Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[CE3] Unfragment

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
S2Engine polycounter lvl 10
LATEST:
vqDDx.jpg

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsiMx8D45ZM"]Hatsune Miku - Unfragment[/ame]
I was watching this video for Hatsune Miku's song "Unfragment", and loved the setting and mood portrayed, so I thought it'd be fun to re-create that space in 3D. Also wanted to learn CE3, as I was getting tired of lightmapping in UDK.

GOALS:
  • unique space with special attention paid to materials
  • enticing mood and atmosphere through lighting and FX
  • solid execution of individual assets that can stand on their own
  • get a good handle on environment workflow in CE3; it's feeling very natural once I got passed the initial setup hurdles

PROJECT COMPLETION:
  • 4-6 beauty shots showing off key angles of the scene
  • 1 short video (~15-30 seconds) edited together in an artsy-fartsy fashion to show the dynamics of the environ
    and enhance the mood with appropriate audio - expect split-frame compositions and gratuitous overuse of rack focus

Note: I don't intend to get all of the above done this week, but I'll at least get the ball rolling on the heavy workload up front.

xgS7U.jpg

and very rough blockout shots in Max
y1rzv.jpg
2UtWU.jpg
0DxAD.jpg
7NOLs.jpg
(thanks for the SDK character Slipgate :))

Tomorrow I'll post the current asset list with reference images, get blockmesh into Sandbox for all assets, and create the wall and floor modules with materials so that you can start to see where it's heading.

Replies

• S2Engine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blockmesh in Sandbox now, lighting is completely temp and awfully spotty, will be fixed when I start to wrap my head around interior lighting in CE3. Also, a quick highpoly render for fun :)

m67uU.jpg
    epOeb.jpg
    tcpcM.jpg
    vqDDx.jpg
  • Pancakes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pancakes polycounter lvl 10
    u got it, dude
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    Hey there, Mad
    Great to see you've fired this up! Great idea and lovely video:)I found out that I even still remember some hiragana, though obviously can't understand a thing.

If I were to give some advice my main concern right now would be composition. I'd stray from going too square. You can get much more from making it a bit more complex or dynamic. On your moodboard bottom row, second from the right is an amazing starting point for an amazing visual direction. Curved faceted ceilings showing deep night sky could be really cool. Also it's very modular and much more fresh. You can even have one wall go up not at a right angle but a broader one, making for an interesting 1 point perspective. I personally would play around and see what works.:)

Also it seems like your 3ds Max camera is the default 45 FOV, which is generally too narrow for a good environment composition. You might want to try at least 90 during your blockouts, no to end up with something compositionally different in the engine.

Anyway I'm really looking forward to what you'll come up with.:D Keep it up!
  • S2Engine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Pancakes: Thanks man!

@Andrew: Thanks, glad you like the concept! You have a strong case for composition, and ordinarily I'd do exactly what you're saying. I have a nasty habit of spending too much time on trying to craft the most interesting composition in the beginning of a project, diminishing time and energy for the actual assets sometimes. This time I wanted to have something very simple and straightforward as a goal, so that I could put more time into individual elements and especially set dressing. I figured if I started with very plain shapes it'd really push me to make it look more unique through the assets inside it. If I can't get as far as I'd like with the props I have in mind, I'll revisit the overall composition again and see where I can take it. Good point about the Max camera FOV, it did feel a little strange while I was working and moving around.

Spent some time today getting some wall material modules together. I'm pretty sure I don't need most of these, since the walls should be pretty heavily covered as it goes on, but it was a fun exercise in shapes. Walls are a bit repetitive though, going to adjust and replace them.

et2wf.jpg
    USIBM.jpg
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    Totally see your point, man! Finishing stuff should always be a priority :D

Anyway nice progress on those panels and I'm looking forward for more. Keep it up!:)