Home Dota 2

Dota 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• SemiColonThree
    I think you have been heavily misinformed. When esp sent them the ck set, Valve said it had to go under "quality control", meaning they have to approve the items before they go in. They also mentioned that the submissions would have to go through the workshop and receive good ratings as well. I sitll have no theory to why the penguin was accepted, but the Valve my brother and esp dealt with made it pretty clear they wouldnt just accept "any" items, they would have to be with good quality. and better choices for a ck set? is just an opinion like you said.... What isnt an opinion tho, is that this CK set has the most ratings compared to any other ck set on the workshop, so statistically speaking it is the most popular ck set on the workshop.
    Sukotto wrote: »
    I'm happy for him that the set got in sure, but there's issues that people have pointed out.

The problem I feel most people are having with the set is the fact that its old and the reason it got in (most likely) is that its attached to a tournament/team/whatever and was effectively put in only because of that connection. If Valve wanted to put a CK set in there are better choices IMO. While its nowhere near the bad quality of the penguin courier, the comparison is the same. The penguin was put in because it was attached to a team and not because it was a high quality piece, there are some amazing couriers still in the Workshop. Its a slippery slope that contributors don't want to be a part of...
  • AndrewHelenek
    Offline / Send Message
    AndrewHelenek polycounter lvl 6
    Look, thats my brothers set and I do agree that the horse has some uv space issues, but comparing it to the penguin is too far of an over-exaggeration, and you are just being rude. To be quite frank, I think the resolution on the horse is borderline acceptable to fit in the dota 2 realm. and not to mention, the resolution on every other slot seems flawless to me. From what I see, nobody is having a problem with this set besides you, a lot of people seem to be buying it as its #1 on top sellers.

The only comparison to the penquin that I made was the fact that both of the items were older items already presented on the workshop months ago. The quality isn't even the issue for me. Personally, I acutally like the set, it has a very cool bad ass feel that fits.

I was never being rude. My arguement is simply on the use of older items for esport orangizations and that in my opinion, feels cheap in comparison to working along with the content creators to create something designed specifically for it. And, personally, I feel it was and is a worthwhile and interesting discussion. And people have already brought up and shared fantastic points that have also slightly altered my own perspective on the issue.

:smokin:
  • SemiColonThree
    Alright, sorry just my misinterpretation. I thought u were just talking about the quality of it.
    The only comparison to the penquin that I made was the fact that both of the items were older items already presented on the workshop months ago. The quality isn't even the issue for me. Personally, I acutally like the set, it has a very cool bad ass feel that fits.

I was never being rude. My arguement is simply on the use of older items for esport orangizations and that in my opinion, feels cheap in comparison to working along with the content creators to create something designed specifically for it. And, personally, I feel it was and is a worthwhile and interesting discussion. And people have already brought up and shared fantastic points that have also slightly altered my own perspective on the issue.

:smokin:
  • AndrewHelenek
    Offline / Send Message
    How long should animations be (frames/sec)? I never found anything specifies the duration of animations.

They're isnt much information on the ablity ward. In reguards to couriers and wards, framecounts are never an issue. Ive had a 300 frame death animation, 1000 frame idle. 500 frame walk cycle.

As far as the ward goes, personally, I never saw any animations on any of them, I just assumed juggs ablity ward didn't support animation. Looks like its time to research the depths of dota.
  • kite212
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 polycounter lvl 15
    I'm having trouble on my death animation for my jug ward (ability modifier), it repeats itself 4.5 times before it actually dies. What do I do?

Looks like someone was having this exact issue in July
    http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?t=98466
  • Rubus
    Offline / Send Message
    Rubus polycounter lvl 5
    Alright, sorry just my misinterpretation. I thought u were just talking about the quality of it.

Even if he was - I was - there's nothing rude in thinking a set is not in good quality standards, nobody was resorting to personal attacks nor making criticism in an unrespectful way.

I still think the set design is good, but judging by the outer source renders used in the promo material and the overall good quality of accepted items it could've looked way better.

Good to know that being attached to a third party event isn't a free pass to the Shop, though, that changes things a lot.
  • SemiColonThree
    well yea. I only replied to his and not yours cause i "thought" he was comparing the penguin courier and his set in same realm of quality, was just a misinterpretation. Its totally fine if you think set could be better, I also think it could be better as well. I didnt really find his usage of UV space the best.
    Rubus wrote: »
    Even if he was - I was - there's nothing rude in thinking a set is not in good quality standards, nobody was resorting to personal attacks nor making criticism in an unrespectful way.

I still think the set design is good, but judging by the outer source renders used in the promo material and the overall good quality of accepted items it could've looked way better.

Good to know that being attached to a third party event isn't a free pass to the Shop, though, that changes things a lot.
  • Tamarin
    Offline / Send Message
    Tamarin polycounter lvl 17
    Everyone hating on the penguin. I'm going to make an apple and a window courier to complete the set. Alternatively a zombie Steve Jobs that gets more miniature every level-up and a Bill Gates with money effect that drains gold from your wallet any time you are near him - maybe causes your computer to crash at a pivotal moment.
  • Inertsia
    Does anyone know if it's possible to make items for Puck? I can't find the model for him anywhere so I assume you can't? But I know there is one item for Puck. Can someone please clarify if it is or isn't possible to make items for puck. Thank you!
  • Rubus
    Offline / Send Message
    Rubus polycounter lvl 5
    :D!!

