XBox 720 (codename) docs leaked

Replies

• m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    frell wrote: »
    No more discs either, all cloud apparently
    That article clearly mentions Blu Ray Drive. I think the cloud option is later in the system cycle, with 2015 in the corner of that image.

Alot of people are skeptical with the supposed $299 launch price with all of the features mentioned.
  • ScudzAlmighty
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    m4dcow wrote: »
    That article clearly mentions Blu Ray Drive. I think the cloud option is later in the system cycle, with 2015 in the corner of that image.

Alot of people are skeptical with the supposed $299 launch price with all of the features mentioned.
    Maybe for movies? I know game companies want to get off the disk scene so you can't buy used games.

As for $300 launch price, thats pretty scary. Im sure theres a graphics card in that thing so powerful (especially at tv resolution which is 60-100k less pixels) it wont go obsolete nearly as fast as the 360 did.
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    I don't think that they can do away with discs just yet, but have the ability to offer discs or downloadable options. Game companies don't hate discs, they hate losing sales because of used discs.

I'm pretty sure that Sony and Microsoft have something in the works for this, might hint to the "always online" point in that document with some sort of verification system maybe like Steam... or like Diablo 3 does.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    I can see the bluray player being for movies only.... MS is all about pushing xbox 360 as a home entertainment system. not just a game system
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ill pass no matter what, consoles suck more and more each generation. Ill stick to my PC and keep my ps3 for a few more years. This will do nothing new, they are going to have a hard sell with people beyond hard core group. What will it do better?
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    I have a feeling I won't be very impressed when the next gen comes out.
  • sulkyrobot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sulkyrobot triangle
    What's with all the pessimism regarding the consoles?

I would take the leak with a pinch of salt it at least seems dates when it mentions Wii2 rumoures" when it's been public for over a year.
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    nick2730 wrote: »
    This will do nothing new, they are going to have a hard sell with people beyond hard core group.

Eh... I think the only people they'll have a hard sell with IS the hardcore group. Hardcore PC gamers and pessimists anyway.

Otherwise, i think most people are very ready for a new console, and just want to buy one even if there are no clear improvements or innovations beyond the thought of better-looking games. I know I am.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    I think it is funny when people complain it wont do anything new... Like what do you want it to do? Give you a damn blow job and make you breakfast?

Cars are essentially the same exact thing they were 30 years ago. Sure they are faster, sexier, etc but they still get you from point a to point b. Video games are an entertainment device. Nothing different then buying a new video card every 2 years for 300-500 bucks a pop to play the lastest pc games.

Arguments like that are pretty stupid if you ask me.

As for sucking more and more each generation? What? Really? So the 360 is worse then the original xbox and the ps3 is worse then the ps2 or ps1... Hmmmm....

Also I think this past generation really started to give us great online gaming compared to the ps2/xbox days where it was still fairly early...
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yea im quite pessimistic about it, i was more going after the business model not the hardware. I buy a new video card every few years, the old consoles are in desperate need of new hardware especially with dx11 out now.

While its still early, im really worried about the used game thing, cloud and other ways the companies can restrict consoles. Im excited to see what they come up with, I hope they do.

If the just charge 2-300 for new hardware im cool with that, im just worried about price>performance or innovation. If they keep it simple and just upgrade hardware awesome. I just dont think the hardware they can put it will really push it that much further without the consoles being expensive
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    @ Jesse Moody
    I totally agree. There was a time when a new console generation pretty much only meant upgraded hardware across the board, allowing for graphically better and bigger games.

Most innovations they try to introduce just seem to become gimmicks, I'd prefer they just keep it simple.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    what a bunch of sour grapes :P
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Discless will not happen for a very long time. It's too reliant on massive broadband services, of which the majority of the US does not have an adequate speed of. At the very least, you need a 10-15Mb connection for non-stuttering HD streaming from Netflix/HBGO and the like. Hell, I've got a 20Mb connection on ATT-Uverse and I still get hiccups sometimes. Until broadband gets much faster and massively more entrenched, we're relegated to disc format.

