Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Arenanet Art Test - Female

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
ysalex interpolator
I too, am going to try to complete the arenanet arttest. I like the idea of working lower-poly then I'm used too, I like the idea of a deadline (giving myself 3 weeks to finish), and I think the concept art provides a nice challenge.

I'm doing the girl concept.

So, I spent this morning doing a rough blockout. I spent more time on the girls face and proportions than anything. I used a basemesh from a recent character and just started pushing and pulling it around to get a rough idea of her bodyshape, then I spent some time on the face. I'm trying to get a nice balance between what I've seen of the actual GW2 models I've seen, and the concept, which is a lot more stylized then the game models (or at least it seems to me.)

Here's where I'm at:

BODY:

G7G3o.png

Upper body costume:
Please forgive the horrible fur. It's just a stand-in for me to look at while I'm blocking in.

XlsiR.png

FACE:

aQeuQ.png

I know it's a bit like others I've done. It's the medium res mesh from my last model. I will push everything to fit this character, but for now I'm just proportioning and trying to get the mood down.

Replies

• guhhh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    guhhh polycounter lvl 9
    nice start ysalex.... love the eyes
  • Dylan Brady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
    wow, looks really good so far.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    very nice start indeed :)
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    Here little help from in game screenshots:
    Norn_female_tattoos.png
    Norn_Female_Front.jpg

I'm by no means expert on character, but I think it will good course to duplicate game style as close as possible.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    good luck man, will keep an eye on this!
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    Good looking start. You've progressed a lot over the last couple of models, from what I can judge (not good with teh anatomies myself)
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    you should definitely not rely too much on your basemesh, right now its pretty obvious its the same as your photographer and hipsterchick
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    I looked at the images without bothering to see the poster, and I could tell it was you in half a second; you seem to be modeling the same character every time. It's not a bad character in itself, but this is obviously a big artistic weakness.
    For what it's worth, I sometimes try to start off with a likeness of a real person, or combine multiple ones, to force me out of my style.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    I had considered making a whole new female basemesh, but then I thought that

1 - there's an (unspecified) time-limit.

&

2 - the blog post states that this is more about the armor, than about the body.

Not arguing, just explaining myself. I have an anatomy thread where I'm trying to learn to sculpt anatomy quicker and more accurately, although I still have aways to go.

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98003

Do people do new basemeshes everytime they do a new project, or is my problem more that I am using a.) too high a level of basemesh (too specific) or b.) I'm not doing enough to differentiate the meshes from eachother?
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nizza_waaarg polycounter lvl 15
    dude i dig the bod (anat :P) and the face, looks really nice... and i dunno, personally i think the armour and fancy costume will inform the character more, so as long as you put the time into it, can't go wrong ^_^

don't think it's as big of a prob as others are saying but thats just me, will need to see more before judging. I think it looks really nice and fresh so far :)
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    @ Nizza - thank you.

@iniside - those are awesome, thanks. I looked up some other images and found some character sheets for different races, but nothing as close as you got. Thanks again.

@Zwebbie and Naox - I appreciate the advice guys. I ... well, you're both great artists, and I'm listening. I knew it was probably going to come up, since I got the same comment with my last character, but I figured that because the focus here is supposed to be on the armor, and because I knew I could get where I wanted with my a basemesh I already had, that I would go for it. That said, I'm still doing my anatomy studies, because I know it's really important for me to be able to do it right, and be able to do it quickly, and I hope that by the end of this project the similarities wont be visible.

As for the update:

Still just iterating. Trying to figure out how to attack certain parts of the costume. Having a hard time with the skirt, but I think it's just a good number of layers. Has anyone found a character sheet for her yet?

aC5aO.png
  • Daven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daven greentooth
    Damn, this is looking great. Subscribed.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    you need to rethink the fur. go with large, non-noisy clumps, rather than what you have now which just won't read very well...
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    How are you hoping to do the fur later, sculpted or alphas? I would've thought blocking in forms with the claybrush would be a good way to go...
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    I said it once or twice above, but it was easy to miss: I'm just using those mixed up polys as a stand-in for the fir as I block out. It's literally the laziest way I could think of doing it -- snakehook brush with a porous alpha. I'm just trying to get a feel for the mass, I don't really care how it looks at anything but long distance, as long as I know how the mass sits on her.

@Gir - yeah, I'll do the fur correctly when I get closer to finished.

