Home General Discussion

Watch Dogs: Holy shit.

Replies

• Alberto Rdrgz
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    Stinger88 wrote: »
    Games aren't big enough to allow as much freedom as this trailer eludes to.

stinger, you never know! :D
    honestly, i was really just impressed with the environment work and the character work for the pedestrians and nightclub patrons. It looked so good and like they actually belonged doing what they were doing respectively.
  • Stinger88
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Well. I do hope I'm wrong. I'd love to have that much freedom and I hope it delivers. But you always need to take these trailers with a pinch of salt.
  • PaulP
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulP polycounter lvl 9
    Damn, this looks tasty! I hope the hacking stays fun and fresh through-out the game
  • 3DKnight
    Offline / Send Message
    3DKnight polycounter lvl 17
    haha I loved the paradox in the traffic accident. Cause a massive pileup and start a crossfire shootout with innocent people in the middle. You cause a man wife to get shot in the head, but you're a good guy because you spent a second saving the husband.

I don't know, For current gen console, it either will be very linear or very down rezzed. A lot of complicated shaders for selling dynamic rain. It is probably a scripted event like in Heavy Rain (lonely basketball).

There is no way you can get that quality in a free roaming GTA sized world. GTA was very very muddy to support the size.

The gameplay looks cool though. However, i remember getting excited about heavy rain, but it was very very linear.
  • glottis8
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    This is hands down best of E3 right there... and The Last of Us really blew my mind... but this one is just fresh and new. Reminds me of the Conversation. This guy was Gene Hackman and this would be 100 times better hehe. But really.. where did this come from? what is going on?

I think you have a point... is this linear? it doesn't seem to be... they really do give the impression that its sand box. I hope they can keep that quality across the game. I am thrilled about the story, and what is going on, and the premise. A really knockout this game.
  • PixelMasher
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    I cant say shit obviously, but I have a buddy on that project and every time I go down to see what hes up to, my jaw drops. very very cool.
  • xvampire
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    edit :
    wrong post thread nvm ....

btw the other thing that makes me impressed is distinct character animation in one screen.
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Best bit was the car vault at 7:45, so cool :D
  • Benton
    That looked

AMAZING
  • Inhert
    Offline / Send Message
    Inhert polycounter lvl 9
    Is it just me or is the setting for this game look like it is in Chicago? The first few shots in the game seem to indicate it.
  • Aigik
    Inhert wrote: »
    Is it just me or is the setting for this game look like it is in Chicago? The first few shots in the game seem to indicate it.

As a native of Chicago, absolutely. The bridges are what gave it away, plus the L. I also saw these buildings toward the beginning of the trailer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marina_City

I'm so excited for this game. :)
  • jjsuperspy
    Offline / Send Message
    jjsuperspy polycounter lvl 8
    when i was watching it live on game trailer i was like OMG OMG OMG :DDDDDDDDDDDDDDD http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/119/924/sweetjesus.jpg?1304464078

i just want to see more of it and theres something not right with the main character wearing a coat like that :/ but anyway CAN NOT WAIT for this game, its a really good change from kind of games that where getting now, the game is a good refresh from the games that we are getting :D
  • Lord McMutton
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord McMutton polycounter lvl 17
    Person of Interest, the game?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBfVndEtDyY"]Person of Interest - Opening Credits - YouTube[/ame]
    (The text is mirrored)
  • Computron
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    Hopefully the main character is as bad-ass as Micheal Emerson.
  • [iWi]
    hm , loks good ; waiting for a real story ! At the video I'"ve found funny the big rain even under "metro bridge" .... :thumbdown:
    ('bout 6 min)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=FcMRkyoHKeA
  • walreu
    This was definetly one of the highlights of E3 conferences. The way the people move and act in that indoor environment blew my mind. That's next gen for me, not just flashy graphics. Same applies to the Last of Us bit where the girl speaks and moves naturally. And attacks the enemy when needed. Next gen shit!
  • jjsuperspy
    Offline / Send Message
    jjsuperspy polycounter lvl 8
    apparently its on xbox 360, PS3 and PC so its not next gen but my god have they made it look good for current gen hardware :DDDDD
  • mLichy
    Yeah, some badass shit this year. I CANT WAIT
  • xvampire
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2012-watch-dogs/731065
    trailer . not a gameplay footage but it tells about what is going on
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    I agree that I'd like to see vids of other solutions to issues. Like with the intersection - could I just have opened fire on the car without stopping it? Could I have pushed a civilian into the path of the truck to stop it? Multiple choices would be nice to see played out.
  • Trappe
    Am I the only one who was disappointed when the guy pulled a gun and started shooting?
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Offline / Send Message
    ^it was weird, it broke the realism for me. but i think they were trying to show how much it escalates?
  • rooster
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    @trappe: naw, I kinda felt that way too- actually when he pulled the baton and beat the crap out of the guard.. I thought he was going to be more nerdy and find a clever way out. Aaanyway still looks sweet
  • ebagg
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Seems like they took all the tech going into the Assassin's Creed engine, up rezzed it with new effects and made this insanely good looking game! Looks so damn amazing, and cannot wait to see how much fun can be had with the hacking mechanic!
  • -Joe-
    Does anyone knows what engine will the game be using? My friend told me its using UE4? :O
  • Ark
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Heard it's AnvilNext.
  • BradK
    Offline / Send Message
    BradK null
    No it is not UE4 or a version of Anvil, it is another internal engine. Here at Ubi Montreal we have 2 main in house engines that foster some healthy competition.

