Home General Discussion

I made an FPS game -- Receiver

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
Last week we finished a game for the 7DFPS, and I think it's pretty good. Here are some videos of it:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCThInmzjXw"]Receiver Game Mechanics Overview - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmqterXyc-w"]Receiver launch trailer - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGFlU4jftZQ"]Receiver Art Asset Overview - YouTube[/ame]

Replies

• Joseph Silverman
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Saw all this stuff the day of release. Looks very good, congrats on all the media coverage, I'll probably give it a buy -- but why the hell are you guys charging for a game jam game?

I get that you dudes have to eat and its definitely great work, but kindof against the whole culture of game jams.
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    A demo would be nice, $5 isn't bad though.
  • Ninjas
    Offline / Send Message
    Saw all this stuff the day of release. Looks very good, congrats on all the media coverage, I'll probably give it a buy -- but why the hell are you guys charging for a game jam game?

I get that you dudes have to eat and its definitely great work, but kindof against the whole culture of game jams.

The existing culture of game jams is not healthy for indie developers since they need to make money if they want to continue making high quality games.

Clearly we are trying to change the culture that expects that even if you bust your ass and work insane hours to make something awesome you shouldn't charge for it.

Also, we did give the game away for free to everyone who preordered Ovegrowth.
  • eld
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18

That's not true, there's nothing in jams that prevents it, nor is it seen as cheap in any way, if it's good enough people will pay for it.
    You'll coincidentally find a ton of jam or compo games on kongregate.

And if his highness the king of sweden approves, so do I:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5siVoOYfEY"]Receiver Gameplay - Tutorial / Guide Mechanics "Commentary" - YouTube[/ame]
  • bounchfx
    really awesome job guys, I love the new ideas going into it. The idea of managing your weapon instead of having it constantly auto pilot is really intriguing, can't wait to try it.

also dug the whole 'tap fast to spring fast'. sounds like something that would be at home in Amnesia as well.
  • ScottP
    Offline / Send Message
    ScottP polycounter lvl 10
    Looks cool, but wishing it had a arm and hand holding the gun, the floating weapon makes it feel really alpha to me.
  • 3devo
    Offline / Send Message
    3devo polycounter lvl 12
    took awhile to get the mechanics of the gun/interface in my head but its pretty fun for such a short dev time. congratz. also protip check the chamber after you load the gun. nothing like dying coz chambers empty or weapons jammed. i expect ill be playing this for a while.
  • Ninjas
    Offline / Send Message
    ScottPetty wrote: »
    Looks cool, but wishing it had a arm and hand holding the gun, the floating weapon makes it feel really alpha to me.

We decided to focus on complex, realistic gunplay instead of arms. I personally think that is more important in a shooter, but it's obviously a matter of taste.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Ninjas wrote: »
    The existing culture of game jams is not healthy for indie developers since they need to make money if they want to continue making high quality games.

Clearly we are trying to change the culture that expects that even if you bust your ass and work insane hours to make something awesome you shouldn't charge for it.

Cool, thanks for sharing your reasoning! Imo (as a guy whos never finished a game) I still think its against the spirit of these jams -- monetizing on a portal is different from charging your players, and the culture of 7drl and ld has generally been about propagation of ideas and demos, not making a profit of your time -- but I definitely respect your choice! Will probably be buying your game sometime when i have spare cash laying around.
  • Slum
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    I'm glad you didn't include arms. One of my favorite parts about the aiming system is that you can move the gun in the view space without moving the entire view, which is more realistic. I don't think I'd want to see arms blocking the view the whole time. In a typical game this wouldn't be a problem because the arms are locked to the bottom half of the screen.
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah, but maybe having the gun and clip closer to the screen would have made the omission less obvious. Or have transparent arms or something. Still, interesting concept!
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Who did the music?
  • Ninjas
    Offline / Send Message
  • innervision961
    Man, this is so cool. I have been eyeballin' overgrowth for a while and this is just making it almost unbearable. :poly122:
  • Ben Apuna
    Really impressive work. Interesting game mechanics for dealing with the gun and running. I really appreciate the art asset overview and love the art direction. It's a shame you couldn't use the mid-ground city model as it's really quite beautiful.
  • Mask_Salesman
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    Hey I saw this on the OG blog, I've gone off fps over the last couple years but you guys have added an interesting take to the genre enough to want me to play it :D

Great job in such a short time, I'd definitely like to see more short concept games about. I think if every studio large and small took the miniscule time to join one of these jams if only once a year, we could see some great leaps forward in games.

I really digged the "Armed & Dangerous" - razor hydra motion controls. Time crisis should have been all over that shizzle along time ago.
  • Thermidor
    Offline / Send Message
    Thermidor polycounter lvl 18
    Really love this!

Saw it at lunch, downloaded as soon as i got home, well worth the cash.

Its got a really nice fresh/raw feel to it, like playing a pc game from the 90s.

Its one of those that has a lot of promise, a story, some UI and key options and a load of game content and its a big hit. Which is more than can be said for many many games that actually make it out there as AAAs.

Great work as far as im concerned.
  • Ninjas
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys! I think we may get some updates in eventually, and hopefully we will get that city asset in :)
  • SHEPEIRO
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    cool.
    i love the aesthetic...wish more games would use the power of new computers to throw simple shaded and lit polys around... think i would have thrown a bevel/chamfer on everything environment side, was there a reason no to?
  • Ninjas
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO wrote: »
    cool.
    i love the aesthetic...wish more games would use the power of new computers to throw simple shaded and lit polys around... think i would have thrown a bevel/chamfer on everything environment side, was there a reason no to?

No, I was planning to do that (I agree that it would add a lot), but basically ran out of time. I had a few false starts with the environment assets while I tried to figure out how to make it modular.

I would like to go back and redo a lot of the environment stuff.
  • _Shimmer
    Offline / Send Message
    _Shimmer polycounter lvl 18
    Been following you guys for a long time and this since the first trailers came out.

super interesting, impressively well done for 7 days of work.

Looking forward to more stuff that is not bunnies. was super intersting to see you tackle the fps genre. keep up the good work
  • Ninjas
    Offline / Send Message
    Ganemi wrote: »
    What about the other enemies that didn't make it in? Are you guys going to include them in the future?

That is up to David, but it would be great to see the other enemies in the game.