Home General Discussion

Visiting a game studio?

This may sound dumb but here's the deal. I'm going over to Poland in September, my brother lives there and we are going to see the beautiful Zakopane mountains. So as he lives in Warzaw i thought that it would be uber-cool if i could visit some of the awesome game studios there, even just to drop my portfolio and CV. I'm very interested about the idea of moving to Poland and getting a game industry job in there. Like from People Can Fly or CDProjectRed *drool*
So the questions are:

- Have you ever visited a game studio? Maybe just to drop cv/portfolio etc..
- PCF are working on the next GoW, so they probably will shoot me on sight, right?
- Do i have any kind of chance of getting inside to the studios, maybe meet some people, ask about jobs, living in poland, throw them with my portfolio..
- How the whole thing usually works in game companies..

I've been in only one game company as visitor.
It was with school class but it was great to meet people and see how the whole thing works there and ask about internships etc..

Replies

• walreu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been invited to visit studios, but would never just dropped by. I would at least call first to inquire about it. Knocking on their door unannounced would probably seem odd and a bit unprofessional. Most studios have some degree of security in place (key fobs, etc) so you wouldn't be able to just walk in anyway.

Oh yeah, i forgot to mention.. of course i would contact them before and ask about the possibility of it :poly136:
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    People are busy - don't just show up. :) You'll get to meet the receptionist and see the lobby - that's about it.

I mean, to drop off a CV/resume, sure, you can drop by and do that. But if you're expecting to talk to someone or get a tour or what not, set it up before hand. It's just courtesy, really.
  • walreu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    People are busy - don't just show up. :) You'll get to meet the receptionist and see the lobby - that's about it.

I mean, to drop off a CV/resume, sure, you can drop by and do that. But if you're expecting to talk to someone or get a tour or what not, set it up before hand. It's just courtesy, really.

Thanks. Any pointers who i should be in contact with? Who deals with this kinda stuff in the game companies?
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    It's pretty unusual, at least in my experience. Most companies are really just offices so there isn't much to visit. Your best bet is to just call the studio number and enquire.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    walreu wrote: »
    Thanks. Any pointers who i should be in contact with? Who deals with this kinda stuff in the game companies?
    That will obviously vary from place to place. A generic response would be that it's likely the office manager or maybe the HR department (or whoever does the hiring). They would be the most likely to set up tours and such.
  • buhtichka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can also confirm, it's not usual for game studios to allow visitors inside. If you want to leave your resume you can do it without calling in advance but it will, probably, be received by the receptionist. they will pass on your resume, but will take a bit more time. If you want to get more attention and ask questions, make sure you e-mail or call and make an appointment with the HR of the studio. It's also not likely that you get to meet any of the production team, but the HR, I'm sure, can answer all your questions.

Good luck!
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    if you want to see anything your best bet is to go to a company that has JUST released something

anyone in prerelease wont probably have time and earlier on wont want to show anything...

post release people are usually a bit more relaxed and have time...plus no massive secrets lying around
  • ericdigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ericdigital polycounter lvl 13
    We've given tours to like close friends or family members kids and stuff like that but I think its rather unusual to just let someone in. People are busy and most offices just don't have that much to see.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Unless invited i doubt they would let you in to see the studio, the reason being is that they would have to probably get an NDA set up for you so you wouldnt mention anything you saw on a visit, that can be a bit of a pain at times.

Who knows i may be wrong ,but its a bit unusual.
  • walreu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 wrote: »
    Unless invited i doubt they would let you in to see the studio, the reason being is that they would have to probably get an NDA set up for you so you wouldnt mention anything you saw on a visit, that can be a bit of a pain at times.

Who knows i may be wrong ,but its a bit unusual.

Most likely. I had to NDA when i was visiting couple of times a small local mobile game company that offered me a possible job.
    So i guess in a big company they would throw it right at you.
  • Mcejn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mcejn polycounter lvl 12
    Yeah, normally people aren't allowed to just show up (unless they're family/etc.) - even to drop off their resume. That's weird, intrusive and can even seem rude to people.

Your best bet would be to call, or email them.

Good luck!

(Small local mobile studios =/= mid/large studio working on console or AAA title)
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    polish CG forum Max3D.pl has occasional meetups in various cities, including warsaw.
    there was supposed to be a big meetup in warsaw this year but it didn't happen yet. i think there was no clear organizer so the event will only happen once some people take up the shitty task of organizing it.

i recall there are few guys from CD Projekt and People Can Fly on that forum, so it's possible that they also appear on meetups. this could be your chance to talk to them. or if not them then maybe some guys from smaller studios.
  • walreu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid wrote: »
    polish CG forum Max3D.pl has occasional meetups in various cities, including warsaw.
    there was supposed to be a big meetup in warsaw this year but it didn't happen yet. i think there was no clear organizer so the event will only happen once some people take up the shitty task of organizing it.

i recall there are few guys from CD Projekt and People Can Fly on that forum, so it's possible that they also appear on meetups. this could be your chance to talk to them. or if not them then maybe some guys from smaller studios.