I got to check out the demo myself last week, and trust me it's even more impressive when you see in person at full resolution.
    The WD team is super pumped from all the E3 buzz, and have big plans to push the game much further.
  • glottis8
    Offline / Send Message
    woooooooo! i see all the potential on this game and its reassuring to see this kind of comment from personal exp. I am really pumped for this game hehe
  • Envart
    Offline / Send Message
    Envart polycounter lvl 6
    This game looks absolutely amazing. I love the dialogue between the protagonist and his associate, it's a really great exchange between the two. Really looking forward to seeing how this expands and learning about how the players will be interacting. Does anyone have an idea when the release date is? I hope it's this year.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Offline / Send Message
    BradK wrote: »
    No it is not UE4 or a version of Anvil, it is another internal engine. Here at Ubi Montreal we have 2 main in house engines that foster some healthy competition.

I got to check out the demo myself last week, and trust me it's even more impressive when you see in person at full resolution.
    The WD team is super pumped from all the E3 buzz, and have big plans to push the game much further.

iiiit's probably anvil updated. :P

btw, im so jelly u got up close to it...
  • glottis8
    Offline / Send Message
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/06/07/hackers-paradise-ubisoft-on-watch-dogs/

this game just keeps getting better and better. This is a great interview... with some insight to what the devs are trying to do. It is really exciting to see the side quests that open up with you hacking, or following you own leads. I think this is the game that had the most potential, and to see this coming from the devs is quite reassuring. Of course i won't know until i see it 1st hand, but for now i can say i am pretty pumped for this game.
    RPS: The press conference demo ended with a zoom-out to a different character whose objective was to defend [main character] Pearce. What was happening there? Was it some form of co-op?
    Dominic Guay: Yeah, it was actually me playing another character. So I was basically jumping into his adventure having my own objective, and we crossed paths physically. So we’re not giving all details on what we’re doing with multiplayer, but I’m totally OK with sharing our mission statement.
    It’s a bit presumptuous, but we feel that – in action-adventure games – the way multiplayer and single-player blend is a bit broken. You have a great adventure on one side, and then a lobby and a deathmatch and an arena on the other. We want to fix that, so we’re really focused on making a consistent universe where you’re focused, immersed, free to go wherever you want, and when you play with other people, you keep all of that. You keep quality, the ability to choose where you go, etc. So what you saw there was a little piece of how two players can meet and exchange goals in the game.
  • ZacD
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
  • imyj
    Offline / Send Message
    imyj polycounter lvl 8
  • ZacD
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I thought it was GTA IV with graphics mods and some post photoshop at first.
  • PogoP
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    That looks amazing! :D
  • Stinger88
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Very nice. But i'll be very surprised if there isn't at least a little photoshop in there.
  • JasonLavoie
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Stinger88 wrote: »
    Very nice. But i'll be very surprised if there isn't at least a little photoshop in there.

Just a litttllllee? :P

Very excited for this game, looking forward to seeing some new media :poly142:
  • Snacuum
    Offline / Send Message
    Snacuum polycounter lvl 9
    I'm incredibly sceptical. From a designer's perspective, in the E3 demo the last scene after the guy leaves the building to set up the traffic lights, it looks like a dynamic systems nightmare. I am simply befuddled as to how one could create that situation and have it play out so smoothly without heavily scripted events. Then attempting to believe there's multiplayer on top of that? I'll believe it when I play it.
  • Tairii
    Offline / Send Message
    Tairii polycounter lvl 9
    Snacuum wrote: »
    I'm incredibly sceptical. From a designer's perspective, in the E3 demo the last scene after the guy leaves the building to set up the traffic lights, it looks like a dynamic systems nightmare. I am simply befuddled as to how one could create that situation and have it play out so smoothly without heavily scripted events. Then attempting to believe there's multiplayer on top of that? I'll believe it when I play it.

