Home Dota 2

Dota 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• lancemaker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How can i get the key to this game ? Ive submitted the survey a month ago, and still no sucess. I have a concept ready and after reading this post im upset becouse i cant submit it couse i need to have the game to do so. Thats so boring ...
  • Robbyh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lancemaker You can buy it.
  • lancemaker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Robbyh wrote: »
    lancemaker You can buy it.
    just tell me where can i buy it.
  • darkripper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lancemaker wrote: »
    just tell me where can i buy it.

you can get an invite and some items in the store for 30€.
  • darkripper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I solved the material missing by fixing the directory structure in my Qc file!

also, I've found out a little trick for heroes like CK that are yet to get separate parts.
    If you edit the .VMT for the item you want to hide, you can put the command $alpha 0 and it will make that item invisible, this should work as long as that specific item has a separate material from the main hero model (which should almost always be the case I think). This work like a charm, and is much faster than re-compiling the hero without the weapons.

ozr6u.jpg
  • crazyone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyone polycounter lvl 5
    darkripper wrote: »
    I solved the material missing by fixing the directory structure in my Qc file!

also, I've found out a little trick for heroes like CK that are yet to get separate parts.
    If you edit the .VMT for the item you want to hide, you can put the command $alpha 0 and it will make that item invisible, this should work as long as that specific item has a separate material from the main hero model (which should almost always be the case I think). This work like a charm, and is much faster than re-compiling the hero without the weapons.

ozr6u.jpg

Nice , how did you created VTF format files ? (I mean the import options and settings) by the way here's something I made:

lbIJo.jpg
    OFBf1.gif
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=79419698&searchtext=

Have anyone sucesfully tested models in new dota2 test mode ? I can see my model in Alien Swarm - SDK but it's empty in dota2 viewer...
  • darkripper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyone wrote: »
    Nice , how did you created VTF format files ? (I mean the import options and settings).

The VMT I copied it straight from the base weapon material of the hero, and adding the links to the various vtfs for color, normal, etc.
    I created the VTFs with Nem's Tools, by leaving everything standard. Don't know if that's the correct way to do it, but seems to work fine.

By the way, here's the link to my workshop submission. I'm going to change the texture quite a bit, but I'd love some feedback.. I'm kinda of a crappy texturer.
  • jwest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys, this thread is awesome!
    Some really good submissions so far.

This is what I've been working on for the Tidehunter.

Let me know what you think, I've never submitted anything before but am reading up a lot on how to do it. I tried to meet the polygon and texture size requirements. I don't really understand the whole compiling part of it or even if I have to do it for a single weapon but i'm going to give it a try.

Tidehunter_Axe_Sub02.jpg

Tidehunter_Axe_Sub01.jpg

TideHunter_Axe_Color.jpg

Thanks!
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    jwest wrote: »
    This is what I've been working on for the Tidehunter.
    Thanks!

AWESOME work jwest,i loved the concept and the texture.
    That purple light gave a really nice look to the blade
  • fierce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jwest, what did you use, zbrush?
  • jwest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No zbrush, just a simple highpoly to bake the normals and then I handpainted the rest of the detail, in the future I would like to use zbrush as soon as I can get my hands on a working copy.
  • jwest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto wrote: »
    AWESOME work jwest,i loved the concept and the texture.
    That purple light gave a really nice look to the blade

Thanks man!
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    let us know when you submit it to vote at the workshop, i would really like to have this axe =]
  • Sparr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sparr polycounter lvl 12
    How big can an item be? I don't really have any idea what I'm doing on all fronts, but I wanted to try making a hat for Tidehunter based on the giant extinct fish, dunklesteus. Here's what I had so far...
    Aeylv.jpg
    0PO83.jpg
    StQY0.jpg
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    @jwest: Great axe, but why put it on tidehunter? Doesn't really have a nautical theme to it. Seems like it'd be a perfect match for beastmaster, especially if you modified the skull a little to be more of a cow skull. He's not modifiable yet but i'd imagine he will be in the near future considering he recently got a cosmetic touch up.

@sparr: The general rule of thumb for item size is to not expand a heroes selection box. An item like this I'm pretty sure would be extending his visible area too far above and would create selection issues, unfortunately.