Whoa, thanks for the tip! I'll check that out. (and thanks for everyone else for the feedback too)
    I met this one CDPR artist at Nordic Game so i could ask from him too about possible meetups and other stuff..
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    To be honest I don't think the average studio will want to bother putting time in some random visitor. I personally wouldn't like to see random people getting tours around my workplace; it's just an office where people work, not some tourist attraction.
    The only people that ever get shown around here are publisher/business big shots and the rare journalist.
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    personally I would love to introduce student to production environment and do some Q&A about it. it just finding time and company permission is not easy. and yea lots of NDA stuff . so it is almost impossible to be shared to anyone ...

I can understand why some employee who volunteered to give me and my classmate seems so hurry back then ( when I was in college)...
  • walreu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul wrote: »
    To be honest I don't think the average studio will want to bother putting time in some random visitor. I personally wouldn't like to see random people getting tours around my workplace; it's just an office where people work, not some tourist attraction.
    The only people that ever get shown around here are publisher/business big shots and the rare journalist.

Well getting a tour isn't the thing that i would want but just to meet someone like company recruiter/HR/someone in person there and give them my portfolio/CV. I don't expect them to treat me like i'm the prince of finland or anything..

edit:
    And do game companies really consider other game industry artists, wanting to work for them, and meet as "random visitors" or "tourists"?
  • Mcejn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mcejn polycounter lvl 12
    You should understand that those people aren't usually there to greet random guests. Showing up unannounced just seems awkward. 9/10 HR people will tell you the same thing: "Here's my card, send me an email. Thanks."

It's not likely that they're going to be assholes about it, but everything you want can be done through email. These people are busy and it's not their job to tend to random people who walk in, wanting a job or networking.

That said, you should still shoot them an email and ask about meeting face to face. Or just to get in contact.
  • walreu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, im going to send some emails really soon. I'll post later when i get replies how it went..
    I always prefer meeting people face to face rather than email, so that is the one thing why i would like this to work out.
    Also it would be huge motivation boost to work on portfolio if i could get green light to meet someone in there.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Well getting a tour isn't the thing that i would want but just to meet someone like company recruiter/HR/someone in person there and give them my portfolio/CV. I don't expect them to treat me like i'm the prince of finland or anything..

edit:
    And do game companies really consider other game industry artists, wanting to work for them, and meet as "random visitors" or "tourists"?

You have to understand that game companies get tons of applications, the large majority of those isn't even worth a second look at their portfolio. The number 1 requirement for letting someone come to the studio and talk about employment, is that their portfolio is deemed adequate (apart from actually having a job opening).
    I haven't looked at your portfolio so I'm not saying you are inadequate or something, but I hope you understand what I mean. People's time at the company is valuable, so there has to be a barrier for entry, otherwise any self-proclaimed artist could come over and have a chat.

That said, nothing is stopping you from having an informal lunch outside of work hours with people from a company: people have gotten their job like that before. Just don't be awkward about it I guess.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Send em an email first to ask, with a portfolio link and CV, I'm sure if they can be accomodating they will be. Try to go on a Friday, maybe they'll invite you along for a session after :)
  • Drav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drav polycounter lvl 9
    Arrive with a pizza and ask for Boris. Youll get in every time....
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Dose anyone know any studios at all that allow the public in there building unless its a special event? Because I cant think of any. I doubt most studios would even let other industry professionals just come into the studio because they wanted to check it out or meet other artists there let alone someone trying to get a job.

I mean hey I would like to tour Blizzards campus because from the pictures I have seen it looks absolutely beautiful but if im not interviewing there or have a friend there to let me come to the studio chances my charming good looks wont get me past the front door :)

Just because people sign an NDA saying they wont say anything dosnt mean they are actually going to hold up to that. You could be someone from IGN or something just looking for a scoop on the next game for all they know.

Also artists or HR having to talk to people coming to the studio takes time out of there day from doing what there suppose too, there job making a video game!
  • walreu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That said, nothing is stopping you from having an informal lunch outside of work hours with people from a company: people have gotten their job like that before. Just don't be awkward about it I guess.

That would be more than awesome.
    Arrive with a pizza and ask for Boris. Youll get in every time....
    I'm not sure if i even got that joke, but it made me laugh hard :poly136:
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    I've visited a ton of studios while on vacations. 38 Studios, Ironlore, Vicarious Visions, the film place that made Iron Sky (the nazi moon movie) from Finland, CCP (which turned into a job), Splash Damage, a small studio in Switzerland, and I'm probably forgetting a few.

