Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

A piece of jungle!!!

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
lucashug polycounter lvl 6
Hello there!!!
Here a new mini fast personal challenge :)
I would like to do it in one week but I have to save the world from Diablo :)
I think it will took some more time :D

My plan is to do a little scene in UDK, Will probably add some fireflies,...
I start it last week with that :

Concept-001.jpg

Concept-002.jpg

001.jpg

And now I just finish the mesh :

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

Hope you like it :)
Cheers

Lucas

Replies

• Visceral
    Fantastic job man, cant wait for textures.I love the foilage and the shadows looks great. Im assuming the last shots are taken in UDK?
    Anyhow my only crit is that the top of the tree looks a bit flat and weird. But i assume this wont be a problem since the main focus of the scene will be shots from the ground up into the leafwork and maybe keeping the focus on the Buddhist statues on the ground.
    Also at this stage the rocks (boulders) look a bit, smooth and undefined. Is that intentional or are they just placeholders?
  • Clark Coots
    Offline / Send Message
    Clark Coots polycounter lvl 12
    looking awesome. love the tree!
  • dralex789
    Offline / Send Message
    dralex789 polycounter lvl 7
    Coming along well. what are you plans for the rocks? The reference you pulled had some interesting shape/terrain interaction but the ones in your scene are quite different?

Alex
  • lucashug
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello!!!

Hello Visceral!!! Thank you very much for your comment! You're right I will definitely change the The shape of the rock!!! Will probably do the texture then adapting the mesh to the texture :) I plan to do a tileable textures for the rocks :)EDIT* : And It's just a screenshot from my max viewport :)

Thanks a lot Coots7, really appreciate your comment :)

Hi Dralex789, thanks :) and yes I will definitely change the shape of the rocks :)EDIT* : My plan for the rock are smaller rocks than the references, just pieces, but the shapes and textures will be the same as the references :)They will be more integrated to the floor as the little one in the references :)

Thanks a lots for your comments :):):)
    Cheers
    Lucas
  • lucashug
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello!
    Here the rocks updates :)
    I change the general form and add a rock.
    I will probably change them again when I will have the texture done :)

008.jpg

009.jpg

Cheers
    Lucas
  • Saigo
    Really good start. I Love the lighting and shadows so far, and foliage in general. The tree kinda looks flat from the top though. Also the idea of having a statue head between the roots of the tree is awesome, I like how it looks on your references and in your sculpt.
    Are you going to sculpt the rocks and the tree?
    Anyway, keep up the good work.
  • [Deleted User]
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 9
    looks like the naughty dog art test
  • Visceral
    I like the rocks better allready! Keep it coming :D
  • cmtanko
    Offline / Send Message
    cmtanko polycounter lvl 10
    awesome work , subscribed... :) ,... will be waiting for the next post ;)
  • lucashug
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello Guys!!!
    Thanks a lot for your comments :)
    I just feel something bad about the composition of the scene!
    And I have that (the left is the original, the right is the new one) :

010.jpg

I prefer the one on the right, but it feels so empty under the tree then I do this paintover (the dark spot is the Buddha body) :

012.jpg

Hope you like it!!!
    Cheers
  • lucashug
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello!
    Because some people like the light, I made a little tutorial to have the same light in the max viewport!!! If you have any questions, I'm here :)
    EDIT* : Just add something (A bis), without that it doesn't work :) cheers!!!

Tutorial-light.jpg

Hope that can help!
    Cheers
    Lucas
  • lucashug
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello there!
    Here the new model with the Buddha body (greybox),
    and the new set dressing :)

013.jpg

Cheers
    Lucas
  • salman_fas
    this reminds me of Naught Dog's texture test.

Looking forward to see the textures.
  • solar
    Offline / Send Message
    solar polycounter lvl 18
    Beautiful work! Can't wait to see more, and nice job on the tutorial! :D
  • Tobbo
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    Great stuff. I'm really digging it.
  • Rednaz
    O god.. amazing o.O textures please :D
  • Seaseme
    Offline / Send Message
    Seaseme polycounter lvl 8
    This looks nice. I love the maquette style you've been working toward. Right now, un-textured, it really reminds me of the Naughty Dog Environment Texture Artist test.
  • lucashug
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello!!!
    here an update, I didn't have a lots of time to work on :(

015.jpg

016.jpg

Cheers,
    Lucas
  • l.croxton
    I like the diversion from the "Naughty Dog art test" :P.

Budda looks pretty cool but it looks brand new, not sure if thats what you are going for? I can see that from the reference pictures it looks kinda the same; although this one looks more polished I would personally maybe add some moss around it and dirty-it-up a bit. I think it would be kinda cool if the budda had a sort of "once you see it you will shit bricks" kinda vibe.

If it is a not to be named art test I know they go with what looks best and not what is real world accurate :P.
  • lucashug
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello there!!!