I'm happy they are going with BluRay - that's an obvious choice. Wonder how it will work out, seeing as how MS will then be paying their direct competition for use of their format.

New Kinect will be great if they can fix the lag. ALL OF IT. If it's not instantaneous, it's trash. It has a ton of potential if they can fix that latency.

In the end, if they (at least) double the RAM and get a slightly better GFX card on top of their new CPU, it'll be great.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    4 Gigs of Ram aye...Come on MS! Just spring for the 8 gigs! It can't be thaaat much more. Get rid of Kinect hardware if you wanna cut costs.
  • Stormie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Without discs, how can we play the games when they're not available anymore and considered 'retro'? Will we have to buy more memory to buy more games? I think next gen consoles will be a mere soccer ball to me if they don't include game modules. I may not be a professional game developer, but I only have malice for the people who want disc less systems for their own gain.
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stormie- This is what i hate as well, and where control comes in. This way they can limit game play/time cycles and make people move on when the cut support for the game or make it not available
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I think it is funny when people complain it wont do anything new... Like what do you want it to do? Give you a damn blow job and make you breakfast?

Cars are essentially the same exact thing they were 30 years ago. Sure they are faster, sexier, etc but they still get you from point a to point b. Video games are an entertainment device. Nothing different then buying a new video card every 2 years for 300-500 bucks a pop to play the lastest pc games.

Arguments like that are pretty stupid if you ask me.

As for sucking more and more each generation? What? Really? So the 360 is worse then the original xbox and the ps3 is worse then the ps2 or ps1... Hmmmm....

Also I think this past generation really started to give us great online gaming compared to the ps2/xbox days where it was still fairly early...

Too many of grew up in the days where graphics improved exponentially every year and every new video card we bought would let us unlock these new wonders. Sadly we're slowing down now. Maybe not in processing power, but in the improvement of the final look, certainly.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir... yeah i have had everything from atari to the current so every release has been crazy.... it has slowed down in terms of improvements drastically but the difference between UE3 and UE4 alone is still pretty drastic.

I think we will start to see vast improvements in lighting/physics/animation/sound/etc with more memory being able to push those more.

Plus consoles used to only play games. That was it. Now the movies, streaming, web browsing, facebook, and watching tv and live sporting events has really transformed the console into so much more which is a huge improvement at least in my eyes.

I can't wait to see what comes next...
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    4gb ram would be AWESOME. Keep in mind the current consoles have 512mb. That's it!
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    Slum wrote: »
    4gb ram would be AWESOME. Keep in mind the current consoles have 512mb. That's it!

and look at what they can do! 4gb sounds awesome.
  • sulkyrobot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sulkyrobot triangle
    4GB would be lovely considering what was managed with just 512MB~.
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    So in 2014 the world will be overrun by cowboy-dressed Terminators?
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pink holographic cowboy terminators!
  • Rabbid_Cheeze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Consoles are becoming less about games and more about every other form of media. But I can get all that from a PC, and would rather see consoles playing to their traditional strengths by keeping things simple, fast, and and easy. Remember back when you could play a game in less then 30 seconds after turning the system on? It feels like consoles this gen have become really clunky.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    4 gigs is awesome yes! But I imagine the next life-cycle to be even longer maybe! Thinking about the long term. ^_^
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    Slum wrote: »

4gb is laughable amount. UE4 Voxel GI can take easily 2GB VRAM. And I guess that 4GB is total amount of memory. With only 2GB left, where are next-gen high-res assets and huge maps ?
    8GB is minimum.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    I wanted a minimum of 6GB personally (especially as memory is so cheap these days) - but 4GB will still go an awful long way.
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SirCalalot polycounter lvl 10
    You guys are missing the point that the home consoles don't use RAM in the same way that a PC does. You only need to compare the capabilities of a PC with 512MB RAM to an Xbox 360 to see that the system architecture of each machine is fairly unique.

As well as this, the graphics processors and CPU inside a 360 have fixed functions that are different to the fixed functions of a PC GPU.

