Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Renault FT

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
mystichobo polycounter lvl 12
The last couple of weeks I've been on track with rolling out this model.

FT3.jpg

Currently about 80% done on the highpoly, still have a lot of details to do around the engine bay/ front entrance doors (damn hinges to hell, thankfully I should be able to reuse a lot of them).

Tanks in advance for any feedback,
Hobo

Replies

• Darkleopard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Do you have some reference images? It looks a little short to me but im not sure what kind your trying to model. Some ref images would go a long way to help everyone who has a look :)
  • mystichobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Do you have some reference images? It looks a little short to me but im not sure what kind your trying to model. Some ref images would go a long way to help everyone who has a look :)

Fair enough, as the title says, it's a Renault FT tank, from WW1.

for reference:
    FT-17-argonne-1918.gif

(I have about 150 other images of it saved that I'm actually using for reference - this is probably just a good stereotypical example of the tank itself :) )
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    I love this little thing! It's amazing how it was in service in both WW1 and WW2.
    Looks good, proportions look correct. You have made some details a bit small, as well as some edges that too tight, might consider scaling those up.
  • mystichobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul wrote: »
    I love this little thing! It's amazing how it was in service in both WW1 and WW2.
    Looks good, proportions look correct. You have made some details a bit small, as well as some edges that too tight, might consider scaling those up.

Thanks guys for the comments, I've loosened a heap of the edges, I may need to go further yet though, but it's not hard to do, and I'll see how it goes when I bake.

Anywho, I think I'm finished with the highpoly!
    FTFINALCOMPILE.jpg
  • Ravanna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    your puns are bad and you should feel bad!

Beautiful work, but surely you're going to have a bad time baking that!
  • Maginnis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maginnis polycounter lvl 18
    Looks killer, you really nailed the weight of the bits and pieces down.
  • mystichobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Maginnis: Thanks!
    Ravanna wrote: »
    your puns are bad and you should feel bad!

Beautiful work, but surely you're going to have a bad time baking that!

Hah, someone noticed the puns!
    I don't think the bake will be too bad, the worst bit will be the little bits in the suspension I think.

On that note, here's my first bit of the lowpoly, the turret :)
    firsttestbake.jpg
  • maxivz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maxivz interpolator
    THis looks amaizing, as a tank fan i approve :P
  • mystichobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maxivz wrote: »
    THis looks amaizing, as a tank fan i approve :P

Thankyou ser!

I think I'm done with the main lowpoly hull, going to start work on the wheels and tracks tomorrow, and then the tail.
    lphullcomptb.jpg
  • mystichobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    After a huge week, I've finally got the lowpoly all done and baked down!

lowpolyfinal.jpg

Going to start texturing tonight :)
  • mystichobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bumpy bump!

Started on the texture, I'm pretty happy with it so far, a few things I want to tweak, but it's getting there:
    tanktex1.jpg

EDIT:
    Had a quick play around with colours - which do you prefer?
    tanktex2.jpg
  • mystichobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Woohoo 4th post in a row without any comments!

Decided to stick with the second version, this is what I've ended up with:
    RenaultFTLowpolytextures.jpg

FTComplowpolywires.jpg
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    It's coming along there, I'd say it needs some more wear, like worn paint along the edges of the panels, and around the bolts, and a lot more around that front part (not sure what to call it) Keep it up.
  • Geledonutt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice little tank there man! It feels very clean, fresh off the factory line clean. Maybe do a battle worn greasy version? The tracks also feel bit flat, but it's hard to do anything about that I suppose even compared to the real life version. Mud may help it sell some depth.

Overall an great piece so far! post wires and flats!
  • TrampledUnderFoot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TrampledUnderFoot polycounter lvl 7
    Definitely needs some more mud and grease!

Glad you changed the color scheme, the first one looked a little funky to me.

Look forward to the scene if you decide to do one :)
  • mystichobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @aajohnny: Thanks, Yeah, I've done a bit of preliminary wear, just got to tone it up a notch I think, I don't want to go too overboard, but I also don't want it to seem too new.

