Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Female Future Soldier

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
gilesruscoe polycounter lvl 10
Another character project - go!
This time i'm aiming to make a scifi chick based off a sketch i did in PS, very halo inspired after seeing the E3 stuff. Crits on everything and anything are welcomed!

scifichick2.jpg

I did a block out in zbrush - i'm going to use this as a base to model my hardsurface stuff over,
scificharactertt.gif

Paintover with hands 'n' colours 'n' stuffs;

scifipo.jpg

Replies

• theslingshot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There's something off with the proportions, she has the hips and rear of a 300 pounds girl.

The design looks pretty cool, but I sincerely dislike the breasts part, too much like armored nipples up there :/ I would also go with something else then green/gray, too much Halo like, or keep it this way if you were going with a very Halo look.
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey man, Yea i was thinking the same about the green, but i did a hue test in photoshop and nothing really popped out at me other than a really deep purple version, but i think that might be a bit dark?
    Somebody else commented about the armor plated nipples too, will think of something more subtle :P

As for the hips, i really want to keep that triangular silhouette that she currently has, the way i saw it was that the armour around the hips is thicker than other parts of the armour, similar to how the arm guards are really thick too. It just makes for a more interesting shape i felt.
    here's how she might be shaped below the gear, from doing this paintover though i realised the shoulders need to come out a tad.
    scifichickpaintover.jpg
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog polycounter lvl 8
    The design of the helmet just screams Halo to me. You said you were inspired by Halo...Is this like a fan piece (a female master chief) or are you going for your own design? If the latter, I would seriously consider changing the colour scheme (green grey with yellow-orange visor) and changing the helmet design. A Halo nut would be able to point out a million differences between your helmet and the chief's helmet, but for someone like me that's not a huge fan, it's very similar.

I would tone down dat ass a bit also. The silhouette has a cool style too it, just needs some more beleivability in the rear.

Keep going!
  • Vio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vio polycounter lvl 6
    End of the shoulders need to line up with the pelvis. At the moment the hourglass figure is too small at the top and too wide at the bottom. Easy fixes, nice design :)
  • YoutLeaderVal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the proportions. Reminds me of old Squaresoft games with wonky-shaped characters. If there were a whole mess of people like this standing around, with wonky bodies of various sizes and proportions, this would look normal.
  • EiGHT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EiGHT polycounter lvl 10
    I agree with YoutLeaderVal.

These proportions are amazing.
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you want to keep the triangular shape, maybe think about what you can do with the armor plating design in that area to accent that? It looks more like a male form scaled out to look roughly female.
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    I think the proportions and overall shape are pretty sweet. I say keep the hips, bring up the ass a bit (in the center, I think the length you've got on her rear is fine, but it's sagging a fair bit in the middle I'd say).

Also, helmet is definitely pretty much reading Master Chief to me.
  • throttlekitty
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback guys - i think i'l be keeping the silhouette as it is then and just make some kind of adjustments to the hip armour to show that its thick armour plating.

Didn't get too much done so far today, a little bit of helmet prototyping and a base mesh for the face.

helmetdesign.gif
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrHobo polycounter lvl 13
    Diggin the helmet animation.
    Though it feels like there might be too many parts on it right now.
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog polycounter lvl 8
    Try swinging some of the pieces aroudn the curvature of the helmet more, that could look cool
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Are the master chief nipples super necessary? :)

I like the helmet animation, but have the screws move all at the same time, or space their timing out even more i.e. wait for one animation to finish before the next one starts. Give it a few frames even.
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @mrhobo a lot of the parts are just there to represent where surface bevels will be on the final mesh, just blocking everything out right now.

@Selaxnog, yea i was trying to get the small parts under the jaw line to kind of roll backwards but it needs a bit of thinking, everything will have small wires and hydraulics pushing it from behind eventually, so i need to make sure i leave enough room for them.

@Andreas, the masternips are gone! replaced with master-almost-boob-shape.
    scifichickupdate1.jpg

At the moment all the animations overlap for certain reasons, the main panels push out, and then this makes room for the front section to rotate downward. This is by no means the final animation for the helmet, but more of a way of seeing where/how the pieces will move. All the timing and stuff can be fiddled with once i have the final parts made for the helmet.

Paintover for the helmet, couldn't be bothered to paint lots of little wires at the back, but in the model there will be quite a dense amount of small wires there:
    helmetpo.jpg
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And while im in the paintover zone, here's an idea where i want to go with the face:
    facepo.jpg
  • EiGHT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EiGHT polycounter lvl 10
    I like where this is going.Though for some reason I thought the face would look more like so:

ee235516.jpg
  • FullSynch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FullSynch polycounter lvl 11
    I thought it would be a wolf too. :/
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I quite like that type of face actually EiGHT, i'l have to play around with a few different styles before i settle on something, would definately fit the body style better.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Much better.

batman-nipples.gif?w=250&h=308&h=273

I think she could do with more curvature in the hips, have it flowing instead of such an angular change, but I would keep them as big as they are. Looks less 'generic 3D female'.
  • Vertrucio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vertrucio greentooth
    Also, keep in mind how your character will actually move in that armor.

The reason why the Doom Marine and Master Chief both have exposed joints that look like they're covered in black future fabric is to give space for those hard metal plates to more and not intersect.

The way you have that armor now, that woman couldn't possibly move around. The plates just jut up right against each other, no overlapping, no joint areas. Since women tend to move from the hips, that area will need more pronounced overlapping to indicate where the plates give way.
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BenHenry polycounter lvl 11
    I'm no character artist, but I can give you a few good tips.
    1. In my opinion, it looks very similar to Halo armor. Try to go for something a bit more unique.
    2. Always try to involve a theme like a spaceship engineer, captain etc... It adds character.
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Decided that i'm actually only going to have this piece as a bust from the chest up and focus on the technicalities inside the helmet.

Here's a small update cleaning up some of the pieces. Going to get all the external stuff done and then focus on the interior workings of it. and then finally go over with floating geo to add some surface detailing. Another gif to show the plates fitting together better;

helmetanim2.gif