Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Highpoly Kriss Super Vector

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
BenHenry polycounter lvl 11
Hey guys,
I've been forcing myself to learn how to highpoly model recently, and decided to take upon a project...
I've chosen the Kriss Super Vector, and here is what I have so far. I spent about 3 hours on this, working on more as you read this.
Refs:
CaSR
Current model progress:
Cb23
I feel like a few of my edges are a bit sharp (for baking), but I want to get your opinion before I do anything.

Replies

• BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not a bunch of progress, but...
    CeA6
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    Looking good. Do you know how/if you will bake out the little rail bits?
  • FractaL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I second what Computron said, I'm curious as to how you'll bake that rail out.

How low poly will your low-poly be too?
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    still thinking about that one... My low poly we hopefully be under 6000-8000 tris.
    I usually can optimize pretty well, so it will probably be less than that.
    I'm modeling out the holographic sights now.
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Almost finished the sights!CfnP
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I forgot about the side screws.
    CfwV
  • Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Id love to see the wires for that front hole thingy, i have allways had problems with that shape :P
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calling it good for tonight. More tomorrow.
    CtUM
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just got to make the ironsights, magazine, and a few little things and then it will be done.
    CISZ
  • Pancakes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pancakes polycounter lvl 10
    looks wonderful, man
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks!
    I'm trying to find some pictures of the ironsights, but am not having much luck. Anyone got any?
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Done for tonight. Added ironsights, hinge for folding stock. Crappy magazine, a round. And a few little things here and there. Tomorrow I start on the lowpoly.
    CKUU
    CKWX
    BUUUULLLLLLLLLLLLLLLET
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not really getting any feedback. Am I on the right track? crits? suggestions?
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Looks good to me, I imagine you'll get more comments when the lowpoly is up since there are more things to discuss there. As long as the high poly looks good (which yours does) it's usually golden.
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Going to start on the lowpoly. Ready to get going on that sucker!CYNk
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    you're unfortunately at an intermediary skill level, and around here that means you won't get any feedback. newbies get basic instructions, good artists get blind praise, and everyone stuck in the middle is doomed to an eternity of non-progression...

UNTIL NOW. ~~~explosion sound effect here~~~

since i'm just sitting here sniping ebay auctions for arcade PCBs, i guess i'll help you out. congrats: the model seems accurate enough, so your main problems are the usual edge thickness and non-committal angles/curves.

edge thickness is simple: give each material a nice fat edge bevel with an appropriate width, and keep it consistent. what do i mean per material? well, metals will get a thinner highlight than plastics. no, this does NOT mean either should get sharp highlights, nor should they get soft ones; just that plastics should get a wider edge bevel than metals, they should be nice and fat all around. you can just tell when a model has a good edge treatment at a glance, since it catches much more light in all the right places, they look great in bakes and in untextured renders.

the most important thing right now is to even them out. the holosight looks really blobby but the sights are super thin, and they're right next to each other! go all around the gun and try to make each edge of the metals an equal width, then do the same for the plastics.

next, if you want to take it one step further, try to eliminate the softness. it should only take 30 minutes tops to add in some extra geo which is very worth it. here's an image with a traditional "soft" edge cube, and on the right one with some extra geo to control the edges better. each cube is on 3x subdivision.

softpretzels.jpg

notice the highlight falloff? the left one (regular subd cube) makes the model feel amateurish--so you want the right one in most situations.

you also have a few curves that don't look too solid, like you don't have enough loops to end the curve so they just slowly slope off. you have quite a number of these so they're worth addressing. example: you have the left, you want the right:

noncommit.jpg

also clean up the messy geo on the stock by the hinge, it's nasty.

hope this helps
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the info, I've been having troubles with the geo in the back so I just said whatever. I'm going to re-do it now that you notice it. this is my current GEO for the back:
    CZmZ

I know it's pretty bad, and I just found an ngon and a triangle as I'm looking at it... But I'm just going to start from scratch. Plus, there is supposed to be a hinge on the other side which I couldn't fit the geo in correctly for the life of me, so I made it float.
    CZoi

I got one of my friends who has a nice camera and a Kriss Super V to help me by taking some pics of it. Here is a pic of the hinge/stock conversion.
    CZMH
    And I realized that I'm stuck with 2 triangles...ugh. Should I go into detail and try to model the hole there with the question mark? I was thinking about just doing that in the texture, but idk.

As for the tightening up of the geometry corners, I have difficulty doing that because some of my loops might be directed wrong and most of the time I cant fix the other areas it messed up.
    Here is a wireframe screen grab:
    CZEC
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    i think you're worrying too much about keeping all quads. you don't need to; with subd it's pretty much whatever looks good. i don't think you need to NEED to redo it, i think the shape just needs a few more loops to help the shape stand. just take a chill and concentrate on making the loops flow with the natural design curves.