Home› 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Fisherman's Friend

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Roepetoepa polycounter lvl 12
As I am very inspired by the sea and its mysteries I wanted to make an old fisherman for a long time.
During the period of my internship I found the time to work on this project and the Coloroids project after my hours at work.

High Poly modeled and Sculpted.
Made with Zbrush, 3Ds max, Vray, Roadkill, and Photoshop.

C&C welcome as usual :)

FishermansFriend_Jeroen_Van_Hoorebeke.jpg

Replies

• Low
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Low
    Nice looking work.

Not sure about the head proportion though, seems a little big.

Fishermen are hardworkers, so in my opinion it should be reflected a bit much into your project. I took those three references to illustrate my point.

Uno (You probably used it yourself, am I right?)
    Dos
    Tres

First and second images are alike and your work gets near those images. But, because there is always a but, their clothes don't look brand new. I'm not a big fan of always putting dirt into 3d textures but it seems it could add character to your project since fishermen are outdoor people who works hard all day long. [EDIT: The clothes also look too straight, not worn enough. I'm not saying to put holes on 'em but maybe loose them a bit.] Those two pictures also show a person with a neck that has been bent by hard labour.

Since you said you like the mysteries of the sea, the design of the third picture could give a mysterious sense into your project with the good lighting. It is also more clich
  • KazeoHin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KazeoHin polycounter lvl 8
    All crits aside: AWESOME work. I wish I had such skill.
  • Roepetoepa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ low: thanks man, I used non of the 3 images actually.
    I was trying to make a portrait that is taken in a studio, that is why the image doesn't have a background and HDRI reflection map.
    That is also the reason why he is wearing clothes without wear and tear, the idea is that he got this portrait picture taken to remember himself at this age.
    @KazeoHin: Thanks man ! means a lot :}
  • Vio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vio polycounter lvl 6
    Its fantastic work Roepetoepa you should be proud of that. I'd love to know how you get the fluff right on the jacket like that. Those little details are really inspiring. Great work on the eyes too.
  • ericdigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ericdigital polycounter lvl 13
    Amazing work. The material definition is inspiring! It's so clear what kind of surface each piece is, just awesome :)
  • Roepetoepa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ VIO Thanks a lot ! uhm its hair and fur rendered with vray :) the rest of the jacket has a very detailed normalbump ;)
    @ EricDigital Thanks eric ! I like your captain america :] thanks for dropping by
  • praetor187
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetor187 polycounter lvl 11
    This render is just gorgeous. I love the expression on his face its very placid yet full of wisdom as well great job man. :)
  • Roepetoepa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ praetor187 thanks you :]
  • Nasser
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nasser polycounter lvl 12
    Wow, I'm putting this into my inspiration folder. Incredible work!
  • Roepetoepa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Nasser thanks for the kind words man ! means a lot