Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Facial Anatomical Femininity

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Pancakes polycounter lvl 10
Hello, do you have suggestions on the current femininity of this human head model vs how you think it could become more feminine? I often struggle with this, where in general the heads I try to make look masculine. I like tough. But I'm afraid that from a technical point of view I might be "skirting" masculinity a bit much. Thanks.

feminine.png

Replies

• YoutLeaderVal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not a professional opinion, but I think she looks awesome. And kind of sexy.
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord McMutton polycounter lvl 17
    Aye, she's rather masculine, but no matter how I look at her I can't make her seem like a man. Therefore, you're good.
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Yeah, looks great to me to. She definitly has personality. I'm a bit tired of girl models that look kinda all the same, even if technicaly perfect.
    Bah, whatever.
    less squarish jaw ? Thiner chin ? Fill the cheeks a bit ?
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    She has strong features. Sharp cheeks, wide jaw with a clear angle. I personally dig how it looks, but if you want to make it more generic, try softening some shapes.
  • Pancakes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, I'm pleasantly surprised at the reaction. This is a first for anyone to tell me that they wanted my model NOT to change too much. Thanks!

I also want to say that I'm not saying that I wanted to change the way she looks or morph her into a different character. I'm just concerned about whether from a technical stand point I might have pushed some of her strong features into the realm of masculinity. Because I honestly don't know. I wish I knew my anatomy better but I needed to ask.

Again, thanks! I honestly didn't expect these sorts of comments.
  • YoutLeaderVal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You going to texture her? Would be cool to see what kind of character you turn her into.
  • Pancakes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yup gonna try my best. Thanks for the interest and positive energy!
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Reminds me of her, somehow:
    bellaswan.jpg

...I like it.
  • Pancakes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Right now I'm trying to match this body to the head. Having some scale issues atm, something to do with how the neck, jaw and shoulders meet up. But besides that, any cautions or warnings you might want to give me?

armature.png

@Joopson - Hey I like her face. It's very feminine :poly142:
  • FullSynch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FullSynch polycounter lvl 11
    Yes, yes I see the problem here. Her head appears to be a box.
  • praetor187
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetor187 polycounter lvl 11
    Everything is looking really solid here. i really like the face, it has a good feminine feature that I think a lot of other models tend to miss sometimes. I would say the ears stick out a just a tad bit too much but other than that great work here.
  • ikken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pancakes wrote: »
    Hello, do you have suggestions on the current femininity of this human head model vs how you think it could become more feminine? I often struggle with this, where in general the heads I try to make look masculine. I like tough. But I'm afraid that from a technical point of view I might be "skirting" masculinity a bit much. Thanks.

feminine.png

she is sort of bald right now, I believe adding some hair will make her look more feminine. Throw some basic polygon shapes and a place-holder hair-alpha and see how different lengths change her appearance.

I, personally, like her current features right now. Very expressive.
  • choco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    choco polycounter lvl 10
    Like most of the guys here said, I find that she has character compared to most of the female models I've seen on these forums which if very good.
    tomb-raider-ps3.jpg
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    I think the head sculpt looks really great. I, too, am tired of heads looking all the same. One thing I like to experiment with on the face is the nose, since it brings out so much personality. Keep it up man.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    perna wrote: »
    Finally someone makes a female head that doesn't look like some mannequin free of personality and he wants to "fix" it. Sigh...

What you've made is more interesting than the majority of 3d female heads out there. Just try nudging the eyeballs up slightly and perhaps the ear down.

this.

you've made a really good head. sure there are some areas i would look at smoothing out, but not really "change". she looks like a very REAL type of woman, and that's a good thing.

there are some androgynous qualities going on, but please don't change them... do a blockout of some hair or something and you'll probably find the entire face looks different because of it. there are many MANY women out there who have "masculine" features, but look beautiful anyway. and a big impact on that, is hair.

i actually see courtney cox in your sculpt haha.
  • Darkleopard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks really good, love the personality showing already. I would get a bunch of different hair styles and try them out, see what does it for you.
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    perna wrote: »
    One thing to keep in mind is that most 3d heads are sculpted wrong.
    This is an interesting train of thought; would you mind elaborating on it (in a new thread if necessary)?
  • YoutLeaderVal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keeping her bald would be pretty cool, too.
  • Pancakes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys again for the support but I just wanted to say that I tried to start painting her today but I am having technical issues with 3dCoat. I modeled her in voxels using the beta/unstable version and I'm having issues with it that are making things more involved. It may be a while. But then again I might figure out how to fix these memory issues that are preventing me from opening/saving and doing other operations.

I just didn't want to go quiet without saying anything.
  • Pancakes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bodytype.png

Okay, I'm back with this thread. I had some technical issues where 3dCoat was saving my files super big to the point where I didn't have enough memory to open them, I was using an experimental version so it's kind of my fault. I eventually found an old backup somewhere and have evaded the memory issues since.

Currently I am trying to find the proper body type and to improve the anatomy. I'm asking for any objections and suggestions you might have. I currently haven't landed on a final figure or hairstyle for her so keep that in mind. But I posted two examples of what I have been experimenting with.

Some of you have mentioned that you think I did something right with her face. Well, if I have done something right, my brain still doesn't understand what it was. So perhaps it was a bit of luck. And in that sense I'm not sure how to get the most of the good that some of you have said you've seen in her. But I'm going to eventually convert these voxels into polys and at that point I will have more precise control than I do now. And maybe if I keep at it I might get a bit lucky again as I hone in on the details.

But before that I'm trying to figure out the bodytype, as I said, as well as going ahead and fitting her body to the skeletal rig so I can start animations even before the model is done, by animating the proxy mesh.

Anyways, here is a rig test I did just by making a quick walk cycle in just 2 minutes or so, then pushing some curves around in the F-curve editor. I apologize ahead of time for the cameraman who was out of his league for this gig, obviously. As well as for the music, which is something that I composed years ago for an RPGMaker game I was working on. I mastered the volume levels so poorly that it can probably only be heard with headphones, it's probably too distorted for any other speakers. Then again you can always just press mute.:poly142:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwR9ue_nEzI"]F-Curves Dance - YouTube[/ame]

Well thanks guys and leave critiques if you have them. Anything about anatomy would be nice.
  • YoutLeaderVal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks to me like you went the other with her character. Her face was very strong, had a distinct V shape; she looked like a forceful and sturdy woman. The haircut and physique you gave her makes her look like a rookie Gundam pilot, with big boobs. I'm not sure what your vision is, but I'd re-examine her personality and go with what her face is telling you. I imagined an athletic amazon woman.
  • Aga22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aga22 polycounter lvl 11
    i also believe her head is just perfect the way you made it. she reminds me of nelly btw

http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/_/156957/Nelly+Furtado.jpg