Something like this for comparison's sake would be much more acceptable:
    Dota2_TH_NormalSkull.jpg
    More importantly it doesn't read very well. It's hard to tell what it is at first glance without explanation. I'd ditch the lower jaw and work on making the item sit better on the top of his head while better defining key structures like eyes and teeth. Try to make the item really feel attached to the character. 1 more thing the detailing looks a little bit too high and could look noisy when zoomed out.
  • fierce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyone wrote: »
    jwest wrote: »

Tidehunter_Axe_Sub02.jpg[IMG][/img]Tidehunter_Axe_Sub01.jpg[IMG][/img]TideHunter_Axe_Color.jpgThanks!

i wish i could texture like you two

are there any guides for this?
  • Tvidotto
  • Mark.N
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, after playing around with the SFM (Source Filmmaker) beta a bit today I noticed that it came with an updated version of the SourceSDK (at least as up to date as CS:GO's it seems (maybe more?)) and it seems to work a bit better than the Alien Swarm SDK for viewing Dota 2 models.

It's a pretty basic install and follows more or less the same setup as if you were using the Alien Swarm SDK. You will need GCFScape installed in order to extract your Dota 2 files (details on how to do that can be found in comfy blanket's post).

1: Install SFM and Launch the SDK
    2: Create a new mod titled dota 2 beta
    3: Click 'Open Game Directory in Explorer' & extract all your Dota 2 files into this folder (Don't worry about overwriting anything)
    4: Restart the SFM SDK, select dota 2 beta from the mods dropdown located at the bottom of the list, fire up the model viewer and you're good to go!

Since it seems like Valve is handing out more SFM betas than CS:GO betas this could make for a good alternative and allow those in the beta access to a more advanced version of the model viewer than the Alien Swarm SDK provides.

Give it a shot and see how well it works for you
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah that's really good to know Mark, personally going to be trying to get my set in engine soon for some higher end tweaks. Speaking of which could use some feedback from you guys:

v8hkg.jpg

Pretty happy with where it's at right now but i sorta feel like the set lacks a bit of oompf and not really sure how i should go about adding it. Haven't really started on the textures just yet wanted to get some feedback.

Any suggestions/ crits appreciated!
  • Sn1pe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sn1pe polycounter lvl 9
    Hey everyone, just figured I'd drop by and make a post here on this thread, I made a taunt for Rubick and wanted to share it, maybe hear out some thoughts as I like hearing what crits people have to offer.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=79827763

Also, if anyone is making an item that would change a hero's animations or a new courier, I would be glad to help you with the rigging/animations. Thanks!
  • Walgrind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Walgrind polycounter lvl 9
    Hi !

I just finish my Raven BloodSeeker .
    12070405535112290910062456.jpg

I skin the differents items ( lod 0 and lod 1 ) i make the texture as valve want but i don't know how submit my work if i had create a bundle ( all items in one file or each items one by one )
    I have no idea to how compile my models and materials, i dont know how export in .mdl .
    If someone can help to show how submit..

good job to everyone
  • Tdank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That looks great Walgrind, unfortunately I can't offer any help with submitting it as I am completely new to this process as well.

In fact I have a question regarding the weighting on the .ma files valve has made available. On some of the characters the weighting is a little off (points being pulled on the left leg when adducting/abducting the right). When/if I get around to trying to submit something, would I have to correct these weights or is my sole concern the weighting on the objects I've created?

Sorry if this has already been covered in this thread, I've skimmed it over a few times but I may have missed it.
  • Twoflower
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome walgrind ^^
  • Archimedes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am working on a set for Kunkka inspired by Skies of Arcadia on the Dreamcast, what do you guys think?

Blue Rogue's Moonstone Monacle:

[url]rvIVh.jpg[/url]

I am having a lot of trouble exporting the smd files and with the source sdk maya plugins and proll's plugins, is there an updated tutorial for exporting from maya 2012 to the dota workshop?
  • aivanov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aivanov polycounter lvl 5
    @Walgrind, the items would need in separate files - and if we take the Accepted part of the Dota Workshop as any indication, you will want to submit each item separately as well.

First, what modeling program are you using? You're gonna need to get some SMD exporter/importer plugins for it. To compile MDLs out of SMDs is a whole 'nother can of worms - a quick Google yielded this [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTY0U8UL8Ts"]tutorial[/ame] (watch from 12:00 onward, the tutorial itself is for 3ds Max, but compiling is modeling program-independent.)