I missed a blue screen of death effect on that Windows one, though, haha.

Edit: Ninja edit'd
  • Tamarin
    Offline / Send Message
    I usually stop after about 5 ninjas

Hey, if you want to vote up my new set please feel free to do so. I always feel weird when people ask me to vote up their stuff and I don't actually like it very much - and then I pretend that I voted it up - or I just don't respond. Am I am ass? I can honestly say I have never given a down vote because I know how much that kills when you put so much time into something. I don't give up votes out like candy either - maybe I need to be a little more liberal.
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    mR9LS2v.png

Still cleaning up and refining the shape a bit more. Looking a lot more badass now, thanks to Stefco's help :D
  • GhostDetector
    Offline / Send Message
    GhostDetector polycounter lvl 10
    kite212 wrote: »
    Looks like someone was having this exact issue in July
    http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?t=98466

Valve death animation : 13 frames
    Death animation : 35 frame

Valve Idle : 60
    My Idle : 60

Valve spawn: 60
    My spawn: 60

According to the link you provided, the problem was the decompiler. Should I just submit it and let valve take care of it?
  • GhostDetector
    Offline / Send Message
    Tamarin wrote: »
    I usually stop after about 5 ninjas

Hey, if you want to vote up my new set please feel free to do so. I always feel weird when people ask me to vote up their stuff and I don't actually like it very much - and then I pretend that I voted it up - or I just don't respond. Am I am ass? I can honestly say I have never given a down vote because I know how much that kills when you put so much time into something. I don't give up votes out like candy either - maybe I need to be a little more liberal.

I give upvotes to items that look good in-game.

I only give down votes to people who changed the entire hero (style, color) just for their set (like that anti mage set that NaVi made).
  • AndrewHelenek
    Offline / Send Message
    Tamarin wrote: »
    Everyone hating on the penguin. I'm going to make an apple and a window courier to complete the set. Alternatively a zombie Steve Jobs that gets more miniature every level-up and a Bill Gates with money effect that drains gold from your wallet any time you are near him - maybe causes your computer to crash at a pivotal moment.

applelinux.jpg

Missed opportunity for a Linux launch courier. :(
  • katzeimsack
    Offline / Send Message
    katzeimsack polycounter lvl 17
    Because of so many people liking it, I added an item to my pudge set

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=186504796

4F5905EB8D9A0349DD6A2748D380537369790AB9
  • kite212
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 polycounter lvl 15
    Just submitted my Ghost Spear!

Links to Workshop:
    GhostSpearPromo.jpg
  • Varecor
    wow_sets_paladin_T2_hd.jpg

idea for omniknight's set
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Varecor wrote: »
    wow_sets_paladin_T2_hd.jpg

idea for omniknight's set

That's not an idea for an Omniknight set. That's a suggestion to copy a WoW set into Dota2.
  • Oroboros
    You're joking, right?
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Offline / Send Message
    vlad_the_implyer polycounter lvl 5
    belkun wrote: »
    mR9LS2v.png

Still cleaning up and refining the shape a bit more. Looking a lot more badass now, thanks to Stefco's help :D
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Boonta
    Offline / Send Message
    Boonta polycounter lvl 13
    sick work bounch and polyoon! you got mah votes
  • BohSheh
    Offline / Send Message
    BohSheh polycounter lvl 9
    Hie guys I am currently new to dota2 workshop , may I know

1)Do we have to make whole set , or just part of it ( example weapon ) to be accepted by valve
    2)Did you guys got accepted ? or tried bunch of time but no result
    3)How much money did you all make from it ( Least amount )
  • Sayanora
    Offline / Send Message
    Sayanora polycounter lvl 11
    @ Boonta

Seconding that! Sick sick work from you guys.

Crossposting my SK weapon from my freshly minted workshop thread :D

sk_gc_ingame_screens.PNG
  • GhostDetector
    Offline / Send Message
    I keep having this import problem where my mesh is always on its side. Exporting worked fine yesterday with the default settings (blender) but when I imported my mesh today it had this offset. So can anybody tell me how to understand export coordinates, so I won't have to spend much time on this problem anymore?
    eierRX5.png
  • Sumers
    Offline / Send Message
    Sumers polycounter lvl 10
    hey guys.
    DFb1.jpg

ill add staff for shure if armor gets good feedback
  • Prosomogy
    What you think guys?:\
    doc47308563_230679543?hash=8db780b4875f62ad22&dl=90395260f84b654a58&wnd=1
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Yj61wK7.jpg

Any final thoughts before moving to retopo?
  • Tamarin
    Offline / Send Message
    The design doesn't make a lot of sense. The fabric that wraps around his shoulder is awkward - and the horns coming out of his arm? Why are they there?