@Torch - I have no idea yet. I think I'm going to do alphas, but it depends on how the mass looks. Seems like if I do fur 'cards' with alpha, that I'll have to use a lot of polys to get it massed out, but I might use just as many by doing it as a sculpt. We'll see? Are you doing the same challenge, how are you considering it?

@Riot - her torso is long on purpose like in the concept, maybe pulling out her legs a bit would even out the proportions. Thanks for the input.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    I'm hoping to try it out if I get enough time outside work (That old excuse :D )

I think you're off to a great start - if you want to check out Yeman's submission for the previous test he got some pretty good results with fur:

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=88629&highlight=arenanet&page=3
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Wow, never saw that thread. He did great and within a similar tri-count. Thanks for the reference.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    More blocking.

The fur isn't fur, it's just massing. It's not supposed to look like fur, just be the general size and shape.

So many of these threads popping up, so interesting seeing how people deal with things and general workflow. Learning a lot just doing this concurrently with people.

Not happy with a couple things. The flow of the back side skirt makes it obvious that it's a mirror. Not sure yet if I'll be mirror that in texture, or if it'll be full ...

Also the leggings I'm just beginning to figure out, the shoes I have no clue. It looks like the metal plates over the shin on each layer extend down into the foot armor. I'm going to try to match it up with the hand armor if I can.

aivNE.png

SMBxA.png

5cMUc.png
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    One more quick update and then I'm done for the day. Worked out some of the leg, added tone and changed up some of the armor proportions. Next three big things: hand armor, figure out how to solve the foot so that it fits the style, and then the belt accessories in general.

TPjWR.png

RKG2Y.png
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    I love your sculpts, and your girls! Really, but all of them are so alike. Even this one. It's the way the mouth is shaped (mainly) but also how the head is shaped.

I don't know if you even want to work your way from that though. Don't say you need to, just what I see :)

Looks ace this far either way! Keep it up!
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    You seem to fall back on that peculiar Devon Aoki typed face over and over - small, almond eyes, unusal squarish nose and what my father would describe as a chook's bum mouth. It's interesting certainly, and interesting is often good in character design when so many of the characters that people create, and particularly female characters, look so cookie-cutter. I think here though that if you're working on an art test, you really need to break away from your comfort zone and demonstrate that you can do a more "regular" looking girl, or even just something distinctly different from the other characters you've got in your portfolio.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Well, I figure I better give up on this one and start over to get something more original than I've been doing, I know people give me that feedback to try and help.

So I restarted: This is where I got too:

Lu1dK.jpg
  • FullSynch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FullSynch polycounter lvl 11
    I'm starting to think you haven't even been reading these comments. This one looks exactly the same too. :poly127:

Anyway, this is all time you could be putting in to your art test. :D
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    ahahahaha, if you pulled that off arenanet would probably LOL
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    FullSynch wrote: »
    Anyway, this is all time you could be putting in to your art test. :D

This is my art-test buddy.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    Doing a fat version actually seems like an interesting idea that could separate you from the rest of the pack.

I don't think you should completely abandon your earlier model, though. It was progressing very well and I could see it turning into an excellent low poly. I think the only issue was that the face looked slightly too similar to some previous models you've done, but that could easily be changed by simply closing the mouth and accentuating some of the facial features you see in the concept. The nose was already looking pretty spot-on, and the eyes were also looking great.

If you're going to forge ahead with the fat version, I'd suggest changing some of the proportions of aspects of the outfit to emphasize the fat. You could exaggerate the sizes of things like that door knocker thing on her belly and really push the chunky, round shapes everywhere.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Show threads breaking and put a snickers bar in the hand.

Id say it depends on Arenanet really. Obviously nailing that fat model would show them you are good at what you do, but they also might like your sense of humor and would enjoy your spirit in the office, and everyone would talk about your submission and youd make friends fast :)
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    Too tall, in my opinion. The torso is really throwing me off. You can deviate from the norm by a half-head or so but 2 heads taller is too much. Also definitely change the head shape/facial features. Remember that you have to impress and please a client and not about self-indulgences.
    Comparison.
    7404886300_48fbbbf01c_b.jpg
    7404927686_317b6203b1_b.jpg
    Good luck.
  • dii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dii
    Doing a fat version actually seems like an interesting idea that could separate you from the rest of the pack.
    I thought the same thing... the brief says it's mainly an armor test anyway so hell why not?
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    @ garriola83 -- Thanks, I'll apply that to my new model.

