDIT: duplicate message
  • Yedp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yedp polycounter lvl 7
    EDIT: duplicate message
  • Yedp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yedp polycounter lvl 7
    PARIS TAYLOR-JONES, sorry for the very late answer! I didn't lurk on this forum for a while and didn't notice your message!
    First of all, I wanted to thank you for taking the time to write your nice comment and very helpful feedbacks! I saw your sketchbook quite a few times and always was amazed with your art, I'm very honored you would take time to comment on my sketchbook!

I am unfortunately interested in too many things, therefore losing my focus and I mastered nothing in the end, so in a way it is not so good haha.
    I need to work on my art foundation more, definitely my eyes for anatomy is not so good!

As you stated for the male anatomy, you are totally right overall, I can't believe I couldn't notice for the wrists until you mentioned it! I need to get to really study Andrew Loomis more.
    For the female, although I considered that project "finished" (worked slowly several months on it and kinda reached my limit for now in terms of my actual abilities it seems), I will keep the normal details in mind, I want to eventually redo an other one very soon and get better! The hair root color is a great idea too, thank you, I really want to try it on my next work!

Your feedback was very helpful I learned actually a lot from that, thanks again!
  • Yedp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yedp polycounter lvl 7
    Hello, I haven't posted in a while, so I'm uploading the few things I have done since last time.

My last project was to build some small AR experience on Hololens for Porsche China, I had to do some model retopology and textures to lower the poly count, this had to be done fast, took me about 3 days to reach this result. Found out that retopology on Topogun and setting quick ID in quixel gave very fast results and can be a great time saver. It was a very challenging project because hololens performance when using AR target tracking is really taking a hit if you put too many details or particles.

This one was some random female character sculpt, pushed it as far as I could but got disappointed with the outcome so I decided to stop and go back to basics. I will to start small now and work on my overall sculpt and anatomy foundation first, before heading to full characters I think

Also released a paint gun asset for the unity store for free (https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#!/content/75672 )

This one is a low poly head I have done of James Harden for a small private adidas projection event in China a while back, I think it only got used for half a second or something

I wanted to have a test in Keyshot also in my free time at work so I just put my old iron man bust in there and did a quick test

And to finish two random things, one is a quick 2D animation I did for fun, based on Fate Stay night 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtaxrQMsfaY

feel free to comment/critic, thank you!
  • Yedp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yedp polycounter lvl 7
    just a quick sketch I did at work after finishing some big project! Finally had time to doodle!

• Yedp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yedp polycounter lvl 7
    Hello, today I tried to train my painting skills as they are seriously lacking, as well as studying lighting on the face, found this picture online and thought it would be a good exercise. Critics and comments are welcome thanks!

• Yedp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yedp polycounter lvl 7
    Nothing much today, just some quick exercise I did while waiting for some feedbacks at work on a project, this is a uniqlo ultra light down jacket in its bag.
    Sculpt on zbrush rendered with maya viewport 2.0  :*

• Yedp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yedp polycounter lvl 7
    Took a long break from 3D lately, trying to stick to basics, started studying a bit of anatomy/sketching on my free time at work.
    Decided to make a head and then started a torso, planning to make more body parts as my study progress.
    Just trying to get the shape/proportions right, muscles are not defined yet.
    Critics/comments are welcome!

• Yedp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yedp polycounter lvl 7
    So I tried to push this sculpt a bit further, still working in dynamesh, I am trying to get the proportions and shape right.
    I feel like something is really off around the pelvis area but I can't tell what, Critics/comments are welcome!
    Thanks!

• Yedp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yedp polycounter lvl 7
    Small post today, been doing some test for a potential project at work, quickly reproduced a ring from the Coco Crush Chanel collection. 
    Basemesh done in Maya, added the "cross" patterns in Zbrush, baked with xnormal and rendered in real time in unity3D with the default post processing effect. Final model is about 10k polygons

• Yedp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yedp polycounter lvl 7
    Hello,
    Latest model I have been working on, hands and feet are placeholder for now just to get an overall idea of the shape.
    I have been trying to work on split body parts in dynamesh, as seen on a cubebrush tutorial.