As for how to structure the zip file for each submission, check the 'General Submission Requirements' section here.
    Tdank wrote: »
    In fact I have a question regarding the weighting on the .ma files valve has made available. On some of the characters the weighting is a little off (points being pulled on the left leg when adducting/abducting the right). When/if I get around to trying to submit something, would I have to correct these weights or is my sole concern the weighting on the objects I've created?

I've noticed the source files that Valve provides are actually slightly different than the final in-game ones when de-compiled; including differences in bones and geometry. I'd say, go ahead and try your best to correct any errant weighing (on YOUR items only), as the weighing in the provided sources is being animated by a slightly different version of the skeleton/weighing that's present in the game files. The best way to pre-empt this is to use the bone structure/weighing of a decompiled version of the model so that everything is in sync.
  • Clark Coots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clark Coots polycounter lvl 12
    Walgrind thats an awesome Bloodseeker outfit, nice work! deserves to be in the game
  • Hawt Koffee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawt Koffee polycounter lvl 13
    tumblr_m6o218ooSL1r43xj0o1_500.jpg
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=80214424&searchtext=

Finally finished my Eastern Desperado Set

Hope you guys all like it :)
  • TortillaChips
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TortillaChips polycounter lvl 10
    Hmm, I've noticed they've put some models into dota, still unreleased but in the files. I have to say they look a bit different, for one I thought you were only supposed to have one smoothing group, but then it definitely seems to look like they've been added afterwards. I'm not sure the mask textures are on either.

weapon_trispear_large.png

http://www.cyborgmatt.com/2012/07/dota-2-4th-july/
  • Mark.N
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I figured it's about time I jumped onto this bandwagon and first up is a new lance for Phantom Lancer - a Feathered Naginata.

Current paintover of how I'm thinking to texture it, I'll probably crank through a few more iterations of color variations after I get back from Costco.
    bkXKS.jpg?1

Has anyone given jigglebones a try to see if their supported with Dota 2 submissions? I'm assuming they are, but haven't got around to testing it myself yet.

@walgrind - Absolutely amazing, it fits Bloodseeker extremely well.

@Crazy - I've been torn over your Drow set. Part of me really loves the original concept that sort of looked like icy obsidian (although I almost feel as if all that detail would be lost in game :( ) and the other half of me really enjoys the current model. That being said I think the current texture comes across as far too blurry and lacks definition because of it. Perhaps try blending the two ideas - taking the textured look of your concept and merge it with the current models?

Also congrats to everyone who seems to have had their items 'unofficially' added in that last patch.
  • EVIL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    started about an hour yesterday blocking out a samurai themed item set

axe_01.jpg

edit: going to use this as a base for a paint over after reading all the pdf's this is purely to block out some shapes, havent thought out the colouring yet
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    So, I can't really find info on it anywhere, but are we able to submit items from any of the characters that we can pull from the compiler? The tech requirements only list twelve characters on the dota 2 site, but I have seen things being uploaded for any number of the others. I've started hashing out a set for the Death Prophet in the mean time, I'm just not sure what to do with it once I finish.

DeathGoddessHorns02.jpg
  • Archimedes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I mentioned i was having some trouble earlier with exporting smd and compiling to mdl format. I can see my model in the alien swarm model viewer, but not when i go to test it in the dota publish tab. Has anybody else been in a similar situation?
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys

i have a question about the couriers and mounted animals animations, im not sure about the courrier but the mounted animals, like on the Luna char, they look to the side they are changing the direction of the movement

i was trying to find what does that and i didnt found anything checking the valve documentation
    i was expecting that they were controlling some bone, using a blend shape or blendin two animations

studying the donkey model on the npc build guide, i found on the run cycle two frame with the character looking to the side
    donkeydota.jpg

anyone have some information on how they do that in game and if they do a blend between the two animation (run and looking to the side) what are the names of the files?

thanks
  • penOr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    penOr polycounter lvl 7
    Hey guys, found your thread on my internet travels, some awesome work in here!