My technique: Find someone who works in your discipline for the studio on linkedin, and email them saying you'll be in town and would be really cool to meet a fellow game developer. I know it helps that because of my website many times these people already know of me or my tutorials, but I think it could work with even a beginner with a decent portfolio. Most of us game developers enjoy making friends and meeting other dedicated developers of our discipline.

I've never asked for a tour of the studios, that's always been the other person volunteering. Mainly I wanted to meet up with the people much more than I wanted to see the interior of a studio, but often times people are proud of where they work, or think it'd be a good idea for you to meet other developers right after work or for a lunch break.
  • Mcejn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mcejn polycounter lvl 12
    Also it would be huge motivation boost to work on portfolio if i could get green light to meet someone in there.

That's a dangerous attitude to have.

Normally people will have built up a strong/competitive portfolio before trying to meet a recruiter or HR employee in person. A portfolio that usually caters toward the studio or style of game they'd like to work on.

Showing up with an underwhelming portfolio and expecting to get an opportunity at a studio like PeopleCanFly or CDProjectRed can set you up for dissapointment. Worst case scenario, it leaves a bad first impression.

However, having those points of contact so that when you do improve and try again can be beneficial in some way. Being able to put a face to a name can go some way, but you've got to be able to produce.
  • walreu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've visited a ton of studios while on vacations. 38 Studios, Ironlore, Vicarious Visions, the film place that made Iron Sky (the nazi moon movie) from Finland, CCP (which turned into a job), Splash Damage, a small studio in Switzerland, and I'm probably forgetting a few.

My technique: Find someone who works in your discipline for the studio on linkedin, and email them saying you'll be in town and would be really cool to meet a fellow game developer. I know it helps that because of my website many times these people already know of me or my tutorials, but I think it could work with even a beginner with a decent portfolio. Most of us game developers enjoy making friends and meeting other dedicated developers of our discipline.

I've never asked for a tour of the studios, that's always been the other person volunteering. Mainly I wanted to meet up with the people much more than I wanted to see the interior of a studio, but often times people are proud of where they work, or think it'd be a good idea for you to meet other developers right after work or for a lunch break.

Wow, thanks! This really gave hope for me and is 100% what i was trying to say all the time.
    That im more into meeting people than getting a tour or something.. :)
    I already contacted the one artist from CDPR in LinkedIn about it.
    That's a dangerous attitude to have.

Wait what? For wanting to work harder on my portfolio and to prove my skills and wanting to work for them?
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    i think the point is,
    if you want to work harder then simply do it, regardless of getting or not getting green light to meet devs. this way even if you don't meet anyone your portfolio will still get better and increase your chances in future.

you don't know when or where you'll end up meeting some game devs and getting opportunities. so why not make sure that no matter when you meet them, you can always show them a portfolio that displays 100% of your abilities.
  • walreu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was in a interview yesterday and the guys there said i should visit another game studio near by (they wanted me to take everything out of the 400km car ride i did for coming there), so i called there and they were all really nice. I wrote NDA and then we talked about portfolios, little bit this and that and they even let me try their yet to be announced upcoming game. So at least here in Finland visiting studios works in some extent. Sadly there was another cool game studio in the same building but didn't have time to go there..

I'll be in Poland next week! I'll post if something similar happens there..
  • BlvdNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights polycounter lvl 8
    Only time I've ever seen anyone at our studio were press coming to film, and we had to cover up all the unannounced projects on the wall. I just dont see how it would be good for a studio, unless they have massive down time a few days after shipping, to let people in to tour. Also it would probably be very short depending on the office size.
  • CoffeeBoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CoffeeBoy polycounter lvl 9
    I've only visited one game studio, and I have to say it was pretty cool. My advice: smooth talk your way in. Be the nice guy. Explain how excited you are to see the studio and they may let you into the lobby at the very least.
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    I'll join along with what ben said. Its best you make friends or contact with an individual there first. some sorta connection. It helps if you have a name in the biz already.

I can recall a few times some random stranger has shown up at the door to drop off a resume and want to check out the building. it was creepy and they were denied. Its like asking a girl for butt sex after shaking her hand for the first time. well, maybe not, but you don't want to turn into "that guy" for the devs to joke about so setting up a more professional connection is best. also.. don't show up in a suit or tie.
  • Gardini
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gardini polycounter lvl 13
    This guy is priceless looool :thumbup:
    oobersli wrote: »
    I'll join along with what ben said. Its best you make friends or contact with an individual there first. some sorta connection. It helps if you have a name in the biz already.

I can recall a few times some random stranger has shown up at the door to drop off a resume and want to check out the building. it was creepy and they were denied. Its like asking a girl for butt sex after shaking her hand for the first time. well, maybe not, but you don't want to turn into "that guy" for the devs to joke about so setting up a more professional connection is best. also.. don't show up in a suit or tie.