Overall isn't refined yet, but critics/comments are definitely welcome!

• Yedp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yedp polycounter lvl 7
    Hello, small update on my latest female sculpt, went back and forth on this one, mostly been working on the body.
    I guess I could use other people's fresh eyes to check where the anatomy is wrong, critics are welcome, thanks in advance!

• carvuliero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    carvuliero hero character
    Hey there ,

I like your spartan girl/amazon sketch , you should give her more love maybe even turn it in to 3d
    It's kind of strange to me that your drawings are pretty good but sculpts are lacking way behind and both things are not that different .Its true you can cheat a lot more in 2d but still sculpting is drawing in 3d
    I suggest to hide hair and arms below deltoid(so you still have widest point on the shoulder) and focus on body core and legs ->
    proportion and big forms
    Your model currently have granny proportions : slim legs and bloated torso , also check her rhythm nipple to ankle is straight line , you could add a lot of forms to break this silhouette like costal cartilage, navel/bend crease , mons pubis , high point of rectus femoris , tibialis anterior
    Maybe look for better reference or post the one you currently using if you do
    Keep pushing
  • Yedp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yedp polycounter lvl 7
    Hi carvuliero, thanks for your very detailed critics, I really appreciate you took the time to analyze my sculpt!
    I guess 2d is hiding a lot of my mistakes (mostly when it comes to female anatomy!), I never really managed to work in 3d when it comes to proportions and anatomy, I must not have a good eye for volume sadly  :/
    I have been looking at some ecorche sculptures and photos to try to work on the muscles anatomy mostly.

I will read in details all the suggestions you had and give it a go soon, thanks again!
  • Yedp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yedp polycounter lvl 7
    Hello, didn't finish taking into account all the changes suggestions mentioned above but started working on it and readjusted the overall silhouette a bit, just putting a before/after pictures as an update
    Critics are welcome, thanks!

• carvuliero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    carvuliero hero character
    New version look much better but for some reason side view is still awful
    I was looking for females with big rib cage similar to what you have so you can adjust base on that and end up with this 2 :
    I will suggest for you to start with adjusting depth relation of individual form similar to 3rd image and then and then width of each big form-> high points of rib cage pelvis upper/lower leg

• Yedp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yedp polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks for all the help carvuliero and sorry for late answer 
    I decided to let that last sculpt aside to do a little side project before getting back to it with fresh eyes.
    It is something I had in mind for a little while and I wanted to give it a shot

It is the first time I am trying to make a sword, was planning to retopo this and make a unity asset out of it.
  • Yedp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yedp polycounter lvl 7
    Hello all, I was quite slow on this sword, mostly with unity shader graph and transparency, was pulling my hair out but worked around it.
    Probably a really not optimized shader but at least got to where I wanted somehow, can move on and get back to the previous sculpt with a fresh mind!
    Critics/comments are welcome!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WA4FhLJWWMY

And some beauty shots

• Sweetangel0467
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sweetangel0467 polycounter lvl 10
    That's a mighty fine sword! Glad to see you're still active on Polycount :3
  • Yedp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yedp polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks for the kind words Sweetangel0467!
    I am very slow and have been over-timing at work a lot so I don't release much work, but definitely want to keep improving !

Will definitely take a look at your work too, haven't checked in a while  :'(

Been working on a personal piece lately, hopefully won't take a year to finish haha, work in progress below:

• Yedp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yedp polycounter lvl 7
    I have been trying to learn Arnold.
    Quick work in progress preview below, trying to get the overall grasp of how the shaders are working. 
    Played around with xgen hair system too but need to study it more!
    Lots of work left! Critics, suggestions and comments are welcome, thanks! 

• Yedp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yedp polycounter lvl 7
    Hello everyone, I started working more on the default arnold SSS shader, pretty much focused my effort on the skin.
    not satisfied yet with the skin, there are some weird artefacts in the displacement I need to fix and refine the skin texture as well. 

• Yedp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yedp polycounter lvl 7
    More update on the skin, still a few things off I think, the pores texture is a bit strong, will rework on this, still rendered using Arnold
    Any other comments/critics are welcome, thanks!