Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hand Painted Grass looking for feedback

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
This is officially my first finished hand painted texture.

I'm looking for any kind of feedback or critiques you can give me. I want to improve! :)

For those that are curious I followed the workflow of the grass tutorial by Jeff Parrott. http://vimeo.com/38844355

Thanks.

Tgf1r.jpg

Replies

• MindOfNash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey man, congrats on finishing your first hand painted texture! I'm diggin the grass, and I think you're off to a good start. I did a small paint over to show you some things you could push.

Tgf1rcopy.jpg

I think your grass is really just lacking contrast, you could use some more intense highlights and darken some of the areas between the upper blades to create some depth.

You might also consider doing a couple blade variations to place around. I know Jeff only uses one blade, and if you want to do that then I think you should go with a less squigly blade, because you are getting somewhat of a tentacle or vine looking effect.

But yea man keep it up, definitely sweet for your first texture, lookin forward to seeing more! :D
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks MindOfNash for the paint over and suggestions! Your points are well taken!