Home Technical Talk

ZBrush "Curve Mode" woes.

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Baj Singh polycounter lvl 9
Hi, im trying to create a repeating pattern over a cylindrical surface using the "Curve Mode" modifier. I seem to be having two problems with this though:

1: I can't seem to find a way to manually move the curve manipulators manually after I have created a stroke (So I want to move the manipulators to wrap around the cylinder).

2: Applying an alpha to a brush causes the one click stroke feature of the curve mode to stop working which is what I need to apply the pattern.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Replies

• Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Pictures or more info on what you're trying to do? What do you mean by "curve mode" ?

You might find what you're doing easier with the Noisemaker function (Tool pallete > Surface > Noise) but then again its hard to say without knowing exactly what you want to do.
  • Baj Singh
    Offline / Send Message
    This is the curve mode:

http://www.pixologic.com/docs/index.php/Curve_Mode

Basically it allows you to draw a curve stroke on the surface of a mesh and then fill in that stroke with the brush pattern of your choice (similar to the pen stroke tool in Photoshop).

What im trying to recreate is something like this:

AnticStore-Medium-Ref-6220_02.jpg

See the middle strip of detail running around the circumference of the vase. I want to recreate something like that however simply doing it with the lazymouse enabled tracks brush would mean I would have to constantly rotate the mesh and try and blend it using trial and error.

Radial symmetry might work but im also interested in getting the curve mode working for more complex shapes. Cheers.
  • Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Curve mode miight not be working with subdivisions? Maybe if you turn on dynamesh? Or experiment with a high poly cylinder, with lower subd's deleted? Radial Symmetry might do the trick for now though, can always save the changes on a layer if you later get curve mode working and want to redo that part.
  • Baj Singh
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll have a play around with it. Been using morph targets for recovery which seems to work nicely.

Cheers mate.
  • cryrid
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Straight-up Radial Sym would be my approach, or a UV-based mask.

But for Curve mode, turn lazy mouse off, Curve Bend and Snap on, Curve intensity off, and set the Max Points to however many times you want the pattern to repeat. Using Drag Dot will let you manipulate the curve. You'll have a hard time drawing it out and then trying to move it in position all the way around the shape though. Sym/Radial Sym can help with that, depending on the complexity (in this example they'd work)
  • zaidoigres
    Offline / Send Message
    zaidoigres polycounter lvl 10
    cryrid wrote: »
    Straight-up Radial Sym would be my approach, or a UV-based mask.

But for Curve mode, turn lazy mouse off, Curve Bend and Snap on, Curve intensity off, and set the Max Points to however many times you want the pattern to repeat. Using Drag Dot will let you manipulate the curve. You'll have a hard time drawing it out and then trying to move it in position all the way around the shape though. Sym/Radial Sym can help with that, depending on the complexity (in this example they'd work)

Hi Cryrid, do you know what could be the cause why this Drag Dot method is no longer working in R7? I did exactly the same steps in R6 and R7. In R6 it works like a charm, but in R7 it just draws the first point (using dam standard for example), and that's it. It doesn't draw the stroke along the curve.

I'd really appreciate any help with this, as I use it quite often. Thanks!

This video shows exactly what I'm talking about:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0ReQ47s6CM[/ame]
  • Popeye9
    Offline / Send Message
    Popeye9 polycounter lvl 15
    Zaidoigres from what I read on Zbrushcentral is that this is a bug with curve mode and that hopefully its fixed in a patch
  • zaidoigres
    Offline / Send Message
    zaidoigres polycounter lvl 10
    Popeye9 wrote: »
    Zaidoigres from what I read on Zbrushcentral is that this is a bug with curve mode and that hopefully its fixed in a patch

Ok, nice, thanks Popeye9!