Home General Discussion

THQ San Diego shut down

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
BlvdNights polycounter lvl 8
Too many of these stories lately. And today of all days too :( I know we have a few polycounters who are there.

On the very day the deal was publicly announced which saw the rights to the UFC franchise pass from THQ to EA, the former has reportedly closed its San Diego studio, which was last responsible for WWE All Stars.
http://kotaku.com/5915701/thq-chooses-today-of-all-days-to-fire-employees-close-studio

Hope everyone there bounces back quickly!

We have some positions available at Telltale and we're working on some really exciting new projects!

Art wise we're looking for character and UI artists

Other positions are here:

http://www.telltalegames.com/company/jobs/ or just hit me up with a PM of your stuff and I'll pass it along.

Replies

• Funky Bunnies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Funky Bunnies polycounter lvl 17
    maaan that sucks :(
    i hope you guys get snatched up quick
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    I used to see those big letters on my drive to High Moon every day... Sigh.
  • bounchfx
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
  • vcortis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vcortis polycounter lvl 9
    Hope everyone lands on their feet... this industry is a cruel mistress.
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    Really? On E3? Just, damn, shit's really harsh :( Hope everyone is picked up soon :(
  • Orgoth02
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orgoth02 polycounter lvl 9
    On that note here is a video with the new president of THQ telling everyone how he is going to change the company, he oddly forgot to mention this small detail about closing this studio down.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2012-thq/730958

I swear I will never buy another THQ product again. RIP THQ, RIP
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    damn i just bought a ton of stock from them earlier in year ... wish all the best
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    nick2730 wrote: »
    damn i just bought a ton of stock from them earlier in year ...

You do know that THQ is in danger of being delisted? It's shitty but THQ has to do what it can to stay in business, if THQ folds a lot more people will be out of work.
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yea, i bought it real cheap earlier in the year gonna hold on to it. Hope everyone lands on their feet
  • BlvdNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You should fire your stock broker
  • joe gracey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joe gracey polycounter lvl 11
  • IchII3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IchII3D polycounter lvl 12
    THQ share price was at $0.40 a few months back only for around a day, within hours of the announcement that they where above target on sales their share price went back up to $0.60. People could stand to make a tone of money if THQ turn things around, right now they have some solid titles lined up and Saints Row is pulling in consistent money from its shop. I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that THQ is a bad buy, if anything its the perfect gamble. But again, its still a gamble.

If as an example THQ turned it all around and some how within the next 5-7 years got their share price back up to $36.04 you would increase your investment by 9000%

You might think that's silly but in 1996 their share price was around the same as it is now, yet by 2001 it had peaked at $26.52

https://www.google.co.uk/finance?client=ob&q=NASDAQ:THQI
  • Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    Way to try and get news like this buried by doing it around E3. Dick move indeed
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    I don't get it.

How is this a dick move?

:/
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    They did it during E3, which so far indicates that they wanted to hide it under all the bruhaha of the shows. Usually stuff like this gets reported right off the bat, unless you're busy with something else of peeps who worked at a company send you the news (which in this case happened).

Who knows, maybe they had a reason? But E3 period out of all the times? It's almost as bad as when Halo 4's released date got confirmed on ballot day in the US, it just doesn't line up properly.

However, it seems like they're currently trying to make sure their peeps find good positions with EA or other branches of THQ, so there is that, although, I'm sure it's only going to be for Wrestle license based branches on both sides.
  • BlvdNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Business is still business. This week is still a regular work week for most of us.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    yea I grabbed a bit of their stock at the .50 level, like 250 bucks worth, a total throwaway gamble but ill be happy if they get it up to the 3-6 dollar range.
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i did the same pixel at .60
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    This news really sucks, the undisputed franchise had some pretty good games. Good luck in the job hunt Dustin!
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
  • nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah man... this year is turning out to be a shitstorm of closures.

I am sorry Dustin. I didn't know you were at THQ San Diego.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Sorry, Dustin. Another one bites the dust for San Diego.. Work is getting tougher to find out here. Dustin, I got buddies at Trion telling me they are doing a major hiring push. They are located in Del Mar. Had an interview there and it's a GREAT studio!
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    My heart goes out to my fellow ex-THQ employees, I wish you guys had the opportunity to leave on your own terms beforehand :(
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    They did it during E3, which so far indicates that they wanted to hide it under all the bruhaha of the shows. Usually stuff like this gets reported right off the bat, unless you're busy with something else of peeps who worked at a company send you the news (which in this case happened).

Who knows, maybe they had a reason? But E3 period out of all the times? It's almost as bad as when Halo 4's released date got confirmed on ballot day in the US, it just doesn't line up properly.

However, it seems like they're currently trying to make sure their peeps find good positions with EA or other branches of THQ, so there is that, although, I'm sure it's only going to be for Wrestle license based branches on both sides.

I dunno. I view it as a fledging publisher with HUGE money woes. Not some money grubbing mega-publisher that laid off their staff before a quarterly bonus.

Keeping everyone on staff would likely require money they don't have. (Keep in mind, the studio's operating costs could have possibly cost $200k+ a week).

Everyone sees THQ is going under, it's not like this studio closer was a major shock. I think we're all hoping for a merger or buyout at this point. I also hope everyone affected by this lands on their feet.

Dustin, you're really talented I'm sure you'll find something pretty quickly.

:)
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    JacqueChoi wrote: »
    I dunno. I view it as a fledging publisher with HUGE money woes. Not some money grubbing mega-publisher that laid off their staff before a quarterly bonus.

Keeping everyone on staff would likely require money they don't have. (Keep in mind, the studio's operating costs could have possibly cost $200k+ a week).

Everyone sees THQ is going under, it's not like this studio closer was a major shock. I think we're all hoping for a merger or buyout at this point. I also hope everyone affected by this lands on their feet.

Dustin, you're really talented I'm sure you'll find something pretty quickly.

:)

THQ is hardly a fledgling publisher. 5 years ago they had a market cap of 2 billion with a stock price of $35/share. I don't think the fact that THQ is obviously in dire straits makes their attempt to bury a studio closure in the E3 announcements, or their announcement to their employees via public announcement of a lost license, honorable or honest measures.

The writing has been on the wall for a while, but when you're on the inside of THQ they feed a very consistent company line that "you're safe, it's those other guys, don't worry!" and when you're crunching long hours to ship a title that you're told the entire publisher is depending on, it's hard to find the selfishness required to look out for yourself first.

This is only a well-handled studio closure in comparison to 38's horrific fuckup, and that's a poor metric to hold people to.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    True enough. I mean I obviously don't know the entire story. Being former THQ employee, you're very much more likely in the know than I am.

I'm just not one to assume it was a well-timed studio closure to avoid the pitchforks. I think THQ is actually more worried about their imminent NASDAQ delisting, their fiscal losses this quarter reaching an insurmountable amount than the timing to avoiding a little bit of a PR issues.