I've had a go at creating some models, but when it comes to doing the UV map and texturing, I have 0 knowledge. A lot of you guys have some awesome textures that suite the style of the game so well and I was hoping someone could point me to a few decent UV mapping tutorials and texturing tutorials (even better if they're game related!).

I'd like to contribute to the dota 2 store, and post here in the future, but I have a lot to learn before doing either :P.

Thanks in advance!
  • tjallen8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys,

I don't do any 3D modelling, although I enjoy sharing ideas with people in the Steam workshop. I have a concept for a Broodmother set that I wanted to share with you all. I was trying to get a modeller to go with my idea but he ended up not using it, and I didn't want it to go to waste.

I just want to be really clear about what is my own work, and what isn't. The helmet/back armour was designed by ZzREDzZ, so I'm NOT suggesting that you design that, just ignore it. (Or do your own take on it)
    His workshop page is here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=80026977

So, my idea was to expand on the armour theme and to do some leg plates.

Basically, the plates follow the natural spikey look of Brood's legs. I've tried to make them light-looking, so not big and bulky.

broodlegplatesfront2.jpg
    broodlegplates2.jpg

I know, I'm horrific at drawing. But if anyone sees that and feels inspired to make something out of it, feel free. If you do, let me know as I'd love to see it in 3D!
  • SinAmos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great stuff guys. Seriously. Walgrind. That is a sweet bloodseeker outfit. Is that new modeled or just a skin paint?

Guys, I just uploaded my set and I strictly submitted source files of OBJs and TGAs. I also talked to the MAYA to Source Tutorial creator Nauz to see if he would write up a DOTA 2 specific compile setup, as the file structures are different and it could be helpful for item testing. I could probably write one myself, but I need to get back to some other work.

Everyone please vote on my set.

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198027821726/myworkshopfiles?appid=570

637x358.resizedimage637x358.resizedimage
    637x358.resizedimage

637x358.resizedimage
    637x358.resizedimage
    637x358.resizedimage
    637x358.resizedimage
    There are five items in all. Thanks.
  • OpethRockr55
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys

i have a question about the couriers and mounted animals animations, im not sure about the courrier but the mounted animals, like on the Luna char, they look to the side they are changing the direction of the movement

i was trying to find what does that and i didnt found anything checking the valve documentation
    i was expecting that they were controlling some bone, using a blend shape or blendin two animations

studying the donkey model on the npc build guide, i found on the run cycle two frame with the character looking to the side
    donkeydota.jpg

anyone have some information on how they do that in game and if they do a blend between the two animation (run and looking to the side) what are the names of the files?

thanks

You'll need to use a sequence blend: https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Blend_sequence

Your .qc will look something like this (UNTESTED, SO NO PROMISES):
    //Model definition Stuff ^
    // Ground animation requirements
    $sequence run "run.smd" fps 30
    $sequence idle "idle.smd" fps 30
    $sequence death "death.smd" fps 30
    $sequence spawn "spawn.smd" fps 30

// Animation Blending begins

// First, define the three states you want to blend

$animation turn_right "turn_right.smd" // Single frame animation SMD at maximum turn right
    $animation turn_no "turn_no.smd" // Single frame animation SMD going straight
    $animation turn_left "turn_left.smd" // Single frame animation SMD at max turn left

// Then, tell the compiler that you want to mesh these together

$sequence turning {
        turn_left turn_no turn_right      // Creates a [3, 1] array of animations to blend from

blendwidth 3      // Basically sets the array into a coordinate system, making turn_no (0,0)
        blend turning -1 1       // Tells the blend which coordinates in that system to be able to choose from.
                                 // (-1, 0) is completely turned left, (1, 0) is completely turned right.
    }

And that might do it.

Just make sure your turning slider in the Model Viewer operates the same as the default courier. If it's backwards, then you'll be turning left when he's actually turning right, making for some sick drifting.
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You'll need to use a sequence blend: https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Blend_sequence

Great OpethRockr

i was testing the turn slider on the alienswarm SDK and its exactly that.

on the mirana char, apparently it have an animation called turns with all the states, in your example there is 3 smds for the 3 states.

when exporting a smd is possible to define just a frame as a frame range?

for example, i have my turn left at the end of my run, can i export the run.smd, the turn_right and turn_left.smd from one single file?