Hi l.croxton, Thanks for your comment, but that was just the high poly, rendered in zbrush.

And there a look of the diffuse textures (88.13% handpainting ;) ) :

017.jpg

Cheers,
    Lucas
  • Macattackk
    Offline / Send Message
    Macattackk polycounter lvl 7
    Looks great, if you had a few stray leaves sticking out of the canopy of the tree so its not so flat, it would make it look a little more natural.
  • NoChance
    This looks so much like the Naughty Dog Art Test right down to some of the wireframes for the rocks and plants...
  • lucashug
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello there!!!
    I want to be clear, I made 100% of the work that I show in this thread.
    It can have some similarity with the naughty dog art test, but it have nothing to do with that. I hope that clarify the situation :):):)

cheers,
    Lucas
  • lucashug
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello!
    here the tileable mesh that I did for the rock texture :)

014.jpg

Cheers
    Lucas
  • lucashug
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello there!!!

Here a scene that I finish! I used udk, photoshop, 3dsmax and zbrush! 80% of the textures are handpainted, but the background :)

A tree in the middle of a lake in Thailand. A place where monks could meditate, alone. It's a spiritual place who was forgotten and not yet discovered.

I make this scene to improve my skills creating an organic environment. I took the opportunity to practice making tileable textures starting with sculpting them in zbrush.

Here a little video of it :
    https://vimeo.com/54286785

And here the pictures :

01-concept.jpg

02-moodboard.jpg

03_beautyshot.jpg

04_beautyshot.jpg

05_beautyshot.jpg

06_beautyshot.jpg

07_beautyshot.jpg

08_beautyshot.jpg

09_beautyshot.jpg

10_beautyshot.jpg

11_beautyshot.jpg

12_udkpreviews.jpg

13_unlit.jpg

Hope you like it!
    Cheers
    Lucas
  • lucashug
    Offline / Send Message
    And the zbrush models :)
    14_zbrushsculpts.jpg

15_zbrushsculpts.jpg
  • MisterSande
    Offline / Send Message
    MisterSande polycounter lvl 8
    looks sweet man! the only advice I would have to nitpick on is the zbrush maps lack of micro detail to give it a more varied look. Than again, the result is fantastic and that is what counts. Congratz on the Naughty Dogs test :D
  • Mr Smo
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Smo polycounter lvl 18
    this came out awesome, nice and juicy and atmospheric. great work mate!
  • rambooze
    Offline / Send Message
    rambooze polycounter lvl 7
    Very nice! I always try to ask myself - Do I want to play a game with this environment? And in your case I want :) Good job.
  • vemadesign
    Offline / Send Message
    vemadesign polycounter lvl 12
    Hey, this looks really nice. Is your background an image or did you make some low poly geo for it?
  • l.croxton
    Hey I completely forgot I commented on this. I have to say this looks amazing, congrats on this. The only crit I could give would be dirt lacks any depth, so the stones and pebbles dont feel like they pop out enough.

Actually looking at it again, I am not sure if you have inverted normals but the shadows are showing in the wrong way. The budda's normals are fine but the mud/dirt/pebbles are upside down.
  • lucashug
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello guys!!!
    Thanks a lot for all your comments, I really appreciate it :)

Hey vemadesign, I create all the back ground with billboards like in the following screenshot. I wanted to test this technique, but in the next scene I will do I will made lowpoly 3d meshes :)

053.jpg

And l.croxton, I was worried but the normal look fine. I probably put to much bounce or environment light or a light that I put to light the buddha's head on the dark light weird on the shadow part.

052.jpg

Thanks again guys!!!
    Cheers
    Lucas
  • JordanW
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    Great results! The background elements are very convincing.
  • SirCalalot
    Offline / Send Message
    SirCalalot polycounter lvl 10
    This looks wonderful.
    I especially like the attention to lighting direction with the background elements.

Edit: If @JordanW says you got great results then you should feel honored ;)
  • Endfinity Jon
    Offline / Send Message
    Endfinity Jon polycounter lvl 8
    I don't want to rock the boat...cause your result looks great!

As someone who got a couple passes on the Naughty Dog Texture Art Test (and became very familiar with it), I'd say this looks like you used it as your starting point and modified the scene/models to your liking. The result looks great but I'm pretty convinced you used their scene and modified it claiming it as your own. Wire frames and scene elements are distinctly familiar. I think you were able to strengthen the scene by making modifications but I still am not convinced you didn't have essentially a template laid out in front of you. The original models have retained less of the distinct test look so it's easier to see you went further away from your starting base as you moved through the process.

However, your sculpts look really good, the added elements are cool, and the overall scene composition is strong. I guess I'm not jiving on the fact you're claiming it's 100% yours, but hey, what do I know?
  • lucashug
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello there!!!
    Thanks a lots guys for your comments! I really appreciate that :)
    And Endfinity Jon, please read the previous post it will answer your question.Cheers
    Lucas