@ Frell -- Thank you for the reference images of your sister.

@ everyone else -- I'm not doing this to 'differetiate myself', and to be honest I think it's really shallow of you all to assume that because she's a bit overwieght, that this is a joke. It's not a joke.

Frankly I just think there aren't enough real women in games.

New update: Think I'm pretty much there with the basemesh, although I'll need to put some time in on the hands and face when I reach those areas.

cxRpq.png
  • s33th
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome. I love how in her profile view the wolf's head is hanging off of her gut. Well played sir.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I may be American but my sister does not look like that at all
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog polycounter lvl 8
    "...I think it's really shallow of you all to assume that because she's a bit overwieght, that this is a joke. It's not a joke."

To be fair, this model would be considered obese, not a bit overweight. Unless you're just kidding :P

Right now the line going through he center of her is a bit too strong and could be toned down.
  • El Scorcho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha Gross! I respect your originality though. Why don't you give her some muscle to go with that fat?
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Started on the armor. Poor wolf died. Worked over face a bit, I hate trying to smooth a subdivided dynamesh, but didn't feel like retopoing all of that body.

sOuuU.png
  • ceebee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ceebee polycounter lvl 14
    Ahahahaha what the fuck. I like where this is going.
  • Jeremy Tabor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Tabor polycounter lvl 13
    garriola83 wrote: »
    Too tall, in my opinion. The torso is really throwing me off. You can deviate from the norm by a half-head or so but 2 heads taller is too much. Also definitely change the head shape/facial features. Remember that you have to impress and please a client and not about self-indulgences.
    Comparison.
    Good luck.

There's a discrepancy there with what you are defining as a 'Head' in your diagram. In the arenanet example, you have included the bulk of the hair in the head unit, whereas with ysalex's, you have only included the face, which obviously skews the measurement a bit, and results in an exaggerated count.

Basically, I disagree with this assessment. I think the elongated torso accentuates bare-bellied-ness of the armor design, which is the focus of the test - the armor. And I'm not sure what is so wrong with the handling of the face which would necessitate a redesign, but maybe that's just me.

With that all said, the current, plumper iteration, is humorous. I can't tell if your serious or not, but that certainly would be an attention-grabber, especially if you treat it with the same level of craftsmanship. haha!
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    no....She is fat. It is not attractive. The only thing it will do is stand out.
    A "real" woman doesn't let her body fall into lazy disrepair on the verge of a heart attack.
    No logical person would.
  • duncan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    duncan polycounter lvl 11
    @ AlexCatMasterSupreme :

blatest_selection_of_photos_about_weird_people_in_america.jpg

no..... not at all.....:D
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    duncan wrote: »
    @ AlexCatMasterSupreme :

no..... not at all.....:D

LOL.
    But I mean, see! It's sick!
    And before someone say that "real girls" have meat, that isn't meat, that's blubber, a lot, it's unhealthy and not good looking at all.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Hey Alex, calm down, that part was a joke. Nobody is saying Frells sister is made of blubber, alright?
  • FullSynch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FullSynch polycounter lvl 11
    *raises hand* I...I might be saying that. :shifty:
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex wrote: »
    Hey Alex, calm down, that part was a joke. Nobody is saying Frells sister is made of blubber, alright?

Sorry I suck at telling what's a joke lol, I was like, what....
    It was still interesting.
    Good model though.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I can't help but feel partly responsible for this.
  • xk0be
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lol'd hard at the wolf being dead with the tongue flopped out. You're awesome man. I mean it
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    haha, love this thread and find your new direction interesting - can't wait to see some hardcore armor on this valkyrie!
  • Pancakes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pancakes polycounter lvl 10
    lol wow this would be so awesome if they actually put it in Guild Wars2. Wouldn't that be an MMO world first, to have an obese woman as even a possiblity in the character building screen?

She'd have to be a mage though unless she gets at least a little bit of muscle imo
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex wrote: »
    kill yourself
  • Graze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Graze polycounter lvl 6
    HAHA such a good idea :D
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog polycounter lvl 8
    I think the presentation of this would be super effective if you had her sitting down on the floor, taking a breather to refill her health (I've never played GW and just making the crude assumption it's like various other MMO's in that aspect.)