@Geledonutt: Cheers! The plan is to wear it up a bit, which should be fun :D The tracks are a bitch to get working with any sort of detail, while still making them animatable, I'm quite happy with the sort of middle ground I've reached with them (waaaay more detailed than the world of tanks ones anyway :P). I'll post flats and wires tomorrow after I've done a bit more work on it I think :)

@TrampledUnderFoot: What! you don't like this amazing color scheme?
    ft17-01.jpg
    I'm not really sure what I want to do with the scene, I have some nice low res references of one of these cruising down a street in a town that might e fun to replicate.
  • mystichobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gilberto3 wrote: »
    bumb ubm!www.cleaningcassette.com

Thanks random spambot!

I gave that bitch some mud, wear and oil, bitches love mud, wear and oil
    tanktex4.jpg

tanktex5.jpg
  • mystichobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bampy Bump for a breakdown in the first post!
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Could still use some work.

-Textures still look clean. World War 1 was a muddy, dirty, drawn out war. You've got a chance to represent that here.
    -Material definition needs some work. Push the spec in some places, use gloss to full effect so that materials are distinctly different. I feel like your rust (exhaust) doesn't read that well yet (probably just diffuse though), metal chipping isn't too obvious, some sheen to the paint to contrast more with the dirt, etc...
    -I suggest you get some complementary color in there, it's quite green now, and I feel there aren't enough warm tones. Some more of this in the rust/dirt would be good, same for the logo.
    -Actually logo could be improved: make the Spade red instead of black(screw accuracy to the ref, just make it look awesome). Also perhaps add some markings here and there; I've seen "Le Tigre" (the tiger) inscribed on some, just invent your own.
  • mystichobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

-Textures still look clean. World War 1 was a muddy, dirty, drawn out war. You've got a chance to represent that here.

Aye, I've fixed a couple of areas that were noticeably clean, I really don't want to go too overboard with it though, I'm planning to eventually put it in a town scene (have a nice ref of one on a bridge). It also travels at an incredible slow rate (4miles an hour woo!), so you wouldn't get as much of a splatter effect from the tracks on everything. The most dirt buildup I have in my refs is on the sideboard thing, and if I'm going to replicate that, I'll probably do it in geometry, could possibly try and do animate something procedurally where it builds up depending on the material it's driven on, but I'm not sure yet

-Material definition needs some work. Push the spec in some places, use gloss to full effect so that materials are distinctly different. I feel like your rust (exhaust) doesn't read that well yet (probably just diffuse though), metal chipping isn't too obvious, some sheen to the paint to contrast more with the dirt, etc...
    -I suggest you get some complementary color in there, it's quite green now, and I feel there aren't enough warm tones. Some more of this in the rust/dirt would be good, same for the logo.
    -Actually logo could be improved: make the Spade red instead of black(screw accuracy to the ref, just make it look awesome). Also perhaps add some markings here and there; I've seen "Le Tigre" (the tiger) inscribed on some, just invent your own.

I've tried to fix most of this too, fixed a heap of stuff the spec and gloss maps. The Red spades was a great idea (and red was one of the marking schemes, so it is accurate-ish).
    I was thinking of doing the tail art (the le tigre) thing, but I'm not really sure how to work it in with the mirrored uvs, I thought of using an overlaid plane with an alpha, but all my tests of that looked rather shoddy where it sat with the tank's wear, almost like it was a sticker over the surface.

Anyway, enough rambling, more pics:
    FTComplowpolytex1.jpg
    texturebreakdown.jpg
  • mystichobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tiny bump, was feeling a bit inspired this morning and decided to go over the texturesa bit. In the process I decided to have a bit of a play around with the color scheme a bit, as I felt my final was a bit flat.

Anyway, here is what I came up with, which ones do you like best?
    cCjGM.jpg

Personally I'm quite fond of 1, 3 and 6
  • l.croxton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1 Looks pretty awesome :P.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Id say 3.

It could really use some grease at any point where there are moving parts. Rust at any point where two parts come together, and rivets/bolts. build up of soot from the exhaust from the engine, and its run off from rain dripping it down the surface.
  • mystichobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers guys, added a bit more grunge, and tried combining 1 and 3 (as much as I like 3, it's very monochromic)
    X1gX2.jpg
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    lookin dope, i bet you could push the material definition in the texture even further, and itd be nice to see some nice big details
  • mystichobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Polycount!
    It's been a while but I decided to come back to this and polish the textures a bit, I ended up going with a blue colour scheme (as it came out of the factory) after a quick poll on twitter :)

FTComplowpolytex_rework1.jpg
    texturebreakdown.jpg