Programmers are getting insane nowadays. Either that, or my lack of programming knowledge is getting the best of me.
  • ZacD
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    The gameplay had to be scripted or they did a bunch of takes.

From the initial crash, it shows innocent people making sure each other was okay, you pull someone out of a car and then them to be careful, and the game is smart enough to not have you just get into the car. It has a chance to show off hood sliding and the gas station blows up at the perfect time and angle on camera.

I'd love to see a sandbox city that had AI this good and this amount of people on screen, I could see it be possible to have something like it that's dynamic, but there's a lot of states that the generic people would need to have. GTA IV has 4, running away in fear, attacking you, passive, and injured. AI helping fellow AI feels really human.
  • Snacuum
    Offline / Send Message
    The gameplay had to be scripted or they did a bunch of takes.
    That's what annoys me, because to me that's almost as bad as when Killzone 2 used prerendered footage claiming it was in game. That was a big deal then and is totally why most devs put disclaimers on their trailers stating if it's realtime or not. I'm starting to wonder if we'll need disclaimers stating "this is totally possible in the game"

The systems in place there are just ridiculous, and I'll only really believe them if they can show different outcomes for the mission using the same tools. The traffic lights will be an independent system but to set up that scene the player MUST initiate it with the timing necessary to catch his target. Then after the physics settle down the enemy AI has to detect the hostility of the situation and then commence battle rules upon totally dynamic objects. While this is happening the NPC AI has to deal with a multitude of incredibly specific scenarios . The controls must be streamlined enough to make sure that their actions are properly interpreted in such a busy scene. The station blowing up was really easy but THEN there's a set of dynamic cutscenes for capturing his target? I mean what would've happened if the target got out of his car? Or if you let him get to the club? Or even just missed the opportunity to make him crash? Or even better, what if you did it just like in the trailer BUT his car was a bit more to the left or right? You can't get such a perfectly shot piece of narrative out of that many variables.

And when I first saw that trailer I totally thought it was all single-player but with multiple characters, and now they expect me to believe there's some kind of multiplayer happening there?
  • ambershee
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    The way I see it, it's a scripted scenario with a large number of variables. The outcome is entirely dependant on the player actions. The car was in the right place at the right time because the player elected to play with the traffic lights. It's not timing or coincidence, it's guaranteed to happen because of fiddling with the lights.
  • Snacuum
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee wrote: »
    The way I see it, it's a scripted scenario with a large number of variables. The outcome is entirely dependant on the player actions. The car was in the right place at the right time because the player elected to play with the traffic lights. It's not timing or coincidence, it's guaranteed to happen because of fiddling with the lights.

I agree that that is how it will work, but that also concerns me, because that's certainly not how they made it look. If it is the only fashion light tampering would work then that drastically contracts the scope of that gameplay system, as well as any missions involving it.

Just like how the original Assassin's Creed implied that all the side missions would be dynamic actions, but instead they were the same actions repetitively. What I mean is that while the scene in the trailer looked bombastic and fun, I don't want the "light tampering" skill to be nothing but a net to catch baddies in and have the same shootouts every time.
  • katana
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    I think I would rather wait for GTA V.
  • glottis8
    Offline / Send Message
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HbBxtmCCaI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HbBxtmCCaI[/ame]

This popped up... they say its a live demo, but i am pretty sure they have shown the first 2 mission somewhere else... but the third part of the demo with the multiplayer aspect of the game is very very interesting.

Still.. the game looks really pretty.. and i am enthralled by all the animation details they have in the game.
  • Brygelsmack
    Offline / Send Message
    Brygelsmack polycounter lvl 11
    All that repetitive hacking is going to get extremely tedious.
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Wow, looks really impressive, can't wait for it :)
  • glottis8
  • NegevPro
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    Everything looks so amazing! I'm not a huge fan of open world games but I'll definitely be picking up the PC version when it comes out, I just hope my PC doesn't explode while trying to run the game at medium settings.
  • Blond
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9
    Yeh, I've just seen it. Incredible job.

The art and tech team really went all out.