and really thanks for you reply, i think it wraps everything i wanted to know to start a corrier =]
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    When you submit something to the workshop, does it go up almost immediately or does it take a certain amount of time? I tried to submit last night but it looks like there may have been some error as there is nothing listed in my workshop files.
  • OpethRockr55
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great OpethRockr

i was testing the turn slider on the alienswarm SDK and its exactly that.

on the mirana char, apparently it have an animation called turns with all the states, in your example there is 3 smds for the 3 states.

when exporting a smd is possible to define just a frame as a frame range?

for example, i have my turn left at the end of my run, can i export the run.smd, the turn_right and turn_left.smd from one single file?

and really thanks for you reply, i think it wraps everything i wanted to know to start a corrier =]

Yes, it is entirely possible (and smarter) to export a single SMD with those three states inside.

First, export a three frame SMD with the states, and define your animations thusly:
    $animation turn_left "turns_all.smd" frame 1
    $animation turn_no "turns_all.smd" frame 2
    $animation turn_right "turns_all.smd" frame 3

Order is arbitrary: you could have turn_no be frame 1 or whatever. Everything else should be the same.
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=80497448&searchtext=

Submitted the horns again and it worked this time around. Although, I am getting some hate from people already it would seem. Anyways, if it strikes you as something you'd like, give it some upvotes.
  • SinAmos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @praetus

Expect the hate. Most can't do, so that is all they have.
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus wrote: »
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=80497448&searchtext=

Submitted the horns again and it worked this time around. Although, I am getting some hate from people already it would seem. Anyways, if it strikes you as something you'd like, give it some upvotes.

it just need the first to say something negative to make the others follow...

i commented there, hope that helps =]
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys, i need some help

im working on a courier, something like a chicken dragon, and i have some questions

(its just a blocked model with low details. The colors are just to separate the main parts)

1- do you guys think this one could fit on the Dota universe? i saw some cute couriers that made me think that something more "cartoony" would fit

2 - the chicken legs, works? maybe longer? or maybe cut it of and return to a normal dragon leg?

3 - any sugestion?

thanks!

color3.jpg
    color2.jpg
    color1.jpg
  • Walgrind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Walgrind polycounter lvl 9
    I like very much your courier , his shape and his style, it's very "dota" like ,don't worry.
    Its legs are maybe too "stick" (more meat in the thighs) but if its legs are more ckicken you can scale his feet (more assumed and exaggerated ) like this

In dota a "courier" walk on the map at his first lvl and flight after upgrade, so your dragon must walk (with his wings closed maybe) and flight after.(and request to Valve that they musn't add white wings on your dragon)

I look forward to see your futur work ! =)
  • Twoflower
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Working on a hammer for omniknight. feedback mucho appreciated
    8HpZe.jpg

need to make an emissiv map for it but don't know how mask_1 and mask_2 works yet
  • EVIL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    Twoflower wrote: »
    Working on a hammer for omniknight. feedback mucho appreciated
    8HpZe.jpg

need to make an emissiv map for it but don't know how mask_1 and mask_2 works yet

its explained here:
    http://www.dota2.com/workshop/requirements

basically you need to put your emissive mask in the alpha channel of mask1.tga (you cant use colour obviously)
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    I was under the impression that painting an emiss map in mask1.tga would pull the color of the light to be emitted from the corresponding color map. Is this correct or does painting an emiss map just mean that it's always 100% illuminated (inside the engine, that is) ?

Also, how strict is the poly budget on items? I'm something like 30 tris over the given number (as found on the official guidelines). Is it a hard cutoff or is it more of a guideline ?
  • innervision961
    So I'm working on this sword for either Kunkka or Tidehunter (probably fits better with Kunkka's lore) that I'm calling "sword of the nautilus". The idea is, it has somewhat of a ships helm design on the hilt, and will have some spiral "nautilus" designs on the texture. Do you guys this I should even bother finishing/submitting this? I feel like I have art block :/

XD26S.jpg
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Twoflower I really like the hammer, the handle is the weakest bit though, the spiral pattern just doesn't work well and lacks the hand painted quality the rest of it has. I think a flat texture with a bit of detailing at the top and bottom like the rest would work better.

The head of the hammer also looks a bit off, i'd remove the cracks from the corners and try to get a worn area where the hammer would actually be smacking things, maybe put some cracks there?