The design also looks very flat.

This is my opinion but you might be better off taking a second one - my last 2 sets have hit the workshop like sacks of dog poo - so you might be better doing the exact opposite of what I tell you.
  • miguelfanclub
    Hey guys, sorry if this topic has been covered (i couldnt fint it).
    My question is about the polycount budget and specially about the lycantrophe weapon, it says lod0 must be 600, but original one is more than 800, it cannot even be exported into the game.

Is this an error?

Thanks!
  • Oroboros
    Sumers wrote: »
    hey guys.
    DFb1.jpg

ill add staff for shure if armor gets good feedback

I think it looks good man, just needs that staff and a nice illustration.
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Offline / Send Message
    Is this an error?
    No. Defaults don't follow the requirements both in tris or texture size limits.
  • miguelfanclub
    No. Defaults don't follow the requirements both in tris or texture size limits.

Thanks man
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    WIP of the CK set I've been working on with Slimeface. Still have a lot of tweaks to do with the bone. We're planning to submit on Sunday or Monday.

bloodknight_wip_01.jpg
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh boy, me and cottonwings finally did it!
    27CD1A8D0D3F8325A81B3BDA44E7CF35071DFDDF

It was challenging and i can't get enough of the end-result, cottonwings also did a stellar job on the concepts and the promos!
  • motenai
    Offline / Send Message
    motenai polycounter lvl 18
    Just finished my new set for Phantom Lancer.
    Teardrops of Elemental Ice

PL_final_promo.jpg
  • vertical
    Offline / Send Message
    vertical polycounter lvl 9
    Great work Vlad and motenai, as usual :P
  • vertical
    Offline / Send Message
    vertical polycounter lvl 9
    If anyone would, I'm having trouble exporting materials with StudioCompiler (I would like to try and update that piece of... software). I'm trying to export the materials of various sources but it keeps crashing when it asks me to specify the SDK path. Strange enough, model exports works flawlessly. What to do?
  • miguelfanclub
    Need help again guys. Tried to find the topic but no luck.

I have export the model inside dota, FBX load fine (with some problems in weights but ill fix it) but it doesnt show any textures on it, just the diffuse. I see no normal, no masks etc etc. TGA's files are fine but I cant see anything but the diffusse.

Thanks!
  • bounchfx
    Motenai that looks freaking awesome.
  • mihalceanu
    Offline / Send Message
    mihalceanu polycounter lvl 6
    Zipfinator : the face has some round/cuteish lines , and the eyes + teeths gives him the feeling of a laughter/happy expression . IMO the head of the horse kinda ruins the rest of the set ; gl with it :)

motenai : badass man :)

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-JBK7hgRWxvY/TVsMXcMYrlI/AAAAAAAAADQ/gOxnWHP70E4/s1600/smiling-dog.jpg
  • BrontoThunder
    Offline / Send Message
    BrontoThunder polycounter lvl 13
    Fantastic work, Motenai!
  • mihalceanu
    Offline / Send Message
    mihalceanu polycounter lvl 6
    Just finished my ck set to tie my old stuff together . Drop a like if u want :)

workshop link: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=187013245
    2q0rspv.jpg
  • Prophet9
    Offline / Send Message
    Prophet9 polycounter lvl 9
    Prosomogy wrote: »
    What you think guys?:\
    doc47308563_230679543?hash=8db780b4875f62ad22&dl=90395260f84b654a58&wnd=1

Amazing butterfly dude!
    You might want to consider a normal map on him though, to pop out some details.

:D

Just kidding, looks good.
  • Chemical Alia
    Offline / Send Message
    Chemical Alia polycounter lvl 7
    I finally got around to finishing my Enchantress set. :)

araceae_s_tribute___enchantress_by_chemicalalia-d6qwx6f.png
    motenai wrote: »
    Just finished my new set for Phantom Lancer.
    Teardrops of Elemental Ice

Wow, that's the bomb! Awesome job on that.
  • Lennyagony
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony polycounter lvl 14
    whoa big day for amazing workshop releases, stunning work across the board.
  • 7thBattery
    motenai & mihal: very cool stuff, I like :)
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    mihalceanu wrote: »
    Zipfinator : the face has some round/cuteish lines , and the eyes + teeths gives him the feeling of a laughter/happy expression . IMO the head of the horse kinda ruins the rest of the set ; gl with it :)

motenai : badass man :)

I don't particularly agree with your crits on the helmet and am quite happy with how it turned out. It's definitely my favorite item of the set. As for the horse, the bone definitely still needs a lot of texture tweaks. I just tested it in game and it's not nearly as jarring as it is flat shaded in Max though.

In a few days our horses will do battle on the workshop.

EDIT: Derp, you were talking about the horse. We did a quick edit on the eyes to mitigate some of the cuteness. The jaw is staying though.
  • Coyo.Te
    Offline / Send Message
    Coyo.Te polycounter lvl 4
    congrats to everbody who got stuff in the new patch except the guy who did the fuckin woodface ward. srsly?! delete dota plz -_-
  • Prosomogy
    Removed
    I find that what i want :D