Edit: Desperately trying to find the Gamesindustry.biz article I read that explains it all...
  • SirCalalot
  • Denny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Denny polycounter lvl 14
    A console doesn't have windows hogging 1GB in the background and has most resources available to it while running the game, makes a huge difference. Let's hope the RAM increase doesn't mean they'll try to make the OS too advanced so it's just another PC...
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    Denny wrote: »
    A console doesn't have windows hogging 1GB in the background and has most resources available to it while running the game, makes a huge difference. Let's hope the RAM increase doesn't mean they'll try to make the OS too advanced so it's just another PC...

Next xbobx will be most likely running on Windows 8.

Eaither way, you missing a point. I just given example above that UE4 Voxel Lighting can easily take about 2GB of memory. And where are at least 2-4k textures, highly detailed models, and vast landscapes in 4GB of memory ?
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    Maybe they should just make something like Ram be scalable. Like how you can upgrade the 360's Hard Drive, maybe you could upgrade its Ram too later on.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Bigjohn wrote: »
    Maybe they should just make something like Ram be scalable. Like how you can upgrade the 360's Hard Drive, maybe you could upgrade its Ram too later on.

consoleMemory.jpg
  • planaria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn wrote: »

maybe they should just like, make a computer. then you can upgrade every part of it. DERP !
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Scalable console tech? Yeah no.

The beauty of consoles is that they dont change, you buy a game and it just works. If im ever told that i need to buy a ram module to play a game some asses need to be kicked.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah scalable consoles totally destroys the whole point of them. The ability to purchase a game for that console no matter what it is and be able to play it without issue.

You guys are developers and you should know that scalable tech would just be fucking horrible for us for so many reasons...
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I'm hoping for a hybrid ssd hdd system to speed up streaming, games are getting bigger and I don't see ssd being cheap enough by it self to allow be to install a bunch of games.
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    you can already have an ssd in your xbox360
    nothing fancy about that
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    If was part of the normal hardware game devs could use it. You can put a SSD drive in a 360 or PS3 but they really don't take advantage of the speed because they aren't and games aren't built around it.
  • planaria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah scalable consoles totally destroys the whole point of them. The ability to purchase a game for that console no matter what it is and be able to play it without issue.

You guys are developers and you should know that scalable tech would just be fucking horrible for us for so many reasons...

Sure its horrible if your targeting everybody.. but targetting everybody would just create a shitty product.

that said, why is it that i post a joke and everyone rebuts it like i was being serious.

*edited out my own personal hatred of consoles rant*
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    iniside wrote: »
    4gb is laughable amount. UE4 Voxel GI can take easily 2GB VRAM. And I guess that 4GB is total amount of memory. With only 2GB left, where are next-gen high-res assets and huge maps ?
    8GB is minimum.

Lol what ?
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    I don't know... they're fine with making you buy a Kinect to play those games if you want to. Or a guitar if you wanna play Guitar Hero. Or whatever Wii accessory. The premise is that you can use it for other games too.

How is Ram any different?
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I can kind of understand doubling the ram half way through the console cycle to save $50 a console at the start or whatever, only if they do it in a similar way to the n64. A lot of the new tech I'm seeing looks really ram heavy, like 3d textures and MegaTexture.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
  • Shadownami92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shadownami92 polycounter lvl 7
    As posted earlier, they did do this for the Nintendo 64 with the Expansion Pack, I remember getting it with Donkey Kong 64. Id added more memory that improved a few games on it. I could see it working to extend a console's lifespan to be honest. If they did what Nintendo did and introduced it later in the life cycle of the console that is. Especially if the extra ram addition was included in a bundle pack of sorts with some newer games that would use it and whatnot.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We need epic to persuade them to double the ram again?
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Your wish is granted!
    5083319985_011a93cceb_z.jpg

...wrong ram?
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    customizable consoles totally work
    look at macs XD
    (changable ram and cpu)
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SirCalalot polycounter lvl 10
    The next Xbox should be a kit that you build yourself.
    You have to source your own CPU, RAM, Motherboard, GPU, PSU, Optical Drive and Case, then put it together to make... wait.