Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Concept Arts

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
Greetings Polycount;

Usually I do not post my stuff around because whatever critique I need I just get it from the PCU (Skype community organized by LRoy; Polycount University.)

I usually draw thumbnails (very very rough ones,) ink them randomly and pick either the contents from the thumbnails or try to create one thumbnail as best as I can. Then I rip them off when I am done with them and keep the final pieces. Since there is no one on in the community at the moment I am self-forced to post my work here to get critiques and comments about the WIPs and close to complete work that I have been doing. Also, it will prove that I actually work on the 2d/3d stuff and not here only for fun.

Here is my work so far:

zwXc8l.jpg

zJLSAl.jpg

YYfAzl.jpg

HH3KSl.jpg

Anyways; Keep in mind that I have no intention to sell my concept art at the moment as I am still practicing and feel that I am not at that industrial standards' level. I still believe there is alot to learn. I am still figuring out the style of 2d art that will adapt to and keep at it.

Anyways, CnC will be really appreciated.

Thanks. :)

Replies

• DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, seriously?
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog polycounter lvl 8
    Nitewalkr wrote: »
    Wow, seriously?

Problem?

Nice looking sculpt so far, keep it up sir. Clothing wrinkles could use some refinement
  • dii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dii
    It's not surprising you didn't get many comments... your work is extremely stylized which makes it hard to give technical feedback and giving design feedback is hard because most of it just comes down to "looks bad because of x imo" There aren't a whole lot of rules to design, just suggestions. If you want better advice you should state what it is you're trying to accomplish, a little background on the character/setting and the type of style you're after.

Plus in my experience people won't usually comment if the only thing they have to say is "study more stuff" which is how most of this post could be summarized...

My opinion is that the design looks very... tacky. You've got very large boots (a recurring theme in your work) with a really primitive loincloth outfit, it's very reminiscent of what Sean Connery wore in Zardoz. People have not been wearing clothing like that since caveman days when no onw had any notion of what stitching was; Which is I great if this character is a cavewoman but you posted no information on it so who knows. In my opinion the best way to get an interesting outfit is to find a nice balance between draped cloth pieces and fitted sewn pieces an duse a good mix of materials/shapes.

Like I pointed out, you've got a habit of overemphasizing the lower body by making big ass shoes/boots... Again this is "looks bad cause of x" advice but I would generally advise you try to call as little attention to the lower body as possible and definitely avoid making shoes too big unless your character is extremely bulky. When you put "heavy" looking shoes on a slender woman you run the risk of making the figure look disproportionate/unbalanced because its expected that the body is going to taper at the limbs.

Do more figure drawing, a lot more. Study clothing. Don't just look at clothing, think about how it works. Pay special attention to what kinds and how much of specific types of clothing people use in their designs. How much draped cloth is there? How much is tight and fitted to the body? How thick is the fabric? How many different types of fabric are there? And think a lot about if you have an aesthetic balance of values, details, proportions, colors, etc in your design. If you aren't sure then you probably need to do more studies.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for the critiques.

These two sketches are the first ones that I finalized before I actually dive in to 3d and start making them. I already started working on the female but as you can see the clothes and other stuff of this female character is yet to be remade.

I'll try to follow up on your crits as much as